Bon Secours Wellness Arena

distortedlogic

I think the point about 'making a night of it' is an important one to consider. Hopefully, whatever is built on the Gateway site will enhance the ability for people to spend more time and money downtown while attending events at the Bilo Center.

Other than visibility and ease of access by CAR, the Bilo Center does have a poor location, IMO.

One thing that would help hockey here would be for the Carolina Hurricanes to make another run at the Stanley Cup. That had people pretty excited and into the sport several years ago. Maybe the Hurricanes should play in Greenville once a year and really get people excited about the sport?

Successful hockey in SC = Four words...

Avid marketing & Affordable prices.

As everyone already knows, This has been done consistently to bring tremendous success to the Drive organization.

I agree, Skyliner. I wish all of these minor league sports teams would price tickets with the objective of getting butts in the seats and making their money on concessions. Getting 8,000 people to attend a hockey game at $5 a ticket, plus all the concession sales they would get as a result, seems like a better idea than charging $15 a ticket and only having 500 people attend. But maybe I'm making this too simplistic in my head.

The Drive have done a great job marketing the team and attracting fans while keeping ticket prices low. I wish we could have those guys in charge of our next hockey team!

I know this has been brought up before, but a comparison between the Drive at Fluor Field and the Growl at Bilo has to be considered. As many baseball fans might fall into very similar categories listed above, you must look at why the Drive is thriving and why the Grrowl did not.

The Venu-The Bilo Center has not been kept up very well, and certainly would not win any awards or accolades in comparison to Flour Field. They also seem to add something new each year at Fluor Field

Location/Access-The Bilo Center is isolated and its hard to "make a night of it" such as shopping and a show or dinner and an event. While Fluor field has spurred growth around it, the Bilo Center never has. There are abvious access/isolation issues, but they have to be resolved.

Focus on the Family-The lion's share of events that succeed in town are geared toward the family

Marketing/awareness-The Growl did not seem to gain much support from local news, televised or print compared to the Drive

You're 100% correct. The Bi-Lo Center is out of the way and despite being downtown, not integrated into downtown whatsoever. I could see a day, maybe 10-15 years down the road where a state of the art Arena/Convention Center was located somewhere near Flour Field as part of a huge mixed use complex. The BMW Centre, anyone? :thumbsup:

You're 100% correct. The Bi-Lo Center is out of the way and despite being downtown, not integrated into downtown whatsoever. I could see a day, maybe 10-15 years down the road where a state of the art Arena/Convention Center was located somewhere near Flour Field as part of a huge mixed use complex. The BMW Centre, anyone? :thumbsup:

Sure, the Bi-Lo Center is somewhat out of the way, but one would think that free parking and a free trolley service to and from events/games at the Bi-Lo Center would go a long way just as it has with Fluor Field. And it's really not that far of a walk from North Main, either, when you get right down to it.

Given that the Bi-Lo Center is only about a decade old, I doubt that your vision of a new arena in the west end will ever happen. What you're more likely to see is that instead of an arena being woven into the fabric of downtown, the fabric of downtown will be woven around the arena. To me, that's what's missing physicially with the Bi-Lo Center...it's not "part of the neighborhood" the way Fluor Field is...but that's not why I wouldn't go to hockey games there.

The single biggest deterant for me going to hockey at the Bi-Lo Center was the cost of the tickets and cost of the parking. Then, top it off with the cost of the food/beverages inside the facility...you could easily drop $150 or more for a night out for a family of 4. This is MINOR LEAGUE hockey, we're talking about...not the NHL. By contrast, I'd usually be looking at well under $100 for a family of 4 to go take in a ballgame at Fluor Field...provided I can keep the kids (and myself) away from the team store. :rolleyes:

I agree with Skyliner that Avid Marketing and Affordability are very important to success of any sports franchise (whether it be hockey or baseball or whatever).

