Northwest Arkansas Sports and Entertainment Arena

Julles

^^

That's awesome news. Everybody at work keeps talking about how they'd like a hockey team in NWA. I actually prefer hockey over baseball most of the time. It would also be easier to name a team from Bentonville... Bentonville Blades, Bentonville Brawlers, Bentonville Billionaires. :D

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^

That's awesome news. Everybody at work keeps talking about how they'd like a hockey team in NWA. I actually prefer hockey over baseball most of the time. It would also be easier to name a team from Bentonville... Bentonville Blades, Bentonville Brawlers, Bentonville Billionaires. :D

I think it will probably bear the name Arkansas or NWA, at least that's what the owners were hinting at.

NWA Iceblades, Arkansas Bears, etc.

I think it will probably bear the name Arkansas or NWA, at least that's what the owners were hinting at.

NWA Iceblades, Arkansas Bears, etc.

I think using Bentonville in their name would be better. Most of the teams in the league use their city's name and Bentonville is becoming such a household name.

The Owners also confirmed that within 2 weeks, another Minor League Team for another sport will be announced.

...and the news keeps getting better.

Mith, in today's Benton County Record there's a picture of one of the principals in this project showing the arena renderings to Bentonville mayor Terry Coberly. This looks like ONE NICE PLACE from the inside, although architectural renderings can obviously change quickly.

Like we've been saying, there's DEFINITELY a sports interest here. (And MasonsDad, I still think the person was right who said "If Springdale doesn't build a baseball stadium, someone else in NWA will." The "gung ho" approach of these guys (and indeed, the quality of their team as you pointed out) makes me believe that baseball prediction even more now.)

...and the news keeps getting better.

Mith, in today's Benton County Record there's a picture of one of the principals in this project showing the arena renderings to Bentonville mayor Terry Coberly. This looks like ONE NICE PLACE from the inside, although architectural renderings can obviously change quickly.

Like we've been saying, there's DEFINITELY a sports interest here. (And MasonsDad, I still think the person was right who said "If Springdale doesn't build a baseball stadium, someone else in NWA will." The "gung ho" approach of these guys (and indeed, the quality of their team as you pointed out) makes me believe that baseball prediction even more now.)

I have no doubt that with Global Spectrum financing and managing this arena that they'll possibly build a baseball stadium next to it. They may not get a Double-A baseball team, but it'll still be an awesome addition to Bentonville and NWA.

I have no doubt that with Global Spectrum financing and managing this arena that they'll possibly build a baseball stadium next to it. They may not get a Double-A baseball team, but it'll still be an awesome addition to Bentonville and NWA.

I doubt it. Springdale's going to build it no doubt IMO.

I doubt it. Springdale's going to build it no doubt IMO.

At this point Springdale has two very big deciding factors.

1. The vote. Springdale residents would need to vote for an extension to a 1% sales tax that will go to the baseball stadium instead of roads and city services. That's a tough vote.

2. The team. The owners of the Wichita Wranglers still haven't commented on the deal with Springdale. If there was a chance that they had any intention of moving the team they would at least comment on it. It has nothing to do with keeping it a secret because the Wranglers contract is good through the 2008 season and either way they'll be in breach of contract, in which case the city of Wichita can opt to buy the team.

Bentonville has a better chance of a baseball team because the investors will own the stadium and the team. It won't affect the city's coffers so there won't need to be a vote and it already has financial backing by a major player in professional sports. Let's hope Springdale doesn't wait too long to announce something positive because Bentonville doesn't want to undermine Springdale's chances for a baseball stadium.

Appreciate the optimism, MasonsDad.

I'll see your optimism and raise it...it appears the hockey deal is with a VERY good minor league. I'll bet that if these people really want to put in a AA baseball team (assuming Springdale's idea doesn't come to fruition) I'm guessing that they can do it. Wouldn't be easy, but, what worthwhile thing ever is?

BTW, it will be very interesting to see what second minor league sport they announce in coming weeks if indeed that happens.

My guess is an ABA or National Basketball Development Team.

