Bon Secours Wellness Arena

distortedlogic

Don't forget the arena over at a little old college called Clemson, too. That place seems to attact some huge concerts away from Greenville, too, especially in the fall season. :whistling:

Littlejohn has struggled to attract name acts for a while now. They'll get the occasional rock concert or such, but it's really not a big money maker for Clemson. They've had one concert, a Kid Rock concert, back in April, this year. It could be taking away acts from the BLC, but I really see the Colonial Center or Gwinnet's arena as more of competition.

Here's a perfect example of that to which I was referring (yes, that "Beavis and Butthead do America" movie really did leave a lasting impression on me). It seems like Littlejohn lands 4-5 big shows like this each year that should otherwise be coming to the Bi-Lo Center. It may not be a big money-maker for Clemson, but these shows could be a nice shot in the arm for the Bi-Lo Center (and Greenville). :whistling:

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody's got a snazzy wide angle lens, now's a great time to get a nighttime shot of the Bi-Lo Center. They've got the top of the building illuminated with red/pink flood lights again. :thumbsup: Man, I can't believe there's no hockey this year. :cry:

Those lights have been on recently as well. It would be nice to see something like this more often, only green or white instead. :shades:

• 1 month later...

It doesn't sound to bad to me. The arena will probably be refinanced based on realistic revenues. The building has no value except in it's current use, so they definitely won't stop having events there. The banks will take something of a hit I suppose, but the burden is shared, so it will probably not cause a significant ripple.

It doesn't sound to bad to me. The arena will probably be refinanced based on realistic revenues. The building has no value except in it's current use, so they definitely won't stop having events there. The banks will take something of a hit I suppose, but the burden is shared, so it will probably not cause a significant ripple.

Question is what is the current use? A concert or two a month? I'm not sure the arena can support much beyond that due to expenses. It would certainly rule out the investment needed in a minor league team like a hockey team. Seems the arena is in maintenance mode, not growth, which makes it difficult to compete with arenas in Columbia, Charlotte, Gwinnett, the Triad, etc. That's what I mean by things not getting much better.

On a positive side, the exterior has had both red and green lights shining onto the upper wall for quite awhile now. :shades:

We have the facility, now we need to attract the events. The city sells itself, but we should be out there trying to get every sporting and concert event we possibly can. I am reminded of the awesome billboard over the Church Street bridge as you cross over part of downtown. It has a picture of the teenage surfer who lost one of her entire arms from a shark bite. The words you read on the sign are: "Me quit? NEVER!" I think it is so appropriate for the current condition facing our beloved and previously long-awaited state-of-the-art downtown arena.

It's pretty simple: All the Bi-Lo Center needs is more dates booked.

Clemson, Carolina, and Furman could all help towards that by playing 1-2 games per year there. A minor league hockey team would go a long way to filling a lot of dates, as would arena football or minor league baseball. And, of course, more concerts would certainly help.

Clemson, Carolina, and Furman could all help towards that by playing 1-2 games per year there. A minor league hockey team would go a long way to filling a lot of dates, as would arena football or minor league baseball. And, of course, more concerts would certainly help.

In the BLC's current financial situation, what guarantees could they make to collegiate and minor league squads? Furman students won't walk across campus to watch a game. I guess USC could schedule a game v Furman at the BLC, but that would depend on Furman asking for financial gaurantees. USC won't give up a home game at the Colonial Center to support the BLC, since the Colonial Center competes against the BLC.

Clemson has played twice in the BLC during the Rick Barnes years eight years ago to Illinois and to Furman. The BLC lost money on the Furman v Clemson game and broke even in a contest vs. Illinois. Clemson's current AD has expressed no desire to play a home basketball game outside of Littlejohn, especially since the university is still paying off bonds for the Littlejohn renovation three years ago.

Not trying to be debbie downer here, but the the BLC's options are few, with similar sized arenas in Gwinnett, Columbia, Charlotte and so on. Being in a maintenance mode until indebtedness is handled really hampers growth of the arena's offerings. It would be great if the NCAA basketball tournament came back to town, but until the NAACP boycott is "lifted" that won't happen.

