Northwest Arkansas Sports and Entertainment Arena

Julles

Any ideas what league the former Arkansas teams were in? Does Little Rock still have one of their hockey teams? I saw that Texarkana is apparently losing theirs.

No team for Little Rock. First the Glacier Cats left, then the Riverblades.

'Tis a pity.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No team for Little Rock. First the Glacier Cats left, then the Riverblades.

'Tis a pity.

So I guess NWA will end up with the only hockey team in the state for the time being. Although another team might try Little Rock out again sometime.

So I guess NWA will end up with the only hockey team in the state for the time being. Although another team might try Little Rock out again sometime.

At one time LR had a Central Hockey League team playing at Barton Coliseum and a ECHL team playing at Alltel. Eventually the CHL team folded because of an inferior venue and then Alltel didn't want the ECHL team because they ate up too many dates that were better for concerts and other more profitable draws. Attendance wasn't great but wasn't terrible for those ECHL games. I don't think you'll see another hockey team in the LR metro again unless they play at Barton.

Why does this have to be so far away from Washington County residents. I mean honestly there cant be more than 10,000 people in a five mile radius from this project. Very risky hoping for that growth. The single most enthusiatic sports people in NWA are in Fayetteville. Not saying it should be in Fayetteville, but why not Lowell, Bethel Heights or hell, even just near the Interstate in Bentonville. Why does this thing have to be built out in BFE.

Why does this have to be so far away from Washington County residents. I mean honestly there cant be more than 10,000 people in a five mile radius from this project. Very risky hoping for that growth. The single most enthusiatic sports people in NWA are in Fayetteville. Not saying it should be in Fayetteville, but why not Lowell, Bethel Heights or hell, even just near the Interstate in Bentonville. Why does this thing have to be built out in BFE.

Putting these kinds entertianment complexes in a dense area is not how its alway's going to be. Just as long as it is in the immediate metro area people will come to the complex.

For one, the land is probably a lot cheaper out near the airport instead of near the Interstate, or the Pinnacle Area of Rogers.

Second, my guess would be that the developers think that with Polo Park and the 10K Subdivision in Highfill to be developed, the area will be an ideal location.

Honestly, I think it's because Bentonville and Fayetteville don't get along very well and there may be a fair amount of jealousy or envy going on in both cities. They could just as easily build this Sports and Entertainment Park further south of Highfill on the future Springdale Bypass. I doubt the land would cost more there. It's as if Fayetteville and Bentonville refuse to acknowledge each other. They're not exactly sister-cities being that there's 2 other major cities between them, but they both are the major players in NWA and if they would start cooperating with each other NWA could become a great metro. The way things are going NWA is literally being torn in two.

Honestly, I think it's because Bentonville and Fayetteville don't get along very well and there may be a fair amount of jealousy or envy going on in both cities. They could just as easily build this Sports and Entertainment Park further south of Highfill on the future Springdale Bypass. I doubt the land would cost more there. It's as if Fayetteville and Bentonville refuse to acknowledge each other. They're not exactly sister-cities being that there's 2 other major cities between them, but they both are the major players in NWA and if they would start cooperating with each other NWA could become a great metro. The way things are going NWA is literally being torn in two.

Fayetteville and Springdale seldom get along, either. It's more like the community is torn in fourths. I agree, the lack of cooperation up there represents a tremendous long-term problem for the region. It would be nice if there was a very powerful regional authority.

Fayetteville and Springdale seldom get along, either. It's more like the community is torn in fourths. I agree, the lack of cooperation up there represents a tremendous long-term problem for the region. It would be nice if there was a very powerful regional authority.

Aporkalypse, that's been my concern this week ever since we learned about John Q. Hammons, Steve Womack and the possibility of a Texas League team in Rogers.

1. If Springdale gets the baseball team, how will Benton County powers react? Or vice versa. And more importantly, IMO;

2. Are we ALWAYS going to be called "Northwest Arkansas"? Or are we going to reach a point where this is the "Bentonville metro area", or the "Fayetteville metro area" or the "Springdale metro area" and so forth?

You talk about a municipal jockeying match the likes of which America may not have seen before...

