Bon Secours Wellness Arena

distortedlogic

The Peace Center has another incredible season planned coming up. If you want great entertainment in Greenville, I suggest starting there, Spartan. There are many other awesome venues showcasing much of the Upstate's best talent that you can enjoy. The Bi-Lo Center has always done well with its concerts, although more variety would be nice. Right now, since the collapse of our awesome hockey team, the arena needs sports - period. There is no logical reason for this city to not play host to numerous sporting events. It is perfectly positioned for them, but people in positions of power have to realize this and harness the opportunity.

Believe it or not, I am familiar with my entertainment options in Gvegas.

I agree that sports are important. I just don't know how much hockey needs to be a part of it. I have only been to one hockey game in my life, and I wasn't that impressed with it. No offense to the Grrrowl either. Its just not a sport that I can get into. I think that basketball woudl be best... its too bad that the NCAA recognizes an illegitimate boycott.

First of all, going to one hockey match is not adequate experience to present a serious argument against the sport. You obvously did not sit near the rink. Anyone who isn't impressed after that experience must have been in a foul mood. I held a similar view until realizing how much more exciting the game is when seen from a lower perspective. You get into the action a whole lot more, believe me. :thumbsup:

It is called Greenville, not Gvegas. ;)

First of all, going to one hockey match is not adequate experience to present a serious argument against the sport. You obvously did not sit near the rink. Anyone who isn't impressed after that experience must have been in a foul mood. I held a similar view until realizing how much more exciting the game is when seen from a lower perspective. You get into the action a whole lot more, believe me. :thumbsup:

It is called Greenville, not Gvegas. ;)

If that were true the Grrrowl would not have folded. I have actually watched hockey on TV many times. I just don't find it very interesting.

Most of the time I call it Greenville, but sometimes I call it g-vegas. :blush: I wonder how that nickname came about?

That is a GREAT question. I have always wondered that myself. My guess is that the real Vegas is a fun, vibrant place... G-Vegas is also the same. I have also heard Nashvegas, which is probably more relative to the real Vegas. Perhaps it is derrived from that?

It stinks if Korn cancelled due to low ticket sales. I was planning on going, but I was going to buy my ticket the day of. I'm sure a lot more were planning on doing the same.

Apparently it was because of sickness or some other health-related issue with one of the lead performers. ;) They would never have to cancel because of low ticket sales in Greenville. :rolleyes:

My guess is that the real Vegas is a fun, vibrant place... G-Vegas is also the same. I have also heard Nashvegas, which is probably more relative to the real Vegas. Perhaps it is derrived from that?

Who knows where it started. But the first time I heard that was back when I started at USC in '96. All the students from Greenville called it G-Vegas. And I can't attest to the original definition, but I know we were all mocking our beloved but far less-than-thrilling city. I mean come on, we all love it, but Greenville is about as far from Vegas as you can get.

Who knows where it started. But the first time I heard that was back when I started at USC in '96. All the students from Greenville called it G-Vegas. And I can't attest to the original definition, but I know we were all mocking our beloved but far less-than-thrilling city. I mean come on, we all love it, but Greenville is about as far from Vegas as you can get.

It's a good thing too, if it were like LV I would move! Never been a fan of the Sin City. Would suit me to drop the whole G-Vegas thing. I had never heard of it before UP.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I should have added my thoughts... I think they can do it, though it might be a bit of a struggle at first. Greenville needs an outlet such as this. They just need to persue more concerts and shows, etc. like RT said. I would like to hear about big names coming to the area more often. We have 1.2 million people in the immediate area. We should be seeing more things like Charlotte gets than we do right now.

I guess I should have added my thoughts... I think they can do it, though it might be a bit of a struggle at first. Greenville needs an outlet such as this. They just need to persue more concerts and shows, etc. like RT said. I would like to hear about big names coming to the area more often. We have 1.2 million people in the immediate area. We should be seeing more things like Charlotte gets than we do right now.

There could be opportunity to be successful or to fail spectacuarly at the BLC. The BLC is geographically between several major arenas in the Atlanta area, Columbia's Colonial Center, two arenas in Charlotte and on up the road into the Piedmont Triad. Why would acts come to Greenville instead of these other places? That's the at least $500,000 question.

The scarriest thing to me about what I read in today's Greenville news is something I feared. The BLC is nearing its 10 year anniversary. The facility will need a refit sometime in the next few years. If there is no money to fund a refit, will the building slowly decay? I don't know, just don't. I did see where they are attempting to lure an Arena football team into the facility, so that's good. But otherwise times will be really tight and it will take a lot of things to go right for the BLC over the next few years.

Don't forget the arena over at a little old college called Clemson, too. That place seems to attact some huge concerts away from Greenville, too, especially in the fall season. :whistling:

Littlejohn has struggled to attract name acts for a while now. They'll get the occasional rock concert or such, but it's really not a big money maker for Clemson. They've had one concert, a Kid Rock concert, back in April, this year. It could be taking away acts from the BLC, but I really see the Colonial Center or Gwinnet's arena as more of competition.

The success of the Bi-Lo Center comes down to marketing. The facility is nice, it has 16,000 seats, and it's in a good city. There is honestly no excuse to say, "Oh well, we are between Charlotte and Atlanta and they are going to get the bigger acts before we are." We can't sell acts on Greenville alone, but Greenville itself does not hinder an artist from performing at the Bi-Lo Center. Do we know who is in charge of marketing and recruiting performers? It would be interesting to know their philosophy, what they have to offer a performer in comparison to other arenas, etc.

Littlejohn only seats half of the BiloCenter, if that. That shouldn't affect it that much. maybe some of the smaller to midsized acts.

Arena seating capacities:

Littlejohn Coliseum (Clemson University): 10,980

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/school-bio/f...ties-hoops.html

Bi-Lo Center: 15,951

http://www.bilocenter.com/content/arena-info/default.asp