Northwest Arkansas Sports and Entertainment Arena

Julles

I doubt these projects will be developed. Rogers is basically laughing at the information they've received so far. This is just a pipedream so far.

I don't have much faith in the non-NBA pro bball leagues either. They are way too disorganized and underpublicized and independent to know what the heck is going on with them. If there was one minor league system with buy-in from the franchises I think they would fair a whole lot better. They should just stop all current leagues all-together for a couple of years and then start this new system.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem with the NBADL is the players are usually pretty third-rate. The majority of the not-quite good enough for the NBA players chase more money in Europe. It's hard to spend $15-25 on a ticket to see a former North Texas backup center and Olu Famotimi. I'd rather watch college ball. Now if the NBADL were bringing in 18-21 year old future NBA stars like Durant or Garnett and prepping them for the NBA for a couple of years then they'd be playing packed houses.

I really doubt it Mith.

College players transition to the pro level better than any other major sport.

Amare, Dwight Howard, Lebron, Dwayne Wade...Those guys were very good players in their first or second year in the league.

The NBA minor league is nice in theory, but these guys are so developed now days, I don't think it will ever come to pass, especially with the new rule which forces all high school players to attend college atleast one year.

I wonder if the NBA will try to eventually try to mold it into a bit of a minor league. I imagine an analogy to baseball isn't the best idea. But what if it were a bit like a minor league, maybe even have pro teams associated with these NBADL teams. Anyway just a thought.

I really doubt it Mith.

College players transition to the pro level better than any other major sport.

Amare, Dwight Howard, Lebron, Dwayne Wade...Those guys were very good players in their first or second year in the league.

The NBA minor league is nice in theory, but these guys are so developed now days, I don't think it will ever come to pass, especially with the new rule which forces all high school players to attend college atleast one year.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Someone's going to post this link sooner or later but (surprise, surprise) this particular project will NOT happen. At least not in Rogers.

Yet Rogers' mayor Steve Womack says he believes such an arena will indeed be successful in NWA.

And I'm reminded of Andrew Jensen's talking about how out-of-state investors will probably come in for some good deals now that some of the locals have folded. I doubt such investors will revive this project (a pity), but there's no doubt in my mind that Benton County is going to have a nice new arena some day.

Someone's going to post this link sooner or later but (surprise, surprise) this particular project will NOT happen. At least not in Rogers.

Yet Rogers' mayor Steve Womack says he believes such an arena will indeed be successful in NWA.

And I'm reminded of Andrew Jensen's talking about how out-of-state investors will probably come in for some good deals now that some of the locals have folded. I doubt such investors will revive this project (a pity), but there's no doubt in my mind that Benton County is going to have a nice new arena some day.

Thanks for the update, even if it's not good news. I didn't see a link though. If it's not built in Rogers does anyone have any predictions where it would be? In a couple of years Bentonville will have Crystal Bridges open. I'm thinking it's going to have a similar effect that the Walton Arts Center had in Fayetteville. Probably even more so. Springdale went for the minor league baseball team and this could give them some other sports options. But Springdale already sunk a lot of money into this new stadium. I'm not sure if they could do a lot to try to lure something like this. Then again, since Benton County isn't wet for now, it would provide a wet county location, that's somewhat centrally located for the metro. Also cheaper real estate compared to say Fayetteville.

The article was in the Times. The developer has said that it will not be in Bentonville or Rogers according to the paper. Bentonville does not have the road infrastructure in place and this guy is not dealing with Rogers anymore. So I would guess it is coming to Washington county. I don't know if it will be in Fayetteville or Springdale and I doubt that it ever even gets done. The article has some interesting info on the developer. He robbed a EZ Mart in Rogers in 1994 at gun point and one of his companies in Memphis went into backruptsy.

Anyway, here is the article: No Arena

The article was in the Times. The developer has said that it will not be in Bentonville or Rogers according to the paper. Bentonville does not have the road infrastructure in place and this guy is not dealing with Rogers anymore. So I would guess it is coming to Washington county. I don't know if it will be in Fayetteville or Springdale and I doubt that it ever even gets done. The article has some interesting info on the developer. He robbed a EZ Mart in Rogers in 1994 at gun point and one of his companies in Memphis went into backruptsy.

Anyway, here is the article: No Arena

Until NWA gets a real sports and entertainment arena we'll just have to settle for annual county faires that rural places are known for. We may just have to accept that our future is comprised of more ice cream socials and potato sack races. Instead of Ringling Bros Circuses and Monster Truck Jams we'll continue to settle for Shrine Circuses and Rodeo Demolition Derbies.

Oh well, it could be worse... couldn't it? :blink:

Archived