Steelcase property on the move

mhelm

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Steelcase Property gets approval for Brown Field Status:

"A New York development firm had its application for brownfield status approved by city commissioners last week, and that action makes the proposed project the largest brownfield development ever designated by the city."

That's way off the cuff for Cabelas. I would think that the retailer would laugh and fall off their chairs at that suggestion. Not only is it not visible from the freeway, ( the way the Cabela's demographic and cult like following look for it. The infrastructure there is in no way equipped for the influx of traffic that would come that way.) Aside from that if you look at traditional Cabelas locations, there are hotels other retailers, restaurants all that follow it, and there's not the land needed for that. I guess the arguement could be made, that the existing, residential in the area could be converted. But I hold it's a naive thing for the people of the city to vocalize that Idea.

I don't see it happening. It's too far from the highway for a "tourist attraction". :rofl:

Matt, there is probably enough land there though for ancillary development though, but the extra traffic would just cripple 44th Street, which is already bursting at the seams. I don't see how this development will produce "4000 jobs"??? Weren't the latest proposals retail big box? Each one probably only employs 200 people.

That's way off the cuff for Cabelas. I would think that the retailer would laugh and fall off their chairs at that suggestion. Not only is it not visible from the