I do think there are a lot of factors involved. That area does seem to hold a lot of future potential which I'm sure went into it. That and although I certainly wouldn't mind some things being being built closer to Fayetteville I'm not sure if this is simply a future growing trend. Benton County is where the big growth is and it's also where Wal-mart is, which is supplying so much of the growth. I have a feeling those of us in Fayetteville are just going to have to get used to the idea that a lot of future developments we want to see just aren't going to be in our area of the metro. I'm sure Fayetteville will still manage to bring in some things but it's just not going to dominate the metro like it did in the past.

I do think there are a lot of factors involved. That area does seem to hold a lot of future potential which I'm sure went into it. That and although I certainly wouldn't mind some things being being built closer to Fayetteville I'm not sure if this is simply a future growing trend. Benton County is where the big growth is and it's also where Wal-mart is, which is supplying so much of the growth. I have a feeling those of us in Fayetteville are just going to have to get used to the idea that a lot of future developments we want to see just aren't going to be in our area of the metro. I'm sure Fayetteville will still manage to bring in some things but it's just not going to dominate the metro like it did in the past.

But in terms of density Fayetteville and Springdale are almost 3 times the size of Bentonville and Rogers. Yes Benton County may have Bella Vista, Siloam Springs, Centerton and Lowell but the large urban areas of NWA are and always will be to the south. Outside of Fayetteville and Springdale Washington County has the beautiful Ozark Mountains, not prime areas for development. I am not trying to get an argument started over what county has the largest penis. I just think we would be doing a hell of alot better if developers started focusing on a central area and all our little towns became one big city.

But in terms of density Fayetteville and Springdale are almost 3 times the size of Bentonville and Rogers. Yes Benton County may have Bella Vista, Siloam Springs, Centerton and Lowell but the large urban areas of NWA are and always will be to the south. Outside of Fayetteville and Springdale Washington County has the beautiful Ozark Mountains, not prime areas for development. I am not trying to get an argument started over what county has the largest penis. I just think we would be doing a hell of alot better if developers started focusing on a central area and all our little towns became one big city.

Fayetteville and Springdale are the two largest cities in NWA but overall population shows Benton County is large than Washington County. As you also said much of Washington County doesn't lend itself well to development because of topography. I think many developers will keep this in mind and pick Benton County locations over Washington County locations. As I said earlier I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more stuff down here in Fayetteville. But I think Benton County is going to have quite a few developments going their way instead of down here.

Aporkalypse, that's been my concern this week ever since we learned about John Q. Hammons, Steve Womack and the possibility of a Texas League team in Rogers.

1. If Springdale gets the baseball team, how will Benton County powers react? Or vice versa. And more importantly, IMO;

2. Are we ALWAYS going to be called "Northwest Arkansas"? Or are we going to reach a point where this is the "Bentonville metro area", or the "Fayetteville metro area" or the "Springdale metro area" and so forth?

You talk about a municipal jockeying match the likes of which America may not have seen before...

I think it's going to be very hard for one city to ever be dominant.

I think everyone will be supportive of the Springdale team as it's a big gain for the entire region.

You know, there are some comparable areas - Southwest Florida, the Quad Cities, etc. I wonder how things work in those areas.

I think everyone will be supportive of the Springdale team as it's a big gain for the entire region.

You know, there are some comparable areas - Southwest Florida, the Quad Cities, etc. I wonder how things work in those areas.

Very true, while it's not common there are other areas set up a bit like NWA.

NWA cities aren't going to send their tax revenue somewhere else just for the sake of unity.

Fayetteville/Springdale residents will have to travel a ways to see professional sports and Bentonville/Rogers residents will have to travel a ways to see college sports.

Fayetteville/Springdale residents will have to travel a ways to visit the Crystal Bridges Mueseum of American Art and Bentonville/Rogers residents will have to travel a ways to visit the Walton Arts Center.

Sounds good to me because I do like professional sports more than college sports and I do like the visual arts more than performing arts. Bentonville/Rogers is the right place to be for me!

NWA cities aren't going to send their tax revenue somewhere else just for the sake of unity.

Fayetteville/Springdale residents will have to travel a ways to see professional sports and Bentonville/Rogers residents will have to travel a ways to see college sports.

Fayetteville/Springdale residents will have to travel a ways to visit the Crystal Bridges Mueseum of American Art and Bentonville/Rogers residents will have to travel a ways to visit the Walton Arts Center.

Sounds good to me because I do like professional sports more than college sports and I do like the visual arts more than performing arts. Bentonville/Rogers is the right place to be for me!

