Born gay or is it by choice?

miamistreets

Nature or Choice?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think gay people are born gay, or do you think that at one point or another people choose to turn gay?

• I think they are born gay.
    • I think they choose to become gay.
    • I think my opinion doesnt matter.

ok,i dont know if anybody has done this topic befoe because i havnt been on the site for a while.But at school my teacher and the students were discussing wether gay people are born like that or do they turn gay at one point or another.

I just want to know what you guys think because chaos broke loose in my class and i dont know,I'd like to hear(read in this case) what you guys have to say.i will respond once i get a few responses.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people are born gay. There's alot of fighting your natural tendencies when you're first discovering yourself. Why would people fight something like that so hard if they "chose" to be that way. On the flip side. I have definately had friends who told everyone they were gay, instantly went from being all manly John Wayne like to Christopher Lowell almost overnight. One night at the bar they are telling me they are gay, the next week they have salon styled hair, a pink abercrombie polo and glitter. When they see me, they shriek and say "HEY GIRL".

I guess that kind of bugs me. But really that's just as bad as the dude you see at the gay bar everynight, who's all " I Like football, Brett Farve is the man". acting all manly and then it turns out, they are gayer, than twinkie girl screaming abercrombie man. Be yourself peeps everything is better that way.

I guess the question I would pose to that is, how is it a choice. You can't help how you feel. You CAN control what you do. Very fine difference in that. Homosexuality is not a vocation. You don't get paid for being gay. You get ridiculed, chastized, and ostracized for it. Why would you CHOOSE that? Most men could not even fathom a relationship with another man. Others don't just wake up one morning and say, you know I think i'm going to be a big queer from here on out. Also if it's a choice, how come you can look at a kid, and say, that kid's going to be gay when he grows up. Kid wouldn't even know what gay is sometimes.

it is by choice. you are not born a teacher. you are not born a terrorist. it is your living enviorment. Although i don't agree with homosexuality. being gay is your choice and i respect that.

So it sounds to me like you're saying that if it's a choice to become gay, that everybody must be born with homosexual tendacies, and that most people just choose to suppress them and not act out on them.

I just don't buy that. I've always heard that most homosexuals knew at a very young age, like 3-4 years old that they were different. There's no way someone would choose to be gay, not with all the crap and hatred they have to put up with.

I believe for some it's by choice, but for other's it's the way they were born. Some, in our society it's mostly women, can "experiment" and be 100% straight. I've read too many artilces and seen too many tv programs to be convinced that the majority of gay people aren't born that way. I believe it's just a benign (hurts no one, makes no difference to an individual's survival) genetic flaw. I understand if some people think I'm over-simplifying it, but I think of being gay to be just the same as being born with bad eyesight (or maybe not, there are no "glasses" a gay person wears to become straight).

Born born born born born. Period. As mentioned above, many of us know at a young age that we're different. It may sound ridiculous, but I remember finding that other guys cute way back in Kindergarten. It's just something that's always been a part of me and always will be. I have theories as to what made me gay (growing up with three sisters?), but when it comes down to it, I believe it's a genetic thing.

As many of you on here might know, I am Christian. I've only been Chrisitian for three years so I still don't know as much as I should. I believe that people aren't born gay. I believe a situation like boy having three sister can make someone believe they were gay. Maybe the father figure wanted a son so bad that he was treating his daugter like a boy. What I'm saying is what happens in your early ages can have an effect on the way you grow up. I'm not saying that anyone on UP father abused or molested them when they were young, but that doesn't mean that doesn't happen.

Another thing. People like to think of Christians as gay haters and we are not. I would accept a gay into my home and shelter him/her and feed him/her and help them out. I'm sure you guys have heard of that group called (this is not meant to harm anyone) "God hates hags" These people in now way represent the Christian way. We love the person but we disagree with the fact that they think that thier sexual orientation is natural or right. With that said it doesn't mean we hate you guys. Infact we are suppose to be friends with you guys and everybody else. God loves his children weather or not they are gay or strait, but he didn't make man to mate thier own sex. Now you might ask this question...if he loves everyone, then why does he dislike homosexuality. Its just like you ask your child not to do something but they do it anyway. You are dissapointed in what they did, but you still love them because it is your child. See what I'm saying?

There was a thread a while back dealing with homosexuality and I made a post in it saying how it is disgusting and gross and all this stuff and was real offensive. Back then I was a new Christian and didn't now anything. I have grown in my walk and I am more mature (isn't that somethin'? :silly: ) I apologize if I came of harsh and offensive in that post I made. That must have been almost three years ago.

I see people have answered to the question.

Thats good M. Brown that ur showing a good example.And thats is true,i can support that satement of christians not hating gay people.for i am also a chritstian.We do not hate gay people, but also we do not support that action either. (i do not have much time right now,for i must get to church,but i did want to say that.)

.....We love the person but we disagree with the fact that they think that thier sexual orientation is natural or right. .....

"We"? Do you suggest that you speak for all "Christians" now? I don't think so.

Fortunately not all Christians feel this way, but even here in modern times, people still wish to bring up they are Christian to justify prejudice and bigotry against Gays. Its no different than 200 years ago when good Christians felt that Blacks were incapiable of being anything more than slaves. Yes they loved their slaves, just as they love Gays now, but they are still not deserved acceptance as equals or that they should even exist.

Please spare us any further platitudes of loving the sinner but hating the sin. We have all heard it before and personally I feel that your mind has been corrupted by those who use religion to maintain their own positions of power. To your credit you have progressed from calling us "digusting and gross" but honestly, it's continued attitudes like this as to why there are so many problems in this world. When people used their "religion" to pass judgement on others, then watch out.

This thread is going nowhere and only going to serve to piss off a lot of people.

Archived