Barry Bonds passes Ruth

damus

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-w...ov=ap&type=lgns

"He's hit a few home runs off me while he was juiced. Look at him, the man is enormous," Wells said Saturday. "Still, he's a hell of a ballplayer. He's got to deal with it, not me."

"He's admitted taking it, but not knowingly. I think that's a crock," Wells said. "I would never take something without knowing what I was putting in my body. There's no way. I don't think anyone in here would put something in their body without knowing what the effect could be."

"Steroids or no steroids, they're not going to make you hit the ball better. If you do hit the ball, there's a better chance you're going to hit it out because you're stronger."

What's eveyone's opinion on Bonds' recent accomplishments? Shouldn't Bonds be a hall of famer regardless of whether or not he's been taking steroids over the latter years of his career?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my question there is more then probable cause that Bonds is or has recently used some kind of illegal substance, why then is not SFPD or any local police in visiting cities just arresting him. This isn't Shoeless Joe where he broke some Baseball bylaw, these are federal drug statues that you and I would be getting hard jail time for. What makes Barry Bonds above the law? Proof can wait, all you need is the suspicion to make the arrest, proof is for his day in court.

This is my question there is more then probable cause that Bonds is or has recently used some kind of illegal substance, why then is not SFPD or any local police in visiting cities just arresting him. This isn't Shoeless Joe where he broke some Baseball bylaw, these are federal drug statues that you and I would be getting hard jail time for. What makes Barry Bonds above the law? Proof can wait, all you need is the suspicion to make the arrest, proof is for his day in court.

He's got money and admitted that he did something wrong. When has someone rich and famous who "came clean" even as half heartedly as Bonds did ever been arrested??? I can't think of a time.

I can't stand Barry Bonds and am so bored with this home run 'race' he's running.

He's an embarrassment to the Giants hobbling around out there in the field so he can get his at bats.

I believe his steroid and growth hormone use to be far more than he has admitted thus far and also that this use is the reason he is where he is in the books today...not because of his hitting but because of his late resurgence.

He is an awesome hitter and used to be a good fielder as well...he has never been as good as his god father whom is my favorite player of all time. Further, Bonds cemented my dislike of him when he dared wear number 24 with the Giants. Permission or no only a self obsessed clown would do that.

Self obsessed in the media...yeah. The media paints him to be a selfish and tempermental jerk...and some might say unfairly. I have dealt with him in person many times at a former place of employment and he was never anything but a total a-hole.

Anyway...Hall of Fame? I actually don't care. He'll get in most likely but it doesn't really matter.

He's got money and admitted that he did something wrong. When has someone rich and famous who "came clean" even as half heartedly as Bonds did ever been arrested??? I can't think of a time.

Man I should have been a cop.

I don't like the idea of steroids in baseball but if a number of players took roids, then why aren't more people in the 700's? Bonds was a HOF player already, I will never understand why he may have used them.

The steroids didn't make Bonds better...he was always a hitter. The roids made his body last and gave him this late surge is strength and therefore stats. He's right when he says the roids don't make anyone a better hitter in the eye hand coordination aspect. Bonds can practically hit with his eyes closed he's so good. I think Palmeiro was trying to do the same thing.

While I think his use was more than he says I don't think it was as heavy as many in baseball. There were guys who blew up...physically and statisically...only to shrink dramatically once the testing began. Brett Boone is a prime candidate.

^^Even though his HOF bust (did I just say that?!? :lol:) would read "Pittsburgh Pirates" first?

As an unbiased observer, I'd say it's pretty tough. Even if you look past his stats from 2k (steroids) on, he's done a lot as a Giant. His best offensive years (not including 'roids) were his Giant years. Sure, he had the 2 MVPs as a Pirate, but look at his batting average, RBIs, hits, and home runs. All of those seemed to go up from the first year he joined the Giants. He still had a few good years in the stolen bases stat while in San Fransisco.

The 90's were probably Bonds golden years and although I like to see them start around 89-90ish the vast chunk of those years--and the time he became a superstar, not just an all-start, were as a Giant.

In the land of infinite imagery however, Bonds in a Pittsburgh uni will always represent when Baseball was pure and could call itself without a touch of irony: The National Pastime. You could say that about Bonds in '93 and '95 and '97 as a Giant but I think many fans associate the Giant jersey with the roided Bonds. Just MHO.

• 2 years later...

Archived