What do like and dislike about the Northeast?

Rwarky

Very interesting observations Jerry. I could never imagine living in Florida, only going there on vacation.

And as far as the weather goes, I don't think we could have it much better. We get some snow in the winter which is always fun, we have beautiful spring and fall temperatures with mild days and cool nights, and then we have hot summer days where we can enjoy the beach. We have the best of three worlds.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Like:

The pretty leaves in fall

Pretty scenery in general

The immensely fasciniting history

The industriousness + large industrial areas

Dislike:

The two times I've been, there, the people seemed cold, unfriendly, and more than a little snooty/snobby/stuck up

EVERYTHING's private, like lake access, golf courses, etc.

Yankee Nor'easterners, and most especially NYC'ers seem to think they're at the center of the universe. Watch the Today Show, etc., and you'd think NYC is all there is to America and the Universe As We Know It.

Like:

The pretty leaves in fall

Pretty scenery in general

The immensely fasciniting history

The industriousness + large industrial areas

Dislike:

The two times I've been, there, the people seemed cold, unfriendly, and more than a little snooty/snobby/stuck up

EVERYTHING's private, like lake access, golf courses, etc.

Yankee Nor'easterners, and most especially NYC'ers seem to think they're at the center of the universe. Watch the Today Show, etc., and you'd think NYC is all there is to America and the Universe As We Know It.

• 2 weeks later...
Quite true, there is no disputing that, and I will also say that NYC is a great place to see and visit. However, there is a certain element of pompousness there. They do seem to subtlely talk down to everybody else who doesn't live in NYC, even I think to some degree upstate New Yorkers. They always dismiss western states a cowboy land, the South as being solely populated by hicks, and the midwest as flyover country. Again, never in as many words, but it is subtle, it is there, and it is one reason why New Yorkers are not always appreciated outside of New York.

Quite true, there is no disputing that, and I will also say that NYC is a great place to see and visit. However, there is a certain element of pompousness there. They do seem to subtlely talk down to everybody else who doesn't live in NYC, even I think to some degree upstate New Yorkers. They always dismiss western states a cowboy land, the South as being solely populated by hicks, and the midwest as flyover country. Again, never in as many words, but it is subtle, it is there, and it is one reason why New Yorkers are not always appreciated outside of New York.

I know what you are talking about. I think Californians are worse about this attitude than anyone else in the country. In the Northeast, I think some of that impression can come from their brashness and opinionated nature. However, my experience with Californians is that they believe they are genetically superior to all other portions of the country (even if they moved there after college :huh: ), particularly towards the midwest and south. Of course, I'm being stereotypical here myself.

funny you should mention that. i have met quite a few californians while in college and working at a college and, while they may not mean to, they all seem to have this arrogance and feeling of superiority to them in the way they talk and their attitudes. like i said, it's not that they are arrogant or really feel this way, but it comes across that way in talking to them. i have yet to meet a californian who was not this way.

people in the northeast are opinionated and not afraid to show it, i will give you that. but we're also friendly and helpful.

Archived