The Grande On Monroe! (Formerly Known as the Floridian)

TD

I just happened to click onto Booths website early this morning and I have discovered that Booth has changed the name of there development on the corenr of Tennessee and Monroe to The Grande on Monroe! They say plans are being finalized and they will have more info soon!!!

I cant wait!!!!

The Grande On Monroe

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I see crews digging up a good bit of the soil on that site and I'm growing increasingly cusious about the height of the planned building. I believe someone reported it may be up to 12 stories tall. Will it resemble The Tennyson or is this information no longer available.

Just for the record, I no longer work for the city so I'm not privledged to the inside scoop the way I used to be.

Just for the record, I no longer work for the city so I'm not privledged to the inside scoop the way I used to be.

Ah man I'm sorry to hear that! One reason for our U.P. inside scoops and two b/c you won't be working in a good job that just seemed right for you.

Have you got a new job lined up? Again sorry to hear this TJ.

Don't be sorry about it Poonther! My departure from the city is temporary and of course they sent me off in good fashion, in good spirits! No bridges were burned, but I've just got another opportunity to make a bit more money for the summer.

I'm selling cars again! It went so well last summer, I'm doing it again. That way I can afford to work another city hall-pay job during the fall semester.

If you want a Nissan, come see me at KRAFT on Mahan! :D

^Good for you TJ and glad to hear you may go back to City Hall in the fall. Kraft by far has the best looking car dealership in town and I think the Kraft brothers are some of the most respectable car dealers in town. A few years ago I bought my Volvo from them, but when they built the new location, Nissan told them they'd help them out financially, but that they must boot the Volvo's and only sell Nissan...or at least that's the story Chris K. told me. Now I'm stuck w/Capital Volvo for my service and they just aren't the same.

Good Luck!

Well great to know you're in the Kraft family! Because if you don't see the KRAFT sign on the back of your car, you paid too much, WAYYY too much!! LOL!

I really wish they would remove the cheap crappy loooking political sign that's hanging at this project site. It really isn't flattering to the candidate or the property. And it looks very bad on one of our city's major intersections.

This reminds me of something I noticed today.

How much longer do you guys think the Mays-Monroe next to the circular Holiday Inn will remain open. It has been open since I can remember and I have no idea how profitable the store is, but I can't imagine that it will remain as is in the not so distant future considering the current growth spirt and prime location. I would think that at some point a developer will make them an offer they can't refuse. That is unless thay are way more profitable than I am giving them credit for.

I can't speak for him, but I believe he was refering to the building that is on Monroe. This would make sense. I noticed a week or so ago that this building seems to have very little life these days.

Good eyes, that's exactly the one!

TJ does Bethel really has their eye on the "Round Holiday Inn?" Would they keep it running as a motel/hotel or do they have other plans for it?

As far as Mays-Munroe goes, I've actually shopped at that one several times b/c they are the only people in town that have parts for my 1950's stove. The parking is tough, but there's a place in the back and going in there is sorta like going to a museum. I only venture in there about once a year, so I would not be too upset if they disappeared from that location. If they did sell it, I'd hope they'd at least keep my stove parts out at their Cap. Circle location.

Is this the old architect's firm that sits along Monroe, or the building on the other side?

I think that you are referring to the engineering firm PBS&J, not 100% sure though.

Also, there was a law firm on the Calhoun side of the building a few years back (Sternstein Rainer and Clarke), and maybe someone else there more recently.

It was my understanding that this building is sitting on land that was, at least originally, part of this project.

Good eyes, that's exactly the one!

TJ does Bethel really has their eye on the "Round Holiday Inn?" Would they keep it running as a motel/hotel or do they have other plans for it?

As far as Mays-Munroe goes, I've actually shopped at that one several times b/c they are the only people in town that have parts for my 1950's stove. The parking is tough, but there's a place in the back and going in there is sorta like going to a museum. I only venture in there about once a year, so I would not be too upset if they disappeared from that location. If they did sell it, I'd hope they'd at least keep my stove parts out at their Cap. Circle location.

Poonther, as far as the Hotel goes, the pastor said he would like it to continue to run as a Holiday Inn if the church purchased it. Bethel has a grand plan for the little piece of downtown we own, but for now its all talk. Our next big thing is building our new church, which will be located on that PRIME piece of real estate between Bethel and the Federal Building we call City Centre. It would be my desire to see a huge high rise go there instead of our new church, but who am I?

So Bethel owns that PRIME vacant lot now? I too would rather see a high-rise go there instead of a church. If Bethel builds there on the vacant lot, what will become of the current church? Wow so Bethel wants to at least own all or most of the property on BOTH sides of Tenn. from Macomb up to Bronough plus the family life center off Virginia....they are becoming a big player in the downtown.

Question: If a church owns property even property that is NOT used for the church bldg. itself...say like the restaurant Bethel owns, does that property get taken off the tax roles since churches are non-profits?

Also is it a good idea, bad idea or makes no difference to have a church of any kind (I'm not just talking about Bethel) as a major player in owning land downtown and helping in the redevelopment of a downtown?

I agree with you. But as a member of the church I don't feel I'm able to criticize. I feel the prime lot across from the church should go to a private developer, and I think only the church would be non taxable. The company that the church establishes as a non-profit entity probably wouldn't qualify for preferential tax treatment, but I'll have a more concrete answer when I get home this evening.

Archived