Northwest Arkansas Sports and Entertainment Arena

Julles

I would think that if the Arkansas Stars are still going they would just be moved to the new arena once completed. It wouldn't make much sense to have two minor league Arena Football teams. Anyway's I am glad that NWA is getting a minor league Hockey Team. I hope that they will be in the same leauge as the Springfield Spirit so we can play each other. :D

Well technically the Arkansas Stars aren't an Arena League football team. They're in the National Indoor Football League. Something smaller than Arena Football.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how many arenas of this size are built privately without any county, state, or municipal funds. I'm not sure I remember it being done anywhere, especially without a major sports franchise involved. For it to happen in a smaller metro is even more unusual. That $35-45 million pricetag will not build an arena as nice as they would lead us to believe. Alltel in LR cost $80 million in 1999 and Bud Walton $25 million in 1993. Unfortunately since then costs of construction materials, especially steel, have increased substantially, steel several-fold. Smaller arenas in terms of seating don't necessarily cost that much less (i.e. a 9000 seat arena would not cost half of the price of a 18,000 seat one that was similar - it would be more in the range of 2/3-3/4 or so). I think the price would be higher or it would be "stripped".

I also have to wonder about location, it seems that someplace closer to I-540 might be better for accessibility and Lowell would be more central to the metro as a whole. I'm not sure those roads can carry that traffic well and there's no existing parking for it but all of that could be built. I would expect a lot more "off-airport" parking lots to pop up that would cater to the arena as well.

Liquor sales have to be THE issue. For this to be built, Benton Co will have to cave and allow alcohol sales for revenue production purposes. Any private investors that built an arena in a dry county with two wet ones nearby is foolish as that could as much as double their revenue.

That event number isn't too preposterous. Alltel was used 2/3 of the year at one point and had to get rid of the ECHL hockey club because they were using too many dates they could've brought in concerts. Concerts, especially of the middle-tier variety, would be the main revenue producers along with "events" like ice skatings tours, circuses, minor league hockey and/or football, etc. The other obvious issue is Tulsa and Springfield are the nearby competition and neither really has an exceptional arena that would outcompete this for concerts, I think the Mabee Center and Convention Center in Tulsa are both around 9000 capacity as well.

There are going to be some bumps on the road with this development but it sure will be interesting to see what will happen.

It is ironic that all of this is being announced just as it seems that there's not very good chances of getting enough signatures to get a vote on the wet-dry issue. As far as the facility itself, to be honest I haven't been expecting too great of a facility. But I'm still happy to see one being built and I'm not going to be disappointed if it's not anything close to a 'world class' facility. I think our metro still has to prove it can continue to support things like this. There's been a lot of growth and I think more 'amenities' are just a matter of time but it might take a little time to get everyone used to having such facilities and using them to their full potential.

ITK, I don't know about how occupied it is, but right north/northwest of the vacant office building is "The Glen at Polo Park", which IMO is the nicest apartment complex I've yet seen in NWA. I've been inside the office as they let us put flyers for our business in their folders for tenants and prospective tenants. It's the only apartment complex I've yet seen with an indoor basketball court (and a quite nice one).

It's essentially southwest of the new fairgrounds (and the "new community" on the map on the other thread), west/northwest of the new arena and straight north of XNA and the Wingate Inn.

Ah yes, I've seen those. I forgot about those. I remember thinking "what in the world" when I first saw them, basically surrounded by pasture, and thinking doesn't that just say it all for what's going on in NWA.

It is ironic that all of this is being announced just as it seems that there's not very good chances of getting enough signatures to get a vote on the wet-dry issue. As far as the facility itself, to be honest I haven't been expecting too great of a facility. But I'm still happy to see one being built and I'm not going to be disappointed if it's not anything close to a 'world class' facility. I think our metro still has to prove it can continue to support things like this. There's been a lot of growth and I think more 'amenities' are just a matter of time but it might take a little time to get everyone used to having such facilities and using them to their full potential.

I hadn't thought about the wet-dry issue and the timing but it's a good point.