I think you're right. Besides, a hockey rink and a basketball court are much easier to combine in an indoor arena. Global Spectrum has built quite a few very nice multi-sports arenas for around $25-35 Million. This will be one of the bigger arenas, seating 9,000, with the average seating around 5,000.

I can't wait to take my son to a WWE wrestling match! Or whatever they're called these days. :D

Appreciate the optimism, MasonsDad.

I'll see your optimism and raise it...it appears the hockey deal is with a VERY good minor league. I'll bet that if these people really want to put in a AA baseball team (assuming Springdale's idea doesn't come to fruition) I'm guessing that they can do it. Wouldn't be easy, but, what worthwhile thing ever is?

BTW, it will be very interesting to see what second minor league sport they announce in coming weeks if indeed that happens.

If there's a hockey team it will be the Central Hockey League. The ECHL would probably be too ambitious.

I think hockey is THE sport that would do well. I don't really see a minor league basketball team competing with UA. In Little Rock the formula has been to get former UA athletes on the minor league teams and this works well. I could see AF2 potentially working fairly well in NWA if it is dominated by former Hogs. I think if NWA doesn't get a Texas League team, the minor league alternatives probably aren't worth the effort.

I think you're right. Besides, a hockey rink and a basketball court are much easier to combine in an indoor arena. Global Spectrum has built quite a few very nice multi-sports arenas for around $25-35 Million. This will be one of the bigger arenas, seating 9,000, with the average seating around 5,000.

I can't wait to take my son to a WWE wrestling match! Or whatever they're called these days. :D

Yeah, it should also bring in a lot of big name concerts, as well as Monster Truck Rally's, Truck Pulling Contests, and large conventions.

If I had to guess, the Minor League Basketball Team will follow, along with either the NIFL moving there or an Arena Football League 2 Franchise.

If there's a hockey team it will be the Central Hockey League. The ECHL would probably be too ambitious.

I

The owners annouced that it would be an ECHL team in the papers yesterday, it's pretty much a done deal. They want it to be an affiliate with the Dallas Stars or St. Louis Blues.

If I had to guess, the Minor League Basketball Team will follow, along with either the NIFL moving there or an Arena Football League 2 Franchise.

The owners annouced that it would be an ECHL team in the papers yesterday, it's pretty much a done deal. They want it to be an affiliate with the Dallas Stars or St. Louis Blues.

I just checked out the ECHL site, it's weird how many franchises in larger metros have flopped in recent years. Little Rock and Birmingham come to mind. Looking at the cities in the Southern division - Augusta, Greenville, Ft Myers, etc I think NWA would do just fine. I even think it may have a leg up on these metros. A decade ago this was a league was quite a bit different.

So can anyone see an Indoor Soccer Team here.

I don't see why not. An indoor soccer field isn't really expensive to build and there's already going to be hockey, basketball, football, baseball and probably a NASCAR circuit here to boot. Okay, maybe not NASCAR. :lol:

I don't see why not. An indoor soccer field isn't really expensive to build and there's already going to be hockey, basketball, football, baseball and probably a NASCAR circuit here to boot. Okay, maybe not NASCAR. :lol:

I would like to see an ARCA circuit here, but I doubt they'll build one. I still say we need a better racing facility than Thunder Mountain Speedway. I'd like to see something like Tulsa Raceway park, now that's a nice dragstip.

I would like to see an ARCA circuit here, but I doubt they'll build one. I still say we need a better racing facility than Thunder Mountain Speedway. I'd like to see something like Tulsa Raceway park, now that's a nice dragstip.

Thunder Valley Speedway closed in January or February, but there's nothing to stop someone from building a new speedway or even a drag strip. One of the reasons noone is jumping on one of these facilities is land costs and where to build it. Thunder Valley was doing well and only closed because the land was going to be developed into a subdivision. Once the widespread development of low density residential starts tapering off and cities start building medium to high density residential, the land costs should start coming down enough for these lower profit attractions. There's more than enough interest in racing here.

