Unions

And the battle rages on.....

Hartford and CT taxpayers are losing money as events are canceled and detered away from the convention center which in some cases means away from CT all together. United Here's tactics of getting the workers to form a union is unbelievable...I am not anti union but I believe in the workers choosing, not the developer, the city, or the union which I think is happening.

Nevertheless a negative cloud has been put over Hartford affecting meeting planners, convention center and hotel employees and every local business owner who would otherwise benefit from conventioneers downtown and around the area.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-perez...-headlines-home

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ranting / Venting Alert....

You know, this whole thing has me SO PIS*ED OFF I can't even read about it anymore. Someone really has to refresh my memory WHY THE H-E-double hockey sticks we still need f'ing unions anymore!!!! Protecting jobs??? A year ago there were exactly ZERO JOBS in that contaminated parking lot!!! Where's Mayor Mike when you need him? He was in the union's back pocket too, but he would have gotten a deal done before FOUR conventions were !@#$#& canceled!!!

GET THIS RESOLVED NOW, EDDIE!!!!!

Something needs to be done because United Here is getting away with using these outragous tacticts to get these employees to unionzie...and we are not even sure if they want to unionize but of course we have to fight over a vote to. And Mayor Perez is just supporting the union... and their tactics. The mayor has to help all the residents AND business owners AND employees in Hartford and he is not doing that right now

• 2 weeks later...

Church Pick City After All (Hartford Courant)

So according to the Courant this morning, the Church convention is staying in the city. The bad news is that it is going to be held at the Civic Center. It is extremely dissappointing that as a state we cannot put our best foot forward and show off our $100+ Million Convention Center, and are instead showing off a building that most of us would agree should be torn down in the not-too-distant future.

Also, both sides are sticking to their guns, and it doesn't appear that much progress is being made. God I hate Unions. It appears as though these unions are starting to get desparate, as it becomes more and more appearant that there is a lesser need for the services they provide.

This whole situation makes me sick to my stomach. There are enough road blocks that Hartford has and still needs to overcome to become a more thriving city without these unions getting in the way. It is nice to see that CAUSA is fighting back against the Union that drove Hilary Clinton away.

• 4 weeks later...

They brought in a third union that has agreed to play by NLRA rules. That leaves UNITE HERE on the outside. I guess they could protest against the Laborers' International Union which has signed an agreement with Mr. Wolman (Marriott owner) offering to organize the workers under time-honored federal standards.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editor...ines-editorials

They brought in a third union that has agreed to play by NLRA rules. That leaves UNITE HERE on the outside. I guess they could protest against the Laborers' International Union which has signed an agreement with Mr. Wolman (Marriott owner) offering to organize the workers under time-honored federal standards.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editor...ines-editorials

This is a good outcome. I hope this allows the convention center to rusume business uninterupted.

• 4 weeks later...

Yet another convention is cancelling Hartford under Mayor Perez' watch.

Another delay in Front Street because of City Hall.

Parking, crime and construction delays. Is it time for someone new to take the reins of the city?

Stores are moving into South Windsor and West Hartford, yet Hartford has plenty of empty storefronts and vacant lots.

Is it time for new leadership to get things going?

ING, WFSB, Mass Mutual, Becker's Jewelry, Lux, Bond, and Green, Coach's all leaving the city. When will the exodus end?

Can we afford to watch convention after convention leave the city? When will Mayor Perez go public and stop this? Merchants are pouring their life savings into shops and restaurants and Perez is allowing the union dispute to scare off people.

I still support and stick up for the Mayor. However, to the question of whether there are more qualified and also electable individuals around who are contemplating running, I have to answer yes. So we just have to wait and see. Next Election just might turn out to be a hot one though.

Convention Center workers seek mayors help, don't want unions

(Hartford-WTNH, July 25, 2006 5:50 PM) _ The boycott by two labor unions has resulted in the cancellation of another event at the new Convention Center in Hartford.

Angry workers marched on City Hall today to seek the mayor's help. They say they don't want the unions.

by News Channel 8's Ann Nyberg

The simmering controversy at the $271 million, state funded Convention Center has resulted in several events being canceled. Two labor unions, Unite Here and the Service Employees International Union, have called the boycott until the operator of the center lets them in.

A group of employees from the Convention Center marched the two blocks to Hartford City Hall to present the mayor with a petition saying they did not want those unions to represent them. They also asked the mayor to help stop the boycott, which is taking money out of their pockets.

Maria Byina, Wethersfield, says,"I think he can stop this. I don't know why he's doing this to the city. We bring a lot of money to the city and we're losing a lot of work. All my co-workers. We're losing work."

Mayor Eddie Perez was not at City Hall today but issued a statement saying "I am always willing to hear concerns of any Hartford resident. Today's demonstration appears to be part of an aggressive anti-union effort coordinated by the Waterford group."

The Waterford Group is the company that operates the Convention Center for the state. The National Labor Relations Board has scheduled a hearing on a complaint against the Waterford Group on November 9th. The complaint was filed by the two unions attempting to organize the workers.

This is proof enough that the workers do not want to unionize. This is getting rediculous, they should really back off now. Mayor Perez is not showing any leadership at all, but should that surprize any of us.

I like most of what Mayor Perez has done for Hartford, but I don't understand his stance on this position one bit. He's accusing Waterford of spearheading this effort, but for some reason (votes, of course) doesn't seem to care when the union's try and speak for the workers.

This angers me beyond belief. I think especially as more high income residents come into the city, especially high income residents who are older (statistically more inclined to vote) Perez will find that his days as mayor are numbered. Just my opinion, but I think he may have damaged his reputation beyond repair at this point. He is screwing with not just he city of Hartford, but money of the residents of the entire State of CT, due to the investment the state put into this project.

I understand his position, and maybe where he is coming from, but I think more and more he is not looking out so much for the rights of the lower paid union workers, but more for the ability to use this position in a future campaign ad.

Mayor Eddie Perez was not at City Hall today but issued a statement saying "I am always willing to hear concerns of any Hartford resident. Today's demonstration appears to be part of an aggressive anti-union effort coordinated by the Waterford group."

this guy is a clown. what do these workers need to do to get it through his thick skull they DON'T WANT UNIONS! the state should step in and put this guy in his place. if not for MAJOR investment by the state Hartford would not have any of the housing that is comming online, no new hotel, no convention center, and certainly no science center being built. It would have continued the linear decline from the early 90's. the image of the city has improved, but only due to the state spending that has spurred some private investment. private investment will stop with perez's anti business stance and the state will realize the ROI just isn't there to justify further large scale investment into the city. the state has handed the city a cash cow with the convention center, its to bad perez left it in the onion patch. VOTE HIM OUT!!!!

They could take a vote on unionizing.

I don't think that would be good enough for the Unite Here fools.....they don't seem to be willing to accept any vote unless it is organized by themselves.

All this is, is a scared union that is probably experiencing a sharp decline in its membership because for the most part these unions are uneccessary anyway. Anyhow, what you have is a union that I feel cares less about these workers and more about the expansion of its membership and the resulting member dues. All about the benjamins.

Archived