Bon Secours Wellness Arena

distortedlogic

I think this whole thing was ridiculous from the start. If you have a mega-sized weekend festival needing a large outdoor stage, there are several more logical locations to host it than the smallish BI-LO Center parking lot. The most obvious choice should have been the Heritage Park Amphitheatre in Simpsonville. The stage is already set up and no trees would have been unnecessarily killed just for the short event. The same number of people would have been welcome to attend (if not more?), and everyone would have been happy, including most of the people living near the BI-LO Center. Most importantly as it relates to this discussion, the BI-LO Center administration would not have allowed something illegal to happen and would still be considered decent people by nearly everyone.

The city vs. trees debate boils down to this: If you don't like trees in the city, you probably won't like Greenville - and many other cities as well. If you don't think trees are very important in a city, you may want to live for a while in a city (especially a southern U.S. city) without trees. The mature trees in Greenville's urban areas have become a significant element of community pride. While they look very attractive, they are also extremely beneficial during the heat of the summer.

Equating trees being cut down at the Bi-Lo Center with trees being cut down on Main Street is just senseless. The two are not even comparable! Some trees on Main were cut down because they were sick, dying, etc. A few were cut down to make room for other existing trees, and keep the canopy healthy and enjoyable for all for years to come. This "pruning" process is very different from the Bi-Lo Center cutting down trees so people could see the stage for one weekend concert. And then the Bi-Lo Center folks had the gall to say that trees were cut down so kids wouldn't climb on them and hurt themselves? And we're supposed to be okay with it because it was a popular concert and because they promise to plant shrubs to compensate for it? How insulting!

I am no "tree hugger," but I believe we have a responsibility to the environment. That doesn't mean that we can't kill weeds or cut down a tree, but what kind of message are we sending when we cut down 10 year-old trees for a freakin' concert? A concert that could have been held inside the Bi-Lo Center itself, or another venue where trees would not have to be cut down (e.g., Heritage Park)!

Edited by Greenville

Equating trees being cut down at the Bi-Lo Center with trees being cut down on Main Street is just senseless. The two are not even comparable! Some trees on Main were cut down because they were sick, dying, etc. A few were cut down to make room for other existing trees, and keep the canopy healthy and enjoyable for all for years to come. This "pruning" process is very different from the Bi-Lo Center cutting down trees so people could see the stage for one weekend concert. And then the Bi-Lo Center folks had the gall to say that trees were cut down so kids wouldn't climb on them and hurt themselves? And we're supposed to be okay with it because it was a popular concert and because they promise to plant shrubs to compensate for it? How insulting!

I am no "tree hugger," but I believe we have a responsibility to the environment. That doesn't mean that we can't kill weeds or cut down a tree, but what kind of message are we sending when we cut down 10 year-old trees for a freakin' concert? A concert that could have been held inside the Bi-Lo Center itself, or another venue where trees would not have to be cut down (e.g., Heritage Park)!

I have lived in Greenville most of my life, including some time spent living downtown. I can honestly say the 14 trees cutdown in the Bi-Lo Center parking lot never contributed to my quality of life. In fact I have hardly if ever noticed them. I have never seen anyone walking around the parking lot enjoying the trees. When I lived downtown, even inside my condo I could hear crowd noise and fireworks coming from Flour Field. If I would have complained would the city have shutdown the games? Doubt it. This was a knee jerk reaction to appease a very few paople. The city received less than 100 complaints. So again we have the very small loud minority getting what they want. FWIW I went by there both nights just to see what was going on. Down Church St. right beside the stage I could hear it but it certainly wasn't loud by any means. On Academy and E. North I could not hear it at all. I find it very hard to believe that anyone in the area could hear it enough to make out ceetain words inside their house.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, Simpsonville's Heritage Park is really stepping it up a notch. The Bilo Center definitely has some competition on its hands.

This is what the schedule for the 16,000 seat amphitheater looks like:

June 20: STYX, REO Speedwagon, .38 Special

July 4: 2nd annual Independence Day at Heritage Park, featuring the Greenville Symphony Orchestra

July 29: Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, & John Mellencamp

September 12 & 13: RockStock, featuring 24 bands from the 70's, 80's, 90's, and today

All of these will probably be well attended, with 3 of the 4 being events that the Bilo Center could have hosted.

Wow, Simpsonville's Heritage Park is really stepping it up a notch. The Bilo Center definitely has some competition on its hands.

This is what the schedule for the 16,000 seat amphitheater looks like:

June 20: STYX, REO Speedwagon, .38 Special

July 4: 2nd annual Independence Day at Heritage Park, featuring the Greenville Symphony Orchestra

July 29: Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, & John Mellencamp

September 12 & 13: RockStock, featuring 24 bands from the 70's, 80's, 90's, and today

All of these will probably be well attended, with 3 of the 4 being events that the Bilo Center could have hosted.

This is not a 16,000 "seat" venue. It's a basically sit on the grass venue. The lineup is not that impressive either. The Styx etc show played the Bi-Lo Center last year and the Bob Dylan/Willie Nelson gig played at the old Greenville Municipal Stadium last year.

This is not a 16,000 "seat" venue. It's a basically sit on the grass venue. The lineup is not that impressive either. The Styx etc show played the Bi-Lo Center last year and the Bob Dylan/Willie Nelson gig played at the old Greenville Municipal Stadium last year.

Sorry, it's 3,800 "seat" venue and boasts a capacity for 16,000 guests.