I've received some info that if all goes according to plan (which it never does :D ), the arena should open in October 2008.

That's good, because Pleasant Crossing and all it's attractions should be completed in the fall of 2007 so it looks like there will be something major being completed in Benton County every year.

Thunder Valley Speedway closed in January or February, but there's nothing to stop someone from building a new speedway or even a drag strip. One of the reasons noone is jumping on one of these facilities is land costs and where to build it. Thunder Valley was doing well and only closed because the land was going to be developed into a subdivision. Once the widespread development of low density residential starts tapering off and cities start building medium to high density residential, the land costs should start coming down enough for these lower profit attractions. There's more than enough interest in racing here.

Who knows?

May'be one could be built out near the new Arena. It would be another Tourist attraction that would compliment the arena.

My guess is an ABA or National Basketball Development Team.

Believe me, you don't want an ABA team. It's a shoddy league with shoddy teams. The best team in the league in 2004-05 was the Arkansas RimRockers (Little Rock) and they left for the D-League. Some teams play in high schools. One team even got evicted from a high school for not paying the $300 rent. Many teams did not pay players. Many teams folded before the seasons started and during the season.

You want a D-League team, but I doubt a place like NWA will be able to convince the NBA to grant a D-League team, esp. since the Arkansas RimRockers are in Little Rock. The AR RR would need to rename. Plus, the other D-league teams are in fairly big cities.

You want a D-League team, but I doubt a place like NWA will be able to convince the NBA to grant a D-League team, esp. since the Arkansas RimRockers are in Little Rock. The AR RR would need to rename. Plus, the other D-league teams are in fairly big cities.

Hmmm....Fargo seems to have a D-League team, that's a pretty small market. Tulsa is near as well with a D-League team, which could hamper possibilites as well.

Fargo has a NBDL only because they were part of the CBA buyout.

The CBA is another league which has a proven track record of attendance.....so over the summer the NBDL attracted 5 or 6 teams from the CBA. (That's why the Arkansas RimRockers were so enticing...they had the highest basketball minor league attendance average at over 5000 per game.)

I guess if you guys have a wealthy businessman who could convince the NBDL that NWA is the real deal, it will work. That is, if they're planning on expanding.

Over the summer, 3 NBDL teams were dropped (Fayetteville, NC, Florida, and Roanoke).

But again, I would see a name conflict with the "Arkansas" RimRockers. Would it be the Arkansas RimRockers vs. the Northwest Arkansas somethings? Or what?

Believe me, you don't want an ABA team. It's a shoddy league with shoddy teams. The best team in the league in 2004-05 was the Arkansas RimRockers (Little Rock) and they left for the D-League. Some teams play in high schools. One team even got evicted from a high school for not paying the $300 rent. Many teams did not pay players. Many teams folded before the seasons started and during the season.

I agree about the ABA. The CBA was a class league until Isaiah ran it into the ground. He's doing the same thing with the Knicks' organization now.

It looks like an East Coast Hockey League, AKA Minor League Hockey Team, is going to be coming to the Sports Arena. The owners confirmed it today in the Morning News. They aren't sure if the team will be an expansion team, or a relocation of a team.

The Team will be in the South Division:

Augusta Lynx (Independent)

Charlotte Checkers (NYR/OTT)

Columbia Inferno (VAN)

Florida Everblades (CAR/FLA)

Greenville Grrrowl (CHI/EDM)

Gwinnett Gladiators (ATL)

Pensacola Ice Pilots (TOR)

South Carolina Stingrays (WSH)

This is basically like the AA Minor League Team of Hockey. The American Hockey League is the AAA, or one step above the East Coast Hockey League. The East Coast Hockey League is affilated with the NHL as wel . Overall, should be very popular considering all the Mid-west transplants and large corporate bases we have up here.

The Owners also confirmed that within 2 weeks, another Minor League Team for another sport will be announced.

Any ideas what league the former Arkansas teams were in? Does Little Rock still have one of their hockey teams? I saw that Texarkana is apparently losing theirs.

Archived