CONSTRUCTION THREAD : In-fill and small projects

TREY

I figured we could use a topic to cover all the odds and ends projects that are going on in the older Greenville neighborhoods and downtown. As we have discussed the lack of population density of Greenville IMO these type of projects will make a difference and hopefully some we be lower cost homes.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DSCF0691.jpg

If I remember correctly they tore down two abandoned house's to build this 14 unit development. The sign says that all but two have sold. Does anyone know the asking price for these units?

It's between the Greenville Drive stadium and the Greenville County Council buildings. If you ever go to a Drive game and park in the county council parking lot, it will be right across the street where you walk to get to the new ballpark. You can actually see the ballpark behind that parking lot in the background of the picture TREY posted.

I figured we could use a topic to cover all the odds and ends projects that are going on in the older Greenville neighborhoods and downtown. As we have discussed the lack of population density of Greenville IMO these type of projects will make a difference and hopefully some we be lower cost homes.

I agree that we need to increase our density, and we are. But keep in mind that Greenville city and Greenville county are most dense city and county in the state, respectively. :thumbsup:

If I remember correctly they tore down two abandoned house's to build this 14 unit development. The sign says that all but two have sold. Does anyone know the asking price for these units?

They are asking $275K each for the 2 remaining townhomes.

Just a couple of quick facts about the west end cottages. They are being built on a 1/2 acre lot and the land cost $235,000.00 or $16,785.00 per unit. I am curious what land cost per unit at other sites ?

Is it that much less off woodruff road or other places?

What is it going to take to get some housing in the $150,000.00-250,000.00 range downtown?

I agree that we need to increase our density, and we are. But keep in mind that Greenville city and Greenville county are most dense city and county in the state, respectively. :thumbsup:

I don't know if it's changed since then, but Simpsonville was the densest in the Upstate as of 2000. My hunch is that it is still that way. In this respect, Simpsonville benefits from a lack of many other uses aside from residential.

Here's an idea that would

What is it going to take to get some housing in the $150,000.00-250,000.00 range downtown?

Here's an idea that might result in some residential options in the more affordable prices ranges. We have two public assistance facilities located downtown that are, from what I've heard, in need of gutting. We could construct a new facility downtown (or two)... something a little more maintenance friendly... and then renovate the old public assistance facilities for use as more moderately-priced condos/rental units.

Here's an idea that might result in some residential options in the more affordable prices ranges. We have two public assistance facilities located downtown that are, from what I've heard, in need of gutting. We could construct a new facility downtown (or two)... something a little more maintenance friendly... and then renovate the old public assistance facilities for use as more moderately-priced condos/rental units.

YES! We need to get Towers East(?) off of North Main honestly. No one is going to venture up that way, when people are loitering on the sidewalk. I'd love to see this building renovated and add some porches and such to end up looking like the Bookends. This building is very prominent when viewing the skyline from Laurens Rd. Not to mention that the people at 400 North Main would love some new neighbors I'm sure.

I think to extend North Main's pedestrian friendliness past the Hyatt, this building has to be changed and add retail on the first floor, up on the street (as well as at the Landmark building). I think anything past this property would be a hard sale because of that massive hill.

This is off topic, but does anyone have any idea of how to tackle the hill that is North Main St past the cemetary? That's got to be a hard sale to developers...

The cemetery is going to be hard to build around, simply because it is so large. At this point it just feels too open, as if it intrudes into the rest of downtown. I first realized this when I went with a friend to the Commerce Club a few years ago.

Right now, it is an eyesore and there needs to be a way to either build some nice trees around it to shelter it from the rest of downtown, or include it somehow. I know it is bad for me to wish it weren't there, and I have to keep in mind that it is an important part of Greenville's past. We need to find a way to embrace it and capitalize on it, if that is possible. I am ready for the plan for that area to be implemented!

Those "loiterers" are barely able to walk, and they are not a threat to anyone. There are a lot worse things to be around than Senior housing.

The next logical step to develop towards Stone, is for the city to sell the Municipal Court building. That site is no less desireable than 400 N. Main. Maybe even the American Legion musuem could be relocated and the two sites could be merged into one large mixed use project. It would overlook McPherson Park and the new streetscaping will be finished soon. I have walked the site(s) and they are a good size parcel.

This is off topic, but does anyone have any idea of how to tackle the hill that is North Main St past the cemetary? That's got to be a hard sale to developers...

I've always thought that a cable car running all the way up main to the northgate/rutherford rd. area would be great for people to get to and from the north main neighborhoods.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for the update. They look great and you're right Skyliner, they will indeed be some lucky individuals. I wish that they could have made it possible for the cul-de-sac to go all the way through to Augusta Street. That would have made for a nice experience driving down Augusta. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I was helping work on the old building you have pictures of. They were calling it the keys building. I believe some lawyers are going to rent it out. They already rent the parking spaces in the parking lot beside it for 1000 dollars per month per space. That is no typo either.

Archived