Clemson has played twice in the BLC during the Rick Barnes years eight years ago to Illinois and to Furman. The BLC lost money on the Furman v Clemson game and broke even in a contest vs. Illinois. Clemson's current AD has expressed no desire to play a home basketball game outside of Littlejohn, especially since the university is still paying off bonds for the Littlejohn renovation three years ago.

Clemson played more recently against Georgia(?) at the Bilo Center. I don't know how they did on money, but downtown was blanketed with orange.

Arena management is totally out of my league, but what kind of guarntees are you referring to? Wouldn't a college pay rent to BLC for use of the facility? same with a Hockey team. The arena is already built to accomodate hockey so where is the investment on BLC's part?

Guarantees in returns on tickets sold, or what the participating schools can expect to bring home after expenses. If it is less than what they would expect from a home game, including things like concessions, parking, etc, then they wouldn't have economic incentive to playing the game at the BLC. There are some deals that can be worked out, but if the money isn't there, it probably wouldn't happen.

For example the Clemson v Illinois matchup in '98 I think, was televised on ESPN, so broadcast fees would come into account there. There wouldn't be much of an economic incentive for, say Furman to play a home game against Clemson at Timmons Arena as opposed to Clemson. It could be worked out for Furman to have a home game against Clemson at the BLC, but Furman would have to at least make what they would make on a home game after expenses, and Clemson would have to account for what a probable Clemson v Furman matchup in Clemson would bring in and see if a game in Greenville would be profitable.

Not saying that it couldn't happen, or wont' in the future, as indicated by Furman playing two games there this season, but the deal has to be right to suit all the parties involved. Just my point being because of the BLC's present financial structure, their options in luring a college game or other type sporting event are more limited than they would be if they weren't in the straits they were in.

Reading recently how the Bi-Lo Center just met financial demise, it is time to look at ways to make it financially stable and serving its usefulness.

1.) Hockey team for 2007-8

The resulting folding of the Grrrowl cost the Bi-Lo Center's its major attraction, hockey.

Several other leagues are expressing interest in bring a team here for the upcoming season. The ECHL has expressed a return in a year or two. A team relocating here is more likely, expansion would happen in 2008.

2.) More concerts

Bi-Lo Center is finally getting decent acts - Billy Joel, Duran Duran, etc.

3.) Basketball/indoor football

Basketball will see some use by college teams (Clemson, Furman).

Indoor football after two teams deserves a hard look. A lack of advertising and promotions hurt the sport.

Indoor football after two teams deserves a hard look. A lack of advertising and promotions hurt the sport.

Keep in mind that the 2nd team really never materialized here and they were already in financial trouble, I believe, which is why they were attempting to relocate to what they felt would be a better market for them. I really can't blame the Bi-Lo Center for being choosy with regard to picking a league/team that is financially stable. Also consider that an arena football team wouldn't occupy too many dates on a calendar.

Ideally, long term, I'd like to see this:

1. Renegotiate the bond package for the BLC to more accurately reflect the arena's earning potential

2. Get rid of Centrepoint as the management company of the BLC

3. Invest in aggressive marketing of concerts with low performance fees, try to build on volume to keep turnstiles turning. Try to have a holiday basketball tournament, work to get the NCAA tournament back into town, etc.

4. As the finances stabilize, ensure that maintenance on the facility is up to date and the newest spectator amenities are installed.

5. Once the financial situation is stabilized, aggressively pursue the establishment of a new or relocated ECHL or AHL (equivalent of a AA or AAA franchise) to arrive and set up shop. Ensure that the rent is lower than the Grrrowl paid so the new team can aggressively promote itself to the community, perhaps working with others locally to have a practice facility built in addition to the Pavillion ice center.

Overall, this could take 5-7 years to come to fruition. It will take work, probably some dedicated staff, private public partnership. It will take time and patience, but it will take cooperation.

I was under the impression that the BiLo Center is really doing just fine. That's not to say that things couldn't be better, but the departure of the hockey team was more of an endictment of the hockey team than the BLC. The biggest problem is that they are hamstrung by a financial structure that was laid out with hockey in mind. My guess is that once the finances are restructured, things will be a bit more tenable.

• 1 month later...

Did you know...

-Friday's Winter Jam event and Saturday's Billy Joel concert were both sold out. That is the first time ever in the Bi-Lo Center's history that two different events in two nights were both sold out. :)

That's great! Hopefully this is bringing in some good revenue for the Bilo Center