As for the lineup, it's great that Heritage Park is lining up acts and offering entertainment for the Upstate. The STYX lineup did not include .38 special when they played here last, and it's been 4 years since Bob Dylan played in Greenville. Considering that prices are 67.50 and 47.50 for the Dylan concert, call me crazy, but I'm going to say that they're expecting some demand there. :dontknow:

There's been discussion on here before about whether or not the Bilo Center and Heritage Park will be rivals for getting events in the Upstate. And while these may not have been greatly sought after events (who knows), it's possible that this could be the first step for HP in attracting some bigger names, and really giving the Bilo Center a run for their money.

The last thing I want to see is a venue give the Bilo Center a run for their money. I want to see the arena succeed not fail.

I don't know that these two are direct competitors, as the Bi-Lo Center is not setup to handle all-day or multi-day music festivals as well as Heritage Park is. However, I do think these shows at Heritage Park (which are definitely solid) should make the Bi-Lo Center realize that there is a wide diversity of interests in Greenville. Their musical acts shouldn't just consist of country music and southern gospel. At least the recent Snoop Dogg concert offered something a little different, even though it took cutting down trees to pull it off. :rolleyes:

Edited by Greenville

But still no hockey. Someone remind me again what the primary purpose for the Bi-Lo Center was when it was built? :whistling:

I think it was for parking lot events. At least that's the only event I've heard about occurring there for as long as I can remember. Oh yeah - and the monster truck show, featuring GRAVE DIGGER!!!!!!!!!! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!! SUNDAY!!!

Exactly! :lol:

Well, say what you want but I have seen many concerts there that would have never come to Greenville before. I just saw the Eagles in January and Kenny Chesney a couple of weeks ago and will be seeing Keith Urban there this week, Everyone from Neil Diamond to Billy Joel to Elton John to Janet Jackson to Nickleback. The Bi-Lo center put Greenville on the entertainment map.

• 1 month later...

Well, say what you want but I have seen many concerts there that would have never come to Greenville before. I just saw the Eagles in January and Kenny Chesney a couple of weeks ago and will be seeing Keith Urban there this week, Everyone from Neil Diamond to Billy Joel to Elton John to Janet Jackson to Nickleback. The Bi-Lo center put Greenville on the entertainment map.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band Sept. 16th at the Bi-Lo center. This my friends is a bigtime concert.

But still no hockey. Someone remind me again what the primary purpose for the Bi-Lo Center was when it was built? :whistling:

Does anyone know if construction of the ECHL's Columbia Inferno's new arena in Irmo commenced? The team extended their voluntary suspension through 2010. I heard rumors of the organization speaking with the Bi-Lo Center about relocating the team to Greenville. This would lead to these questions: (1) Is Greenville ready for ice hockey to return; and, (2) Should the ECHL reenter the market, or would another league be sufficient.

They shouldn't settle for anything less than the ECHL. We don't need some fly-by-night league in here.

I see no reason why Greenville shouldn't have ECHL. Charlotte supports it very well... I'm still holding out hope we will one day get the AHL. I agree that you don't want anything less than ECHL. I lived in Richmond, Va for a number of years and the ECHL did draw well for a while. However support faded, the league left and the city kept putting these wanna be leagues in that never lasted more than a few seasons. Now as it stands I don't believe they have hockey. Greenville definitely doesn't want that situation.

Edited by dbull75

I do not see Greenville in the AHL. It is a high tier league with teams in the northern United States and eastern Canada. The old IHL spanned the southern United States.

The ECHL is a good mid tier league. It has too many teams spread out across North America. Travel costs would be montrocities. I would prefer a similar tier league with a couple teams limited to the southeastern United States.

The SPHL, a low tier league, is entering markets the ECHL has left. Moving up to mid tier would give ECHL competition, and may influence southeastern ECHL teams to switch to SPHL.

I do not see Greenville in the AHL. It is a high tier league with teams in the northern United States and eastern Canada. The old IHL spanned the southern United States.

The ECHL is a good mid tier league. It has too many teams spread out across North America. Travel costs would be montrocities. I would prefer a similar tier league with a couple teams limited to the southeastern United States.

The SPHL, a low tier league, is entering markets the ECHL has left. Moving up to mid tier would give ECHL competition, and may influence southeastern ECHL teams to switch to SPHL.

Agreed about Greenville in the AHL... I was actually referring to Charlotte and the AHL. I think ECHL would be a good match for Greeville. It's a very solid league IMO.

Does anyone know if construction of the ECHL's Columbia Inferno's new arena in Irmo commenced? The team extended their voluntary suspension through 2010. I heard rumors of the organization speaking with the Bi-Lo Center about relocating the team to Greenville. This would lead to these questions: (1) Is Greenville ready for ice hockey to return; and, (2) Should the ECHL reenter the market, or would another league be sufficient.

I would welcome ECHL hockey back to town. I think it has been long enough that Greenville can take another opportunity with the league/sport and support them better. As we've all discussed before, the most important ingredient is their management.

HA! Wouldn't it be funny to land another Columbia team? But, 'oh, they never liked them in the first place.' :silly:

Having lived in Knoxville for a time, I can tell you that the SPHL has gone over well there. I think they had an ECHL team (Cherokees?) at one time and then went without hockey for a spell. They play in dump and most of the players still hold down regular jobs, but the team draws really well. The organization has done a nice job of reaching out to the community and UT. I think an SPHL would go well for Greenville if it were marketed the right way. Reaching out to families, as well as, the local colleges would help. Plus, the natural Southern rivalries would perhaps get the fans more excited.