Whole Foods?

With Whole Foods coming to the Elizabeth district, do you think that other Whole Foods will pop-up in other area's. Like maybe Matthews, Huntersville, Southpark, Pineville, and maybe even Mint Hill. Or somewhere in Western Union County. The new Whole Foods will be the only one in Charlotte. I think Raleigh area has a couple. The Triad has a few to I think. I know that we have Earth Fare, but that is kinda more "gourmet". Whole Foods is kind more funky and they are a really great store. What do you all think??

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a second WF that's been announced for SouthPark as well. It'll be next door almost to the Earth Fare that's opening in that same area. I suspect that'll be followed by a location in Ballantyne and possibly north Charlotte as well.

Thanks turbocraig, Where in Southpark is the Earth Fare going. Also I think that you are more right about the Whole Foods going in Ballantyne, because that is a more upscale area. As for North Charlotte where would you say it would go? Maybe around Northlake mall area?

The Earth Fare is going at the Morrison development, I can't remember the exact name, but it's in another thread here somewhere. I drive by it all the time and it's almost completed, but for some reason there aren't any retailers there yet. The WF has been confirmed for the same intersection where the EF is already going, so I'm not real sure exactly where they'll each be, but they'll be neighbors nonetheless.

As far as North Charlotte goes, I don't really get up there a whole lot, but the Northlake area seems a definite possibility as does Davidson/Huntersville.

Between Talley's, Home Economist, Earth Fare, and Whole Foods ... (plus the little Berrysomething market) ... Charlotte is racking up quite a few organic stores.

It definately puts us up high on the "new south" index.

All I can add is that it's very frustrating to hear about all of the new natural food stores going in south of I277. I live in the UC area (after living in the Raleigh region for a few years - where there are 2 Wholefoods - and soon to be a Trader Joes's) - and am tired of having to drive 20 miles to buy organic bulk rice. HTeeter and Lowes do have some options - but nothing like what is available at Earthfare/Home Ec/Wholefoods.

I've written each chain several times, but to no avail. I've never lived in a "University" area that didn't have at least a tiny health food store nearby. Davidson Home Ec doesn't count.

Sorry, just my rant.

All I can add is that it's very frustrating to hear about all of the new natural food stores going in south of I277. I live in the UC area (after living in the Raleigh region for a few years - where there are 2 Wholefoods - and soon to be a Trader Joes's) - and am tired of having to drive 20 miles to buy organic bulk rice. HTeeter and Lowes do have some options - but nothing like what is available at Earthfare/Home Ec/Wholefoods.

I've written each chain several times, but to no avail. I've never lived in a "University" area that didn't have at least a tiny health food store nearby. Davidson Home Ec doesn't count.

Sorry, just my rant.

The problem with the UC area is that is simply undesirable. Did you say that there is a Trader Joe's coming to Raleigh? :yahoo:

I don't live in the University area but it does tend to get overlooked by many of the national chains that are focused on South Charlotte. Whole Foods is taking eons to get to Charlotte anyhow. WF will be a great addition to the city when the Liz store finally opens 2 years from now.Their business practices are very progressive and they treat their employees very well.

As a vegan, I am looking forward to more options in terms of food. Hopefully Earthfare, Whole Foods, Home Economist, and talley's will have a price war as my food bills are currently double what they were in Los Angeles.

And with Trader Joe's opening up stores all over the East Coast it will nto be long until they open up Charlotte as well.

The problem with the UC area is that is simply undesirable. Did you say that there is a Trader Joe's coming to Raleigh? :yahoo:

Yes - it's supposedly going to be in the WinnDixie in Cary.

http://www.carynews.com/news/story/2934868p-9378568c.html

(hey - there's an empty Winn Dixie in UC - very close to the Back Creek Church area - I hope they take a look at that location!!!).

I think with the UC coalition we might be able to get more attention - we might not look as cosmopolitan as the rest of Charlotte- but we do have the biggest population base.

I wish Whole Foods had been able to take over a vacant store in South Charlotte if that is their primary focus area to break into the local market. It would have been so much faster that way :thumbsup: They took over a vacant supermarket in Mount Pleasant,SC where I used to live and were open within months. Too bad the old Bi-Lo on Park in Dilworth is not available. That would have been an ideal location.

Archived