Street Furniture

civitas

Many of the recent photos on UP show outdoor tables, benches, planters, sandwich-panel signs, light poles, parking meters, fencing, traffic signs, bike racks, etc. What is good and bad about this stuff? How do you feel about the stuff that fills the streetscape?

I'll start with one that really annoys me - the freedom of the press (small p). These things are ugly and apparently unregulated. There must be a better way.

149912675_3b0eeedac3.jpg

150018336_724312bf0f.jpg

The benches at Leo's are nice, but I've never seen anyone use them.

150022994_ba30cda526.jpg

The movable chairs at Rosa Parks are great. Very flexible.

150022653_02b23c7b02.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you've ever noticed the ones in downtown Chicago that hold say 3-6 different papers, I think those are really sharp. They're black with gold letters....I couldn't find any photos. I always wondered why GR could start using some like that. (Their bus waiting shelters are really sharp down there, too.)

Maybe I'm just a fan of classic ways, But IMHO I'd prefer to see all those press boxes OFF the sidewalks, and rather see small press botiques up against any walls downtown that may be... 100% wall (like Icon on Bond). Wasn't there actually something like this in Seinfeld?

Establish a few around town, get rid of the press boxes, and you have a more friendly, organised feel along the streets.

I'm sure that the city could pass some ordinance to control where and where not and how newspapers can be sold

Many of the recent photos on UP show outdoor tables, benches, planters, sandwich-panel signs, light poles, parking meters, fencing, traffic signs, bike racks, etc. What is good and bad about this stuff? How do you feel about the stuff that fills the streetscape?

I'll start with one that really annoys me - the freedom of the press (small p). These things are ugly and apparently unregulated. There must be a better way.

149912675_3b0eeedac3.jpg

150018336_724312bf0f.jpg

The benches at Leo's are nice, but I've never seen anyone use them.

150022994_ba30cda526.jpg

The movable chairs at Rosa Parks are great. Very flexible.

150022653_02b23c7b02.jpg

I agree, it's like putting up cheap awnings on store fronts...such as a certain eating estbalishment across from the Amway Grand Plaza. I understand the benefits of marketing and corporate branding but a little class goes a long way.

In most of my European visits I don't recall any newspaper boxes like these. For the most part there would news kiosks on the street that sold newspapers, magazines, drinks, etc. Most looked very nice and always attracted a crowd. Gosh, include some nice seating and nice landscaping around it and people may actually want to stay and hang out. Again, a culture is created in which people want to be around. Who wants to stand next to plastic newspaper boxes on the curb or sit in solitary confinement in the middle of Rosa Parks circle.

Culture, culture, culture...it's everywhere but it is what you want to make of it.

Archived