What do like and dislike about the Northeast?

Rwarky

I like the fact that between Boston and DC there are around 43 million people, living very dense, in walkable/accessible cities and towns. Compared to all the South Atlantic coast states (VA, NC, SC, GA, FL) which COMBINED have 45 million people or so spread out over mostly sprawling car-oriented metropolitan areas and small towns. I'm from the South, but if antthing, the Northeast should be and is gradually becoming the model for the South. So basically I like the density of the Northeast.

What I don't like about the Northeast is exorbitant amount of air and water pollution, that hails from an industrial past. Luckily, an eco-progressive mindset is taking over the government and citizenry.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the fact that between Boston and DC there are around 43 million people, living very dense, in walkable/accessible cities and towns. Compared to all the South Atlantic coast states (VA, NC, SC, GA, FL) which COMBINED have 45 million people or so spread out over mostly sprawling car-oriented metropolitan areas and small towns. I'm from the South, but if antthing, the Northeast should be and is gradually becoming the model for the South. So basically I like the density of the Northeast.

What I don't like about the Northeast is exorbitant amount of air and water pollution, that hails from an industrial past. Luckily, an eco-progressive mindset is taking over the government and citizenry.

The Northeast has some of the most stringent environmental laws in the nation including the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative which Rhode Island and Massachusetts finally signed (Mass. after electing a Democratic Governor, and RI after the new Lt. Gov. shamed our Republican Governor into doing so). We are far from perfect, and have a lot of work to do, but our poor environmental and pollution problems are figments of the 1988 Dukakis presidential campaign.

The Northeast has some of the most stringent environmental laws in the nation including the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative which Rhode Island and Massachusetts finally signed (Mass. after electing a Democratic Governor, and RI after the new Lt. Gov. shamed our Republican Governor into doing so). We are far from perfect, and have a lot of work to do, but our poor environmental and pollution problems are figments of the 1988 Dukakis presidential campaign.

• 2 weeks later...

Like:

- The density, how major cities are in smaller defined areas compared to Jacksonville which is giganto and the entire county.

- The density of cities, how one major city's outer suburbs seemingly borders another city's outer suburbs. You're never really that far from some urban center.

- The surroundings. Even though there's a lot of blighted and rundown industrial centers and old neighborhoods, they still have some charm to them. There's a sense of greenery somewhere in the cities, some sort of charm in the neighborhoods and the buildings in them.

- Many cities have some nighttime vibrancy in much of the downtown areas, some even 24 hours a day. Other places, they die out at 10 pm.

- The weather. Sure it gets cold, but not really that oppressively. Sure it gets hot and humid, but not really that oppressively. Nothing really seems to stick around for dominant amounts of the year. There's always some variation, you never know what you're going to expect. By the time you get sick of the season, it changes. We also don't get tornadoes, no major hurricanes, nothing severe. Just nor'easters and blizzards, tame to other parts of the country.

- Just so much to do and see around here

- Historical sense, many major cities and landmarks from all the things you learned in school

Dislike:

- The insanely high cost of living (esp. housing)

- The driving, especially the ones (usually NY or NJ) hitting 90 on the speedometer, weaving lanes, flashing their lights to get you to move, and talking on their cell phones in their huge SUVs.

- Industrial blight

- The New York Yankees, and quite many of their fans

- The politics and high taxes. Can our politicans do anything right?

And you basically live in the Boston Metro and like the Yankees. Trust me, Yankees fans are WAY more obnoxious. Red Sox fans have years of disappointment to temper their ego's, Yankees fans just think that 20 whatever World Championships allows them to say what they want when they want.

yeah, but i grew up much closer to new york. i don't change teams because i move. i'm gonna have to say the fans that chant "yankees suck" during concerts and patriots games are more obnoxious. that's something i've never seen at a concert in the new york area.

Well. You're an outsider to the Red Sox culture. So it's odd to explain, even for us. We just do it the Red Sox faithful. Got to figure though, after so many years of mediocrity and being second to the Yankees... we in Sox nation have grown to extremely hate the Yankees and everything about them. Our passion against the Yankees is so strong, it spills into every day life and can lead to chants at concerts or other sport events or church picnics or anything.

Well. You're an outsider to the Red Sox culture. So it's odd to explain, even for us. We just do it the Red Sox faithful. Got to figure though, after so many years of mediocrity and being second to the Yankees... we in Sox nation have grown to extremely hate the Yankees and everything about them. Our passion against the Yankees is so strong, it spills into every day life and can lead to chants at concerts or other sport events or church picnics or anything.

Archived