Bon Secours Wellness Arena

distortedlogic

Here are some ideas for names; the last 3 relating to hockey terminology.

Greenville Glide (kind of weak)

Greenville Tigers (Clemson/ICAR connection?)

Greenville Rush (as in odd-man rush to the net for a scoring chance)

Greenville Crash (as in crashing the net)

Greenville Grinders (grinders being hard workers)

Should we start coming up with names? silly.png

Greenville Groove. oh, wait.... ermm.gif

In keeping with embarassing names like "Drive," "Groove," and "Grrrrrrrrowl," I think the team should be called the "Greenville Puck." Singular, of course, never plural. That would be too "sports-like."

Hey, just think of the chants we could hurl at opposing teams with a name like that. thumbsup.gif

How about something that related to the region or the Upcountry... Greenville Highlanders (Relating to the Scottish settlers in the Upcountry, complete with a kilt and bagpipes!) Greenville Mountaineers (Richard Pearis-like mascot anyone?), Greenville Spinners (cycling now...textile related past)

I like Greenville Highlanders. That has a lot of potential for fan involvement (kilts and bagpipes, as you mentioned)!

I like the Highlanders suggestion too. It's different without being weird or stupid. Plus, it's appropriate given the region's history (and topography!).

The Greenville Spinners were actually a minor league basketball team in the late 80s/early 90s. They played in the old Greenville Memorial Auditorium. I prefer not to revisit that name, although it would mean something with our recent growth as a cycling city.

How about something that related to the region or the Upcountry... Greenville Highlanders (Relating to the Scottish settlers in the Upcountry, complete with a kilt and bagpipes!) Greenville Mountaineers (Richard Pearis-like mascot anyone?), Greenville Spinners (cycling now...textile related past)

Both Highlanders and Mountaineers would be great names. You should tell whoever is in charge!

Highlanders? Very cool, very interesting name. And it meets all the real-sports-name requirements - it is PLURAL, it's NOT A VERB (leave that to the WNBA, please), it's locally relevant, and you can ultimately have a mascot wielding some sort of ancient, brutal weapon. Love the Scottish ideas, but I may have to draw the line at "Half-Price Haggis Night." rolleyes.gif

I like the name Highlanders, but that might be because I'm from New York and that was the original name of the Yankees. Do you think southerners would have a problem with that?

Highlanders? Very cool, very interesting name. And it meets all the real-sports-name requirements - it is PLURAL, it's NOT A VERB (leave that to the WNBA, please), it's locally relevant, and you can ultimately have a mascot wielding some sort of ancient, brutal weapon. Love the Scottish ideas, but I may have to draw the line at "Half-Price Haggis Night." rolleyes.gif

I like the name Highlanders, but that might be because I'm from New York and that was the original name of the Yankees. Do you think southerners would have a problem with that?

Good sports trivia SouthernYankee. I have no problem with the Highlanders/Yankees reference, especially since they were ORIGINALLY the (once powerful) Baltimore Orioles. Ahh, the good old days of the 1890's...

• 1 month later...

The Greenville Force won their season/home opener this past Friday at the BI-LO Center. The venue then hosted the inaugural Top of the Hops Beer Festival on Saturday, followed on Sunday by an Alan Jackson concert. Meanwhile, the Greenville Drive have been playing baseball in the West End amidst a home stand that will last through Thursday evening.

This October, we will once again have the tremendous opportunity to cheer for a hometown professional ice hockey team. The team's owner (and head coach) is enthusiastic about the move to Greenville, stating that he has fallen in love with our city and can't wait to relocate here himself. He will bring decades of professional experience as well, since he was the General Manager of the New York Rangers from 1989 to 2000 and Team President beginning in 1992. In 1994, he led the Rangers to their first Stanley Cup championship victory in 54 years.

This October, we will once again have the tremendous opportunity to cheer for a hometown professional ice hockey team. The team's owner (and head coach) is enthusiastic about the move to Greenville, stating that he has fallen in love with our city and can't wait to relocate here himself. He will bring decades of professional experience as well, since he was the General Manager of the New York Rangers from 1989 to 2000 and Team President beginning in 1992. In 1994, he led the Rangers to their first Stanley Cup championship victory in 54 years.

As a Ranger fan who vividly remembers the 1994 season, I'd like to personally welcome Neil to Greenville. It'll be nice to balance out the Boston influence that accompanies the Drive (no disrespect).

Anyone know what the team name will be yet? How about a Schedule? ... can't wait, is it obvious?

Looks like the team will be holding a contest for citizens to submit name suggestions. For those of you who do not like the Drive name, here is your chance with this team to actively participate in naming of the new hockey team. Article from GV News:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/23136208/detail.html

Glad to see the ticket prices are lower than the Grrrowl's were. :) Wish they were more in line with the Drive though. Hopefully everybody on here suggest they use the name Greenville Highlanders for the new team name. The more people who vote for that name, the better chances we have of it getting chosen.