Edit: One other note...if the people sitting around me at Sunday's G-Drive game are any indication, another thing that may help a franchise in Greenville would be an affiliation with the Pittsburgh Penguins. These people were paying closer attention to the score reports on their phones from Penguins-Rangers game than to the baseball game that was going on in front of them. :lol:

Edited by RestedTraveler

I think like I have said before here, minor league hockey can be successful in this area, but it has to be looked at separately from the arena. The Bi-Lo Center is fine for what it is, and after a 35 year fight to get one built, another one won't be built for a long time. And considering that other sites for the Bi-Lo Center included Berea and Simpsonville, being off East North Street isn't such a bad thing.

Minor league hockey is thriving two hours south on I 85, in Gwinnet, GA. It is also doing well two hours the other direction in Charlotte.

Burger underplayed why hockey is not active in the Pee Dee and in Columbia now. The owners of the Columbia team are building a new facility in the Irmo area, about 7,000 seats, and like lots of construction in the Greenville area, they are having some difficulty getting it off the ground. They were supposed' to be able to use the Colonial Center, a facility designed for hockey, but USC wouldn't let them, just as USC wouldn't let the Bombers use a new ballpark. So the Inferno had to use a sub standard rink for years in the old Carolina Coliseum, and now a new arena is being built. Same with the team that will begin playing again in Conway, SC, when their new arena, in conjunction with Coastal Carolina is built.

Marketing and price points and arena improvements are important, but really a new hockey team in Greenville has to have outside sources of revenue. I have mentioned before the Charlotte Checkers having their own ice facility that also serves as a fitness center and conference center. That would be needed and welcome in Greenville, and would provide a consistent source of revenue for a hockey team.

Minor league baseball has been in Greenville 70 out of the last 80 years. Folks are used to it and no one goes to the park because of the quality of the team. They go for the entertainment value, which is rarely consistent with the quality of the team. One of the worst G Braves teams had one of the teams highest levels of attendance. The Drive team, in both years of West End Field, was just awful at times, especially for a Low A team, but they still set attendance records - yes, partly for the newness of the facility, but also because the entertainment value, especially considering the price, was high.

Minor league hockey, with a NHL team in Atlanta and another one in Raleigh, with two successful minor league franchises in Gwinnett and Charlotte, can work in Greenville. But to make it work, consistent streams of revenue, and admittedly well funded ownership, have to be available. If a new owner comes in and only expects to make money off sales at the Bi-Lo Center, it just won't work. I don't care how good the marketing is. If a new owner comes in and has other team sources of revenue, I'd say that there is a good chance the team can work out in the long term.

• 1 year later...

OMG!!!!!!!!!! I am horrified, mad and angry! What idiot is the managing Bi-Lo Center???? Read this story:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...r+Crawfish+Boil

Bi-Lo Center management had 14 trees (10 year old trees) cut down because they thought they would block the outdoor stage for this weekends Crafish Boil event??????? WTF??????? Cut down 10 year old trees for one weekend event??????? Are they frickin ignorant? Dumb? This infuriates me!

I urge everyone to call Bi-Lo Center management and make your displeasure known or send a letter. Roger Newton is the facilities director who ordered this to be done and he already has a message on his phone this morning from me as well as several other people I know. Roger Newton should be fired!

This tops the chart for ignorant act of the year!

If all this festival needed was a big parking lot, couldn't they have used County square or some other one? What's the point of being at the BiLo center if they aren't going to use the arena ?

This was a dumb decision and a waste of trees that tax funds partially paid for.

If all this festival needed was a big parking lot, couldn't they have used County square or some other one? What's the point of being at the BiLo center if they aren't going to use the arena ?

Exactly!

Bi-Lo Center management really needs to take some lessons from Fluor Field management.

If you want to call and voice your disapproval:

Number: 241-3800

Then #4

Speak with either Delores Keene or Gail Cameron, both are admin assistants to Roger Newton (he apparently will not take calls on the subject......there's some cracker jack management for ya).

