The Grande On Monroe! (Formerly Known as the Floridian)

TD

TJ, when did the church buy the 1 acre lot for the City Centre? I know they allowed the church to use it for parking, but that piece and the building where up for sale a little while back.

PS - the Holiday Inn, is exploring a condo conversion - the current owners would still manage it, it would be our first Condotel.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Governor's Inn has already done this Condo Conversion so that would have to be our second. Our church entered into an agreement with the owners of the parcel across from it a few years ago, I want to say at least 3 years past. $300,000.00 deposit for a total purchase price of $3,000,000 I believe.

• 4 weeks later...

It is my belief that this project is waiting on a final design. I think there has been a tad bit of pre-App work just based on conversations I've had with Members of our Planning department. Outside of that, I'm not sure what else has been done as far as the government is concerned.

Right now, we're awaiting a final design from booth. My hope is that it is contemporary in design like the rendering previously posted for a gas station conversion.

I heard that they started the portion of the project that you see now because of the environmental work that had to be done prior to any construction, or possibly any engineering work to be done.

They removed the old underground tanks and abated the associated contamination (not sure if there was any, or what stage this is at). On the radio yesterday or two days ago they said there was still no confirmation of whether the project would be residential, commercial or both. Only speculation at this point as to what would actually be built there.

I think that the build just north of the old gas station site is part of the property, and will need to come down before anything new can start as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I notice the other day that they planted sod (grass) over the entire demolished site. I've never really seen that done before, but I'm sure they did it to stabilize the plot and for the water run-off. When I saw that grass my first thought was "man it's gonna be a long time before something is done here."

I drove by this afternoon and saw that grass and I too immediately thought "wow, this project is going nowhere fast." Glad to know it is for runoff purposes, as that hadn't occurred to me.

I'm just guessing that's why it's there. If they were going to build immediately, I'm sure they would have skipped that step.

I'm just guessing that's why it's there. If they were going to build immediately, I'm sure they would have skipped that step.

I hope it is for runoff and that makes a lot of sense. The only time I have seen that done though was here in Lexington on our courthouse project that took forever. It was a block of buildings that were razed for a cultural center in the mid 90's. The cultural center was never built and so a temporary grassy area was installed until it was decided what to do with the property. Finally, around 1999 construction began on the courthouse plaza which wasn't completed until 2004. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen in Tally. I included a pic of the final project...it's nice enough, but ridiculous that it took as much time as it did to complete.

lexpics011.jpg

lexpics010.jpg

lexpics009.jpg

• 2 months later...

TJ, when did this news come out? I could have sworn in the past few days in one of the other threads we were just talking about a parking garage going up on the adjacent lot and what type of building was going to be built on the corner-- that and that someone had wished that a garden would be created on the lot until construction started.

A publix on the bottom 2 or 3 floors would be perfect for this location but there better be multiple stories above it. Also, for major projects - which the site is prime for - there probably needs to be an out of town developer with some financial pull. I just don't think the chances are great for a local developer to receive the necessary financial backing to pull off a major downtown highrise project. The Civic Center fiasco is a perfect example.

The Civic Center "fiasco" was more complicated than that. And some would consider MeyerJabara a major national player in the hotel industry. It was difficult to secure financing for a publicly owned piece of property. The same developer could have gone across the street, as JQH hopes to do, and build a hotel to cater to the Civic Center, and recieved the money with relative ease.

A publix on the bottom 2 or 3 floors would be perfect for this location but there better be multiple stories above it. Also, for major projects - which the site is prime for - there probably needs to be an out of town developer with some financial pull. I just don't think the chances are great for a local developer to receive the necessary financial backing to pull off a major downtown highrise project. The Civic Center fiasco is a perfect example.

Archived