Novare Duke Power Redevelopment

Mobuchu

Wow...Zoloft can work for you too!

I believe it was stated a few comments up that this had already been changed and developers could no longer just convert something into a surface lot to save property taxes. Nuff said...

Although, as I sit here and wonder, I'm having a hard time figuring out if I'd rather have a surface lot or an abandoned building for 10 years...hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was under the impression that a building could be demolished for a surface lot (the Trailways station of West Trade just was a couple of years ago for JW student housing parking lot)

I believe there is stipulations as to how it is screened, or that it can be seeded and maintained as greenspace.....

Wow...Zoloft can work for you too!

I believe it was stated a few comments up that this had already been changed and developers could no longer just convert something into a surface lot to save property taxes. Nuff said...

Although, as I sit here and wonder, I'm having a hard time figuring out if I'd rather have a surface lot or an abandoned building for 10 years...hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The city very often depreciates building values based on a variety of factors....economic usefulness, physical condition, and functional obsolesence.....

I would think that Novare could have gotten the buildings value reduced to near $0 if they had pressed a city assessor.

The city very often depreciates building values based on a variety of factors....economic usefulness, physical condition, and functional obsolesence.....

I would think that Novare could have gotten the buildings value reduced to near $0 if they had pressed a city assessor.

Well, now I know some elements of that plan are controversial, but Harry Jones, the county manager, has proposed simple trades between the county and the city to get the 3rd Ward Park moving forward fast. Theoretically, if the city agrees, we can get our 3rd Ward park started construction in the spring. I wonder if that will change the timetables of either of the Novare projects.

(A2, please don't go on Zoloft, we love your passion. :) )

An empty building is a liability that requires expensive insurance. Homeless people break into them, and may start fires trying to keep warm. Kids may injure themselves playing with broken glass, etc. I've heard the insurance rate is something like triple that of an occupied building.

I'd call it "jail-like" personally. This building is larger than I had previously thought, I never realized how much depth there was to it. The facade should be preserved, but the rest of the building is dead to the world. At least the banks have windows on the ground floor.

Side note: Is that grit I see? Oh well.

Third Ward DOES NOT need another parking lot :angry:

The ground level does need an upgrade to become more pedestrian friendly, and if those horrible aluminum panels and cornice are removed, what is left is one of the few remaining art deco buildings Uptown. If Novare is serious about a trio of high-rises why don't they demolish the annex portion on the western side and retain the facade along Church?

We have lost too many of these types of low to mid-rises Uptown to let this go...

• 1 month later...

I haven't been by today, but if you're talking about the back part, then I agree with you. But I was still hoping they'd save the 1920s facade. Duke Power, as much as they are terrible corporate citizens now (other than paying the mayor), built this town, and this was their headquarters. Now, we'll get another plaque on the sidewalk. "Here once stood..."

Archived