Steelcase property on the move

mhelm

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should be interesting. I believe it's Kentwood School District on the Steelcase campus, isn't it?

Sorry to get off topic, but this reminds me that there's going to be another MASSIVE land deal/development on the South side of GR. Should be interesting. Could be a lot of jobs, but for a company that's not so widely "loved" on this forum.

Can't give details. Keep your eyes out for the Business Journal next week.

Sorry to get off topic, but this reminds me that there's going to be another MASSIVE land deal/development on the South side of GR. Should be interesting. Could be a lot of jobs, but for a company that's not so widely "loved" on this forum.
Can you give us a hint? Is it a company already in the GR area that is expanding or relocating? Or, a company outside of the area?

A walmart would kill us. I don't know guys this is in my backyard, should I bust out the dusty old signs?

But what if they want to build something no one else has ever done? Like a super DUPER Wal-mart.

I think a lot of people have stated Walmart kills small business. Whether or not that is true... I don't know.

What if that's what it is? A Walmart that does actually kill small business.

It would be a deviant Walmart that made the business' death look like suicide, or even accidental.

:shok:

I think a lot of people have stated Walmart kills small business. Whether or not that is true... I don't know.

I don't know if your serious or not, but for example, take a small town electronics shop. They but DVD players for $66.00 and mark them up $33.00 for a selling price of $99.00. Then walmart builds down the road. Walmart is able to buy comparable DVD players for $33.00 becuase they buy eleventy billion of them at once. They mark up the same amount and sell for the price that mom and pop bought for, $66.00. Suddenly, people think that the cost of DVD players SHOULD be $66.00 and they refuse to pay much more. Mom and pop are forced to sell them at $70 - $75 just to get them off the shelves.

Bye bye mom and pop.

call me out of the loop... but what happened to Steelcase? That place of theirs on Eastern and 44th is HUGE. Are they out of business or something? Did they move? Is someone going to buy that weird looking pyramid building of theirs?

They're still around, and actually are doing pretty well financially now. They had some rough years after going public and with the early 2000's, and have shed about 10,000 jobs in the area. They still own the Pyramid and their corp HQ on 44th. The rest of the manufacturing complex is being sold.

They're still around, and actually are doing pretty well financially now. They had some rough years after going public and with the early 2000's, and have shed about 10,000 jobs in the area. They still own the Pyramid and their corp HQ on 44th. The rest of the manufacturing complex is being sold.

They have newer manufacturing complexes over by the Pyramid. Inbetween 52nd Street & 68th Street but West of the M-37 Beltline.

I don't know if your serious or not, but for example, take a small town electronics shop. They but DVD players for $66.00 and mark them up $33.00 for a selling price of $99.00. Then walmart builds down the road. Walmart is able to buy comparable DVD players for $33.00 becuase they buy eleventy billion of them at once. They mark up the same amount and sell for the price that mom and pop bought for, $66.00. Suddenly, people think that the cost of DVD players SHOULD be $66.00 and they refuse to pay much more. Mom and pop are forced to sell them at $70 - $75 just to get them off the shelves.

Bye bye mom and pop.

And that is how Wal-Mart destroys the world.

And that is how Wal-Mart destroys the world.

:offtopic:

Back to the topic at hand :thumbsup:

Has anyone been able to dig anything up on this developer? I did a google search and looked at their web site. The projects mostly showed manufacturing type buidlings or distribution centers. I know these are the type of areas they purchase and re-do, but in the article they talk about creating residential, retail and smaller businesses. I guess I am kinda invisioning a kind of "little" community for the area. With a retail center and then condos, homes going out from there. There is a railroad that runs cross town to the Northwest from the site. I think it would be awesome to have a community center with retail and someday have a Light Rail or some form of Transit that would shuttle people into downtown :yahoo:

Wishful thinking, but we need to start planning today to make it easier in the future :good:

Guys think about it, If it's something on say, the steelcase land, look at what those facilities are geared for. If it's Walmart, which who really knows. It's not going to be retail, it's going to be distribution. It would be Walmart moving brain capitol, and investment into, argueably the hardest market for them to break into. I mean I guess I could see a supercenter, since they have been trying to build on 44th for a while now. But my money given facilities and proximity would be more geared towards the operations side vs. the retail.

Archived