Anybody know what Summit Arena in Hot Springs cost to build? I tried to look it up and couldn't find it. It's pretty nice and seats 6000 and though it's a few years old I would be interested to find out what that facility cost. It sure is an attractive building.

I also have to wonder about location, it seems that someplace closer to I-540 might be better for accessibility and Lowell would be more central to the metro as a whole. I'm not sure those roads can carry that traffic well and there's no existing parking for it but all of that could be built. I would expect a lot more "off-airport" parking lots to pop up that would cater to the arena as well.

Liquor sales have to be THE issue. For this to be built, Benton Co will have to cave and allow alcohol sales for revenue production purposes. Any private investors that built an arena in a dry county with two wet ones nearby is foolish as that could as much as double their revenue.

The Location does suprise me a bit, I would have expected it to be off I-540. Seems that better accessibility to the arena would make more people want to drive out there, instead of on a two lane state highway almost out in the middle of nowhere. I guess they are waiting for the Western Bypass to happen, which could never be built.

I believe the developers talked about making the arena a private club for liquor sales, but for some reason, that doesn't seem right to me. The Minor League Baseball stadium wasn't built in Bentonville simply because the developers couldn't get a liquor permit. I'm not entirely sure how the whole liquor permit / private club thing works, may'be somebody does.

The other obvious issue is Tulsa and Springfield are the nearby competition and neither really has an exceptional arena that would outcompete this for concerts, I think the Mabee Center and Convention Center in Tulsa are both around 9000 capacity as well.

I wouldn't get too ahead of yourself. Even though Tulsa and Springfield don't have the 20,000 seat arena they both have very nice 2,500 seat performing arts centers plus countless other venues ranging form 1,000-9,000 seats. Anyways by the time this arena in NWA is complete it will have to compete with the JQH Arena (13,000 seats) on the MSU campus which is being designed specifically for intimidating games and state-of-the-art concerts and then there's the Tulsa Events and Convention Center (18,041 seats) with both being completed by 2008. This doesn't include the 15,000-20,000 arena planned for Downtown Springfield in the Vision 20/20 plan. If the builder in charge of this new arena in NWA was smart he would look at the other large neighboring metro arena's or "planned" arena's and build to it to compete with them.

I wouldn't get too ahead of yourself. Even though Tulsa and Springfield don't have the 20,000 seat arena they both have very nice 2,500 seat performing arts centers plus countless other venues ranging form 1,000-9,000 seats. Anyways by the time this arena in NWA is complete it will have to compete with the JQH Arena (13,000 seats) on the MSU campus which is being designed specifically for intimidating games and state-of-the-art concerts and then there's the Tulsa Events and Convention Center (18,041 seats) with both being completed by 2008. This doesn't include the 15,000-20,000 arena planned for Downtown Springfield in the Vision 20/20 plan. If the builder in charge of this new arena in NWA was smart he would look at the other large neighboring metro arena's or "planned" arena's and build to it to compete with them.

Slyder, I wonder if Drury University is going to get up off their posterior and partner up in that downtown arena, given the success the university's women's team is having...right now (sadly) that school's almost eclipsing SMSU in (women's basketball) reputation, although the former school could not compete consistently in NCAA DI, IMO.

I think DU's got some debt issues, but I wonder when they'll try to do something where they won't have to keep playing in their older facility.

Slyder, I wonder if Drury University is going to get up off their posterior and partner up in that downtown arena, given the success the university's women's team is having...right now (sadly) that school's almost eclipsing SMSU in (women's basketball) reputation, although the former school could not compete consistently in NCAA DI, IMO.

I think DU's got some debt issues, but I wonder when they'll try to do something where they won't have to keep playing in their older facility.

Actually Drury earmarked 10 million for the Downtown arena but it got too big for them I think so they pulled out. John Q. also was going to give about 50 mil but then decided to go with the MSU arena instead, so now the arena will possibly be a tax increase for the region. I'm a little confused about the MSU women vs. the Drury Women thing but MSU has alway's been really good and Drury started getting noticed about 4 years ago then became No. 1 for 2 years in the Division. Anyway's DU does have some debt issuses but they are getting soo many new applicants every year that I doubt it will be long before they have a surplus.

...I'm a little confused about the MSU women vs. the Drury Women thing but MSU has alway's been really good and Drury started getting noticed about 4 years ago then became No. 1 for 2 years in the Division. Anyway's DU does have some debt issuses but they are getting soo many new applicants every year that I doubt it will be long before they have a surplus.

Remember, DU only started their women's bball program like, what, 6 years ago? (And I've got divided loyalties, because my wife is a DU grad and my Dad taught several years at (S)MSU.) DU was actually recruiting Jackie Stiles' little sis, who led her team to a state championship this year (and signed with MSU) but DU actually just signed a more heralded Kansas player (one of five off the all-class all-Kansas team, with the other four girls signing with either KU or KSU). It sure seems like Drury's gotten some more heralded players from SW Missouri in recent years than MSU has*. (i.e. 2-3 girls from Kickapoo's nationally ranked, Missouri 5A state champion teams, a commit from the girl from Ozark who's led her team to back-to-back 4A championships with one year left in high school, etc.)

* And I feel sorry for "Coach Abe" at SMS having to follow in Cheryl Burnett's footsteps. But I hope she can turn things around and bring another final four (or better) appearance for MSU...she was a candidate for the Purdue job recently and that's a big honor in itself.

One thing, Slyder...DU's now got the old Tindle Mills grain elevator property...think there could be an arena built on that site when that thing's imploded, or is it too far north of downtown? (I actually think that could be a plus with the new JQH coming in, if both facilities can co-exist.)

Why would you build a 15-20k seat arena off campus a few years after building a 13,000 seat on-campus arena? That's just a silly boondoggle.

I think NWA could outdraw Springfield now, especially with Tulsa, Ft Smith, and Springfield a short drive away.

The obvious problem in NWA is that we have one of the best basketball facilities in America but it was set up solely for basketball and isn't a good venue for concerts, etc. So we can't use the excuse that the university needs a new arena the way Springfield could, though I doubt that SMS really needs a 13,000 seat arena.

I think NWA could outdraw Springfield now, especially with Tulsa, Ft Smith, and Springfield a short drive away.

I'm not too sure about that. Springfield has been hosting major concerts, sporting events and other arena events for years now and NWA has never had anything more than the Wal-Mart shareholders meeting. Springfield has a very good reputation for large-scale events and is well known for catering to families rather than corporations. NWA would have to prove itself before expecting to draw crowds. Remember the Arkansas All-Stars? But at least NWA has been graced by the presence of Rick Springfield so who knows what big name artist will visit next.

I see your back to your old style of spreading your rude self.

Who was the last major entertainer to perform in Springfield ???

I can't recall who it could have been.

I'm not too sure about that. Springfield has been hosting major concerts, sporting events and other arena events for years now and NWA has never had anything more than the Wal-Mart shareholders meeting. Springfield has a very good reputation for large-scale events and is well known for catering to families rather than corporations. NWA would have to prove itself before expecting to draw crowds. Remember the Arkansas All-Stars? But at least NWA has been graced by the presence of Rick Springfield so who knows what big name artist will visit next.

No what I posted wasn't rude in the least but you're about as rude as it gets. So now you deserve a rude response don't you and because I empathize with uninformed people like yourself here's a small example of what NWA will need to compete with when and if NWA ever gets a "sports and entertainment arena":

Springfield Concerts 2006 Line-up

Staind

Rob Zombie

Anthrax

Bob Dylan

Three Dog Night

Some other examples:

Willie Nelson (2005)

Slayer (2004-Cancelled due to health)

Jewel (2004)

B.B. King (2003)

Tool (1997)

Elvis Presley (1956 and 1977)

And many many more that I don't feel like looking up. So do a little research.

Speaking of competition from Springfield, I forgot to mention that all the possible uses that are planned for this new "sports and entertainment arena" in NWA are already represented in Springfield. And that's before Springfield adds 2 huge sports and entertainment arenas. NWA needs to start catching up with the big boys if NWA is going to compete. NWA going up against Springfield is like taking one step forward and three steps back.

Speaking of competition from Springfield, I forgot to mention that all the possible uses that are planned for this new "sports and entertainment arena" in NWA are already represented in Springfield. And that's before Springfield adds 2 huge sports and entertainment arenas. NWA needs to start catching up with the big boys if NWA is going to compete. NWA going up against Springfield is like taking one step forward and three steps back.

Does Springfield have a Minor League Hockey Team, Minor League Basketball Team, or an Arena Football Team? I'm almost positive they don't. I know Tulsa has each of these. I would say NWA will be a step ahead of Springfield once this complex is built and those teams come to NWA.

Hopefully a Parking Garage :rofl::rofl:

Wouldn't surprise me if Mcheiss is right.

MasonsDad...my wife and I grew up in Springfield and it's a wonderful city...I'll tell anyone who listens that it was/is an "All-American city", and I couldn't have asked for a nicer place in which to have been raised.

However, how many Fortune 5, Fortune 100 or even Fortune 500 companies does Springfield have?*

*And frankly, as nice as Springfield is I've always been puzzled by this. From what I can gather, it's almost as if the city has collectively said to companies: "OK, you want to move to our beautiful city, fine. But you won't get any tax breaks...we don't need to grant 'em. And if you want to move someplace else that's fine as well...best to you." And I'm NOT meaning that as a slap to the Queen City of the Ozarks.

Does Springfield have a Minor League Hockey Team, Minor League Basketball Team, or an Arena Football Team? I'm almost positive they don't. I know Tulsa has each of these. I would say NWA will be a step ahead of Springfield once this complex is built and those teams come to NWA.

Springfield has the minor League Hockey team the Springfield Spirit and the MSU Ice Bears. Then of course the Springfield Cardinals.

50 Cent

Toby Keith

Kenney Chesney

Bush

Nelly

Good Charlette

Faith Hill

Tim McGraw

Incubus

Murphy Lee

Beck

Rascall Flatts

Hawthorne Heights

Dixie Chicks

Stained

Blake Shelton

Chris Cagle

Joe Nickoles

Audio Adrenaline...........

These are just some that have graced Springfield with their presence. :D

Remember, DU only started their women's bball program like, what, 6 years ago? (And I've got divided loyalties, because my wife is a DU grad and my Dad taught several years at (S)MSU.) DU was actually recruiting Jackie Stiles' little sis, who led her team to a state championship this year (and signed with MSU) but DU actually just signed a more heralded Kansas player (one of five off the all-class all-Kansas team, with the other four girls signing with either KU or KSU). It sure seems like Drury's gotten some more heralded players from SW Missouri in recent years than MSU has*. (i.e. 2-3 girls from Kickapoo's nationally ranked, Missouri 5A state champion teams, a commit from the girl from Ozark who's led her team to back-to-back 4A championships with one year left in high school, etc.)

* And I feel sorry for "Coach Abe" at SMS having to follow in Cheryl Burnett's footsteps. But I hope she can turn things around and bring another final four (or better) appearance for MSU...she was a candidate for the Purdue job recently and that's a big honor in itself.

One thing, Slyder...DU's now got the old Tindle Mills grain elevator property...think there could be an arena built on that site when that thing's imploded, or is it too far north of downtown? (I actually think that could be a plus with the new JQH coming in, if both facilities can co-exist.)

Wow, you know alot about the College teams here. I don't think that there are any plans for a arena on the Drury Campus but I wouldn't doubt one in the future because they keep getting new sports. The 4th year students at Drury's Architecture College are working on plans for the old thing and it will be announced some time this summer.

Springfield has the minor League Hockey team the Springfield Spirit and the MSU Ice Bears. Then of course the Springfield Cardinals.

They're actually the Springfield Junior Blues, and the NAHL or North American Hockey League is a 20 Team Junior League A. Not really a minor league Hockey Team, but about a half step down.

Archived