Exactly!

Bi-Lo Center management really needs to take some lessons from Fluor Field management.

If you want to call and voice your disapproval:

Number: 241-3800

Then #4

Speak with either Delores Keene or Gail Cameron, both are admin assistants to Roger Newton (he apparently will not take calls on the subject......there's some cracker jack management for ya).

I called and told the secretary that I would be cutting down the trees in Mr. Newton's front yard, as they are blocking my view of his house. She said, "You can't do that. Those aren't your trees." I said, "That didn't stop Mr. Newton from cutting down trees at the Bi-Lo Center that weren't his, did it?"

Okay, so I did not really do this. But I should, and I might.

Funny how forum members on here will complain about 14 trees being cut down in a parking lot but never said a peep when hundreds of trees were cut down to make way for developments like the Shops at Greenridge, Verdae, Carolina First new headquarters, Hubbell Lighting, ICAR, and many others. Just sayin. :whistling:

Surely you cannot be comparing the cutting of trees to make way for development projects that will create hundreds, even thousands, of jobs and stimulate the local economy for several years to come to the cutting of trees for a one-weekend event that will do little, if anything, for the local economy for subjective aesthetic purposes.

Greenville seems to have a "growth at all costs" mentality, so people don't really care if trees were cut down for Greenridge, the Carolina First campus, etc....even though the developments listed are mostly examples of very low-density sprawl that could have been built in much more environmentally-friendly ways that would not have required large-scale cutting down of trees (such as building the Carolina First campus downtown or otherwise to use less land, and Greenridge could certainly have been built with higher-density buildings and parking garages rather than massive parking lots, perhaps re-developing a previously developed area). Good points above.

Greenville seems to have a "growth at all costs" mentality, so people don't really care if trees were cut down for Greenridge, the Carolina First campus, etc....even though the developments listed are mostly examples of very low-density sprawl that could have been built in much more environmentally-friendly ways that would not have required large-scale cutting down of trees (such as building the Carolina First campus downtown or otherwise to use less land, and Greenridge could certainly have been built with higher-density buildings and parking garages rather than massive parking lots, perhaps re-developing a previously developed area). Good points above.

You single out Greenville, but that is the norm virtually everywhere in the south. BTW, ICAR DOES have a garage and is significantly denser and than the norm for suburban office parks.

Funny how forum members on here will complain about 14 trees being cut down in a parking lot but never said a peep when hundreds of trees were cut down to make way for developments like the Shops at Greenridge, Verdae, Carolina First new headquarters, Hubbell Lighting, ICAR, and many others. Just sayin. :whistling:

Hollingsworth Lands were meant to be harvested for their trees were they not? Those were mostly pines and were not substantial or worth keeping for their developments.

You single out Greenville, but that is the norm virtually everywhere in the south. BTW, ICAR DOES have a garage and is significantly denser and than the norm for suburban office parks.

True- you're correct.

I wish those developments had been built downtown- considering all that Riverplace has done for downtown, 3x Riverplace would have been superb- but I guess I should count my (and Greenville's) blessings!

Well, trees cut down for huge developments like Greenridge, Verdae, Carolina First, Hubbell, and CU-ICAR were cut down to make room for something that creates many jobs and really helps the economy. They weren't cut down because a few people wouldn't be able to see the stage at a freakin' concert in a parking lot.

Next!

You have noticed that once these developments were built, where these trees were cut down, a major amount of new plantings have gone in? Trees Greenville worked with Carolina First on replanting plans.....count the trees....hundreds....all long life hardwoods. Same with Hubbell. Have you looked at Greenridge lately? Major amounts of trees....another few years and there will be great shade in this center. These developments happened and trees were cut down just like in any city USA. Greenville has been proactive in the amount of replanting.

As for Bi-Lo, weren't trees also cut down years ago when it was built? New trees were planted and now those trees were cut down for some low rent, one time concert. Sorry, that is ignorant and wrong.

