Atlanta May Be Regular ACC Tourney Home

ironchapman

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nagodoches, TX Daily Sentinel likely picked it up from the AP wire.

I admit I would prefer the ACC tournemant to be based in Greensboro NC. But today's ACC isn't the old ACC & there is more money made in Atlanta.

I guess what I meant was that it seemed unusual for this to be the first result mentioned on the subject (I didn't see the AJC version).

IC its possible this is also a Cox owned paper. I read this story yesterday in the AJC.

Yeah, it's owned by Cox, just check the bottom of thearticle.

• 2 months later...

John Swofford must enjoy fileting fish more than catching them. He's gutting ACC basketball has hard as he can. No offense to ATL, because I love the tourney there, but is there anything sadder than seeing the beloved ACC tournament played in the lifeless Ga. Dome? The tourney used to be one of the great events of the year for us. Now it seems to be a cash cow that only serves the purpose of giving mediocre bubble teams a chance to get in the NCAA tournament..

John Swofford must enjoy fileting fish more than catching them. He's gutting ACC basketball has hard as he can. No offense to ATL, because I love the tourney there, but is there anything sadder than seeing the beloved ACC tournament played in the lifeless Ga. Dome? The tourney used to be one of the great events of the year for us. Now it seems to be a cash cow that only serves the purpose of giving mediocre bubble teams a chance to get in the NCAA tournament..

I understand - the ACC changed for the worse when FSU was added. Since then, nothing should be a surprise - including the additions of the past 3 colleges (no offense to those colleges). I wouldn't be surprised either if Washington DC gained major tournemant events or southern Florida. The ACC is no longer a NC based tournemant - which considering many of the colleges like Clemson - now prefer.

If they are going to keep it in Atlanta, it should at least be played in Philips Arena. It is a facility second to none in architecture and atmosphere in order to cater to what really maters - the fans. The abundance of corporate boxes are available to cater to the financial interests.

I'm sure it would never fly though since you can't get 30,000 people in it like the Dome (which I agree is awful for basketball).

• 3 weeks later...

Tell that to all of the bball fans of the big 4. Granted a lot of money was and is made because of the football additions but how can you basically turn your back on the rabid fans that made the ACC what it is today. I don't like it at all. I would be satisfied with a 3 to 4 site rotation with each site having the tourny on a two year basis. The Greensboro Col. is no run of the mill arena. It seats 25,000 people so I am not sure if seating capacity is the driving force. Money sure can blurr the vision. By the way the Heels will win it all this year and once again Duke will choke down the stretch. UNChampions......

Personally, I'm happy when Atlanta lands anything positive, but in this case, I just hate to see Greensboro losing such a big event. I know it was a source of pride for a lot of people who live around there. Let's face it, Basketball is just not as big in Georgia as it is in NC (at least not college Basketball). It's ridiculous. What next, are we going to move the Masters to Boca Raton, FL, because there is more money there?

NcSc74, I'm gonna have to go with Duke again this year. You're probably right though.

Tell that to all of the bball fans of the big 4. Granted a lot of money was and is made because of the football additions but how can you basically turn your back on the rabid fans that made the ACC what it is today. I don't like it at all. I would be satisfied with a 3 to 4 site rotation with each site having the tourny on a two year basis. The Greensboro Col. is no run of the mill arena. It seats 25,000 people so I am not sure if seating capacity is the driving force. Money sure can blurr the vision. By the way the Heels will win it all this year and once again Duke will choke down the stretch. UNChampions......

hmmm....Go Gators! Back-to-Back!

Personally, I'm happy when Atlanta lands anything positive, but in this case, I just hate to see Greensboro losing such a big event. I know it was a source of pride for a lot of people who live around there. Let's face it, Basketball is just not as big in Georgia as it is in NC (at least not college Basketball). It's ridiculous. What next, are we going to move the Masters to Boca Raton, FL, because there is more money there?

NcSc74, I'm gonna have to go with Duke again this year. You're probably right though.

Greensboro is not really losing the tournament, they are still scheduled to host it in 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, & 2015.

Archived