Yeah I can't really complain too much. All these years everyone from Benton County has had to travel down to here to do most things.

Southwest Florida might be comparable...it's 42 miles between Fort Myers and Naples (though there are communities between them)...that's about the distance between Fayetteville and Alma, or Jane, MO and Fayetteville.

The Quad Cities are intriguing...hasn't Davenport IA always been the largest of the cities as it apparently is now?

As Mcheiss said, there aren't that many city combinations like NWA in America, and I think there are probably few of those which have had the "power-shifting" like we're seeing in this place. (Not to mention how this area is taking over regional dominance from its former media center and current second largest city in the state, Fort Smith.)

Still won't be surprised if they're writing college textbooks about this area and its history/development some day.

Southwest Florida might be comparable...it's 42 miles between Fort Myers and Naples (though there are communities between them)...that's about the distance between Fayetteville and Alma, or Jane, MO and Fayetteville.

The Quad Cities are intriguing...hasn't Davenport IA always been the largest of the cities as it apparently is now?

As Mcheiss said, there aren't that many city combinations like NWA in America, and I think there are probably few of those which have had the "power-shifting" like we're seeing in this place. (Not to mention how this area is taking over regional dominance from its former media center and current second largest city in the state, Fort Smith.)

Still won't be surprised if they're writing college textbooks about this area and its history/development some day.

Growing up in NWA, everyone always went to Fayetteville to shop and basically do anything. It is just amazing how much that is changing. It would not surprise me if the 2010 census shows that Springdale passing Fayetteville in population, and my guess would be by 2020, Rogers will pass Fayetteville as well. NWA is growing, but most of that population growth is occuring away from Fayetteville, and so its going to be interesting to see what the area looks like by 2020.

Growing up in NWA, everyone always went to Fayetteville to shop and basically do anything. It is just amazing how much that is changing. It would not surprise me if the 2010 census shows that Springdale passing Fayetteville in population, and my guess would be by 2020, Rogers will pass Fayetteville as well. NWA is growing, but most of that population growth is occuring away from Fayetteville, and so its going to be interesting to see what the area looks like by 2020.

I'm not sure when some of the other NWA will pass Fayetteville but it does look inevitable since Fayetteville seems to be pushing for slower more controlable growth.

I'm not sure when some of the other NWA will pass Fayetteville but it does look inevitable since Fayetteville seems to be pushing for slower more controlable growth.

I think Fayetteville will see tremendous growth when more Wal-Mart Vendors start buiding regional and corporate offices in NWA like Proctor & Gamble is doing. They may serve Wal-Mart, but they'll want to be close to the UA campus so they can nab those college grads before they can escape to far flung metros elsewhere.

I think Fayetteville will see tremendous growth when more Wal-Mart Vendors start buiding regional and corporate offices in NWA like Proctor & Gamble is doing. They may serve Wal-Mart, but they'll want to be close to the UA campus so they can nab those college grads before they can escape to far flung metros elsewhere.

I'm not quite sure that P&G being in Fayetteville has anything to do with hiring recent grads. P&G are one of larger vendors that does not hire interns from the UofA, and they also don't attend career fairs, or have a partnership with the career development center like many large vendors such as General Mills etc.. P&G were one of the first vendors in NWA and that was over 15 years ago, so I"m guessing it had to do with being a larger community.

I'm not quite sure that P&G being in Fayetteville has anything to do with hiring recent grads. P&G are one of larger vendors that does not hire interns from the UofA, and they also don't attend career fairs, or have a partnership with the career development center like many large vendors such as General Mills etc.. P&G were one of the first vendors in NWA and that was over 15 years ago, so I"m guessing it had to do with being a larger community.

It's odd that Proctor & Gamble isn't heavily involved in UA graduate recruitment because they do recruit some grads from UA and JBU, among many other colleges. Although none are actually hired to work in the Fayetteville office, but are actually sent to overseas P&G operations. P&G is somewhat involved with the Fayetteville community and they were the sole sponsor for the Joffrey Ballet of Chicago

It's odd that Proctor & Gamble isn't heavily involved in UA graduate recruitment because they do recruit some grads from UA and JBU, among many other colleges. Although none are actually hired to work in the Fayetteville office, but are actually sent to overseas P&G operations. P&G is somewhat involved with the Fayetteville community and they were the sole sponsor for the Joffrey Ballet of Chicago

Archived