My neighbor has a beautiful Fraser Fir in his front yard and I'm having a last minute Christmas party tonight. I did't have time to plan well or make it to a tree farm to get a Christmas tree. I'll just cut the one in his front yard and bring it in my house.....decorate it. He won't mind, afterall I am having this big party tonight! :wacko:

i have noticed a bunch of trees palnted along Pleasantburg lately. I believe it is from the same group, Trees Greenville. I know they did some plant at the 385/Woodruff interchange too.

Anybody know more abou this organization? Main St and the airport both illustrate the value of substantial plantings of trees. In another 10-15 years these new trees will provide the same added benefit.

i have noticed a bunch of trees palnted along Pleasantburg lately. I believe it is from the same group, Trees Greenville. I know they did some plant at the 385/Woodruff interchange too.

Anybody know more abou this organization? Main St and the airport both illustrate the value of substantial plantings of trees. In another 10-15 years these new trees will provide the same added benefit.

Here is the link to their website.

http://www.treesgreenville.org/

Excellent organization. I spoke with them yesterday about the Bi-Lo issue. They were sick over it. They are mounting a campaign for everyone to flood Bi-Lo with calls and letters. They are not an organization that will mount a physical protest, instead, they will work behind the scenes with the city for positive resolution. They assured me the city is upset over this, and Bi-Lo will have to pay up / own up / correct the mistake.

Trees Greenville actually gets actively involved with education. They see this Bi-Lo issue as a chance to educate the public on the importance of trees. One great thing as well.....apparently Greenville News is working on a follow up story on the Bi-Lo issue, but the follow-up story will be from the perspective of Trees Greenville....listing how trees lower the temps in parking lot heat islands, clean the air of auto exhaust, etc, etc.

Excellent organization. I spoke with them yesterday about the Bi-Lo issue. They were sick over it. They are mounting a campaign for everyone to flood Bi-Lo with calls and letters. They are not an organization that will mount a physical protest, instead, they will work behind the scenes with the city for positive resolution. They assured me the city is upset over this, and Bi-Lo will have to pay up / own up / correct the mistake.

Trees Greenville actually gets actively involved with education. They see this Bi-Lo issue as a chance to educate the public on the importance of trees. One great thing as well.....apparently Greenville News is working on a follow up story on the Bi-Lo issue, but the follow-up story will be from the perspective of Trees Greenville....listing how trees lower the temps in parking lot heat islands, clean the air of auto exhaust, etc, etc.

This is great news on several fronts! :shades:

The Bi-Lo Center should be held responsible for their actions with these trees, especially since their justification was a stupid one (not to mention a violation of city code). I am glad that Trees Greenville is going about this the right way, mounting an aggressive yet productive response (rather than just being "loud" to attract attention to themselves). The retort in The Greenville News should be interesting, too!

The plantings are being done by the city through a DOT grant not TreesGreenville.

Contact the Greenville News, this is an embarrassment and disgrace and I think, if given the right amount of attemtion could be a big, minor story. i'm behind you 100% on this one, buddy. Post it on c-d also, get all of the attention to this you can. I can't stand housing developments that clear cut all of the land, that was a major reason my wife and i chose the house that we did; the developer made sure to leave a very significant amount of trees on each lot.

Contact the Greenville News, this is an embarrassment and disgrace and I think, if given the right amount of attemtion could be a big, minor story. i'm behind you 100% on this one, buddy. Post it on c-d also, get all of the attention to this you can. I can't stand housing developments that clear cut all of the land, that was a major reason my wife and i chose the house that we did; the developer made sure to leave a very significant amount of trees on each lot.

Wah, wah, wah!! Get over it. The Bi-Lo Center will be planting shrubs in their place. Don't you people have enough to worry about than a few trees. BTW, it's not a one time event, it will be an annual event. Get your signs ready, I want to see a protest next May. :rofl: