Bon Secours Wellness Arena

distortedlogic

4 hours ago, apaladin said:

Yep, record is 6,096 in 2020 so that is possible. Vegas has FU favored by 11 which I think  is too many points to give. Will be happy with just a W.

What game was that? I am surprised because 2020 was a covid year. I found it. You were right. It was the February 2020 game against the Terriers.

Edited by gman

On 2/4/2023 at 3:58 PM, gman said:

What game was that? I am surprised because 2020 was a covid year. I found it. You were right. It was the February 2020 game against the Terriers.

Set a new record at 6,199. Old record for a Furman home game was 6,127 back in 1970 vs. South Carolina at the old GMA. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, apaladin said:

Set a new record at 6,199. Old record for a Furman home game was 6,127 back in 1970 vs. South Carolina at the old GMA. 

As an aside, does anybody remember when No. 3 DePaul came to GMA to play Furman in 1982? Furman outplayed them for virtually the entire game but lost by one, 75-74. GMA was LOUD; louder than I ever heard it. One of the best times I ever had there, except for the loss.

31 minutes ago, Exile said:

As an aside, does anybody remember when No. 3 DePaul came to GMA to play Furman in 1982? Furman outplayed them for virtually the entire game but lost by one, 75-74. GMA was LOUD; louder than I ever heard it. One of the best times I ever had there, except for the loss.

Yes I was there, great game that FU should have won. :dontknow: DePaul was coached by the legendary Ray Meyer and went 26-2 that season. They beat SC by 33 that year.  Funny they lost in their tournament and did not make the NCAA tournament. That was back when only the conference champion got to go. 

Edited by apaladin
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow- that’s great attendance! You could definitely tell that downtown this weekend (in addition to all of the other things going on). 
As long as the gamecocks maintain their superiority in the sport (this pains me to say as a Clemson grad), Greenville is well positioned to be the host city. From what I saw on the streets, LSU and Tennessee both showed up in good numbers. Greenville definitely shined, and the good weather was icing on the cake! 

• Like 3

Well of course.  SC  VS Tenn was the most perfect match up they could have possibly had for a final (attendance wise). They are both women's basketball schools that pack out their home arenas  for the sport. SC pretty much a home team and Tenn travels extremely well for women's basketball.

Apparently the arena sprung a leak during the LSU and Georgia game interrupting the game.  LSU coach Kim Mulkey comments on it at the 11:45 mark of this presser.  Her comment "Aren't they hosting a regional  here? They might want to get it fixed. Not a good look."  I love Mulkey's style. She is quite the character.

1 hour ago, vistatiger said:

Well of course.  SC  VS Tenn was the most perfect match up they could have possibly had for a final (attendance wise). They are both women's basketball schools that pack out their home arenas  for the sport. SC pretty much a home team and Tenn travels extremely well for women's basketball.

Apparently the arena sprung a leak during the LSU and Georgia game interrupting the game.  LSU coach Kim Mulkey comments on it at the 11:45 mark of this presser.  Her comment "Aren't they hosting a regional  here? They might want to get it fixed. Not a good look."  I love Mulkey's style. She is quite the character.

Good gosh. Much to do about nothing. But, I like here bluntness. She is a good coach. 

Poor Greensville. Broke the SEC attendance record and now broke the March Madness attendance record for women’s basketball: 

https://www.espn.co.uk/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35984164/women-ncaa-tournament-sets-regional-attendance-record?platform=amp

The Seattle regional, played at Climate Pledge Arena, set the pace with 43,556 fans. Greensville had 38,719 fans show at Bon Secours Wellness Arena.“

YAY Greensville.   :lol: :D 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

LOL.  I have heard that many times in the airport. They will  often announce Greensville-Spartanburg or  Greenville-Spartansburg.

It would be interesting to see what the numbers would be without SC playing in the Greenville regional. Basically home games for them.

Edited by vistatiger