Northwest Arkansas Sports and Entertainment Arena

Julles

Second you are contradicting yourself when you say that "Springfield would be nothing if is was not for John Q." Ummmmm......lets see how much more money has the "Waltons" donated to the many projects of NWA.......not to mention the only thing that John Q. has done for Springfield up until 4 years ago,

is build a tall building. I not even going to go into the whole thing about the arena's becasue we all know that Springfield is on a much, much higher scale when it comes to concerts, shows, performances......Have you ever heard of the Route 66 Music Festival?

Well, I will be the first to say that NWA would be nothing without countless number of individuals who have made generous contributions other than the Waltons. Havery and Bernice Jones donated money and land for the Jones Center, Donald Reynolds has donated vast amounts of money towards NWA Schools for Sports Programs and Facilities, the Tysons have donated money and land for countless parks in Springdale, etc.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless, NWA does have the potential to have many, if not all, of the attractions that Springfield has and at least the various cities in NWA have some kind of plan for some of these attractions. Planning is the first step... let's see if NWA takes the rest of those steps.

This is incredible! Where did you get all of these details? I haven't seen anything this detailed posted in the papers yet.

A few more details from the e-mail:

12 private investors

Seats 8500

Private Club/Executive Suites

1000 Club seats

24 sky boxes

50 acres

Off of Hwy 12 across from Polo Park and the Wingate Inn

Later will come additional retail and hotel

Break ground at the end of the year

Opening in 2008

Retail/hotel plans for 2010

So, the page labeled "press release" said up to 9000 seats; these notes added by my friend's boss say 8500 seats. I don't know which it is, but either way, I'm excited!

This is incredible! Where did you get all of these details? I haven't seen anything this detailed posted in the papers yet.

My best friend's boss is on some kind of chamber committee or something - I'm not sure exactly what his involvement is. He was invited to the press conference, and then he sent her an e-mail with these details. If he gives out any more info, I'll post it here.

Ah I see Julles has already answered your question. But I'd also like to welcome you to the forum bcockrum. Please feel free to join in on any of the topics. :D

One think I hadn't thought about but with a facility like this do you think Wal-mart will start moving their stockholders meetings away from the U of A to Benton County in the near future?

I don't have any insider info, well, not REALLY insider at least...but the WM shareholder convention isn't going anywhere for a really long time. They paid a lot of money to continue using the facilities and they will continue using them until UofA stops expanding with their part of the billion dollar "Campaign." Right now one of the most interesting parts of the whole shareholder tour is when they go all over campus and the guides talk about how WM paid for this and that. It will be at LEAST 10-15 years before they even consider an alternative. This event is also one of the few ways for WM to "pay back" the southern half of the metro area...they would lose a lot of hearts and minds in Washington county if it left.

I agree with you jdevers. There is no other facility in NWA like Bud Walton or the Razorback stadium that can house a group that size.

I believe that the majority of our region experiences hotel, restaurant, and retail business from the shareholders meetings. As long as we can all benefit (meaning our cities reap the economic benefit) from events of this magnitude then we all win. Plus, the people who come to visit our area for the first time due to shareholders will likely come back to see the final products of growth ( or maybe even bring their families next time for a little vacationing) :) thus continuing to fuel our region's economy.

I don't have any insider info, well, not REALLY insider at least...but the WM shareholder convention isn't going anywhere for a really long time. They paid a lot of money to continue using the facilities and they will continue using them until UofA stops expanding with their part of the billion dollar "Campaign." Right now one of the most interesting parts of the whole shareholder tour is when they go all over campus and the guides talk about how WM paid for this and that. It will be at LEAST 10-15 years before they even consider an alternative. This event is also one of the few ways for WM to "pay back" the southern half of the metro area...they would lose a lot of hearts and minds in Washington county if it left.

It's too bad this new arena won't facilitate the Wal-Mart Shareholders Meeting. It would be nice if the, close to 20,000, shareholders don't have to put up with all those anti-Wal-Mart protesters in Fayetteville. It's amazing how so many people in Fayetteville are against the only major corporation that has contributed hundreds of millions of dollars to Fayetteville. Much of what made Fayetteville such a nice place and made the U of A successful is Wal-Mart. Even Dickson Street owes a lot to Wal-Mart for making the Walton Arts Center possible. It's really sad that no matter how much Wal-Mart is trying to clean up their image and fix their problems those people won't give them any slack. Even when Wal-Mart is rid of all the problems they're dealing with those people will still protest them just for lack of anything better to do.

If you don't know who I'm talking about their website has been up for quite a few years. www.againstthewal.net.

It's too bad this new arena won't facilitate the Wal-Mart Shareholders Meeting. It would be nice if the, close to 20,000, shareholders don't have to put up with all those anti-Wal-Mart protesters in Fayetteville. It's amazing how so many people in Fayetteville are against the only major corporation that has contributed hundreds of millions of dollars to Fayetteville. Much of what made Fayetteville such a nice place and made the U of A successful is Wal-Mart. Even Dickson Street owes a lot to Wal-Mart for making the Walton Arts Center possible. It's really sad that no matter how much Wal-Mart is trying to clean up their image and fix their problems those people won't give them any slack. Even when Wal-Mart is rid of all the problems they're dealing with those people will still protest them just for lack of anything better to do.

If you don't know who I'm talking about their website has been up for quite a few years. www.againstthewal.net.

i checked out that site and its amazing how stupid people are, i just dont understand all the bs, there's more things wrong with our world, much less this country than just wal mart, get a life....

It's just the liberal attititude many people in Fayetteville have. Just as they're against big buildings in the city the same seems to apply to big business.

I'm sure the protestors can make it a few miles away, the distance isn't that great. I also asure you that most of the protestors aren't from Fayetteville but just general Wallyworld haters in town just to have something to protest. You guys should show them the door the way the LRPD did a few years ago when the animal rights protestors demonstrated against Stephens Inc when they bought a British biomedical research firm. That didn't work out terribly well at all for them. :P

While I disagree with the protestors (of which, I have seen none...I drive right through campus every morning and afternoon...so I THINK I would have seen them if they were widespread), I certainly agree with the concept of protesting. I cherish the thought that we live in a place that allows organized protests. I can only imagine how bad my view of the world would be if we lived in a place that completely removed that ability.

I would hope that every American would be willing to put their life on the line to secure the right for the OTHER guy to say what he believes, of course, many (most???) don't see it that way and are happy as long as only people they disagree with are pushed down...

While I disagree with the protestors (of which, I have seen none...I drive right through campus every morning and afternoon...so I THINK I would have seen them if they were widespread), I certainly agree with the concept of protesting. I cherish the thought that we live in a place that allows organized protests. I can only imagine how bad my view of the world would be if we lived in a place that completely removed that ability.

I would hope that every American would be willing to put their life on the line to secure the right for the OTHER guy to say what he believes, of course, many (most???) don't see it that way and are happy as long as only people they disagree with are pushed down...

Whoa, can a moderator quickly erase this post. Just kidding. :lol:

I have no issues wth peaceful protests. Protest in front of your local Wal-Mart if you wish. But if you come to NWA and protest the economic engine that directly or indirectly employees half of the population there, don't be surprised if you're greeted with rancor. It should be expected.

There are thousands of protesters expected in Fayetteville for this years shareholders meeting. I don't think as many show up as they expect, but still a substantial number. Protesters should be allowed to protest all they want on the street, but they shouldn't be allowed to march right up to the doors of Bud Walton Arena like vultures waiting for the shareholders to walk by. I haven't been to a shareholders meeting, but I do read the news afterward and it's not getting any better.

Funny thing, Masons...there was an article in the (Las Vegas?) paper a few months back about some of these protesters.

Wal-Mart was paying more per hour than these "professionals" made in their little blockades. What was also amusing was when the protesters needed something for a respite, such as Ben-gay or bottled water or whatever, where did they walk right into to get said supplies? Three guesses and the first two don't count...

As a followup to my post, I think that "anti-protestors" have just as much right as the protestors. Hopefully these protestors realize they aren't getting a warm welcome, they would have to be pretty stupid not to. That is actually the whole point I would guess, if they came here and we were all cheering for them and saying how much we hate WM, I doubt they would see a point in coming back.

Protesting in front of a specific WM accomplishes some things, but when the problem they have is with the corporate attitude of WM in general or company wide problems then protesting at the San Jose Supercenter doesn't exactly get that point across.

Finally, since WM chooses to rent space at a state university, they should (and are, I think...) prepare for people to have the right to protest. Not only are protests generally centered around universities, but state rules basically prohibit the U of A from not allowing them to protest as long as they don't violate any of the set rules for such activity (which entail things like safety of the student body).

No, we need this in Fayetteville. I don't want it moving to Benton county too. I will shoot on site any Walmart protestors from Fayetteville. I guess they are just too stupid to realize how much walmart does in Fayetteville, all of NW Arkansas, and the Country.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a rendering in today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette in the NWA section. I'll have to see if I can find it online and post it here. Overall the article talks more about the baseball stadium potentially being built in Springdale but the arena is talked about also. If Benton County isn't a wet county by the time the arena is built then it will be run like a private club so that alcohol will be allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like an East Coast Hockey League, AKA Minor League Hockey Team, is going to be coming to the Sports Arena. The owners confirmed it today in the Morning News. They aren't sure if the team will be an expansion team, or a relocation of a team.

The Team will be in the South Division:

Augusta Lynx (Independent)

Charlotte Checkers (NYR/OTT)

Columbia Inferno (VAN)

Florida Everblades (CAR/FLA)

Greenville Grrrowl (CHI/EDM)

Gwinnett Gladiators (ATL)

Pensacola Ice Pilots (TOR)

South Carolina Stingrays (WSH)

This is basically like the AA Minor League Team of Hockey. The American Hockey League is the AAA, or one step above the East Coast Hockey League. The East Coast Hockey League is affilated with the NHL as wel . Overall, should be very popular considering all the Mid-west transplants and large corporate bases we have up here.

The Owners also confirmed that within 2 weeks, another Minor League Team for another sport will be announced.

Archived