Bon Secours Wellness Arena

distortedlogic

I noticed that Spokane, Washington hosted the US Figure Skating Championships in an arena smaller than the Bi-Lo Center a couple of weeks ago.

Since Greenville is pursuing niche sports, like the US Pro Cycling or even perhaps a Senior PGA tour event, hosting the US Figure Skating Championships could be a big deal for the Bi-Lo Center and maybe something that should be pursued.

Short of the NCAA tournament and or another conference basketball championship coming back to town, seems that would be a great addition to Greenville.

Whoa. Most excellent idea !! How nice can Spokane be anyway.

Maybe the CVB reads this forum.

It's Elton John. Before some of you guys say it's not a big show, it is a big step for Greenville. John is not doing many U.S. dates this year. so its a good thing he chose here

I wont' say it's not a big show - but a big "ROCK" show. Not even. a big "Pop" show perhaps. All I'll say is that the Heaven & Hell tour is selling out everywhere - they have no southeast dates that would have been a HUGE deal. but for me at least this is just meh - the Bilo Center letting me down again.

• 2 weeks later...

New signage at The BI-LO Center might be coming soon to make it more inviting to people entering downtown via I-385. :shades:

I'm really curious about this. Is this for the building, or the sign or both??? I hope it's really inviting and nice, but I'm honestly not sure how they'd acheive that... any ideas?

Blabbermouth.net is reporting that Ratt & Poison are kicking off their summer tour 6/13 at the Bi-Lo Center. Not as big probably as an Elton John show but definitely more rock (and uh more hair even these days). \m/

Poison has been to the BiLo Center quite a few times - and my wife is a big fan (ugh) so I usually end up going along. They put on a decent show.

Blabbermouth.net is reporting that Ratt & Poison are kicking off their summer tour 6/13 at the Bi-Lo Center. Not as big probably as an Elton John show but definitely more rock (and uh more hair even these days). \m/

Poison has been to the BiLo Center quite a few times - and my wife is a big fan (ugh) so I usually end up going along. They put on a decent show.

Goodness, can we get something from even, say, the 90's? :rolleyes: I went to a Poison show back in the 80's. I still have Bret Michael's autograph around somewhere...

Seriously, it's good that BiLo Center is getting shows.

• 3 months later...

BLC back on top!

WYFF reported today at 5 or 6 that BLC came in at #1 in the Carolinas for ticket sales, and #16 in the world for venues it's size. Also, a record 30 concerts this year!

What does that mean "#1 in the Carolinas for ticket sales"?

Above the RBC Arena in Raleigh? Or the Lawrence Joel Coliseum in Winston - Salem? On what basis do they figure that? Average tickets sold per event? I find it hard to believe that the BLC is better than the RBC in ticket sales, considering the RBC center just hosted a season's worth of NC State basketball and 41 games of defending Stanley Cup Champion Hurricane hockey, plus a full slate of concerts.

Now I can believe the BLC doing better than the North Charleston Coleisum or the Colonial Center in Columbia or the Smith Center in Chapel Hill. Those arenas have never done all that well.

I think the key phrase is this:

...for venues it's size...

No offense to the Bi-Lo Center, but the Bi-Lo Center and RBC Center are not in the same league. The Bi-Lo Center seats something like 14,000 on two levels where the RBC Center seats nearly 20,000 on three levels with 66 luxury suites.

• 6 months later...

I saw this on the DPC Agenda and was asking myself, "what the heck kind of exterior signage and lighting changes could there be at the Bi-Lo Center, I wonder?" I was thinking maybe the awnings would be replaced or something (they've been long in need of replacement). I had even somewhat hoped that some permanent color-changing LED lighting was going to be installed to illuminate the upper exterior of the building.

CA08-05-650NorthAcademy2.jpg

All the above from the DPC meeting coming up on feb 7.

I was thinking about sponsoring a bathroom or maybe just a urinal. :P

...but this one is just plain TACKY. Really, both of them are, but I guess this just goes to show that they'd do anything to earn some money...smacks of desperation to me. I could understand perhaps the naming rights changing from Bi-Lo to Charter Communications...but that entrance sign is so large that one would think that the entire building had changed its name.

Edited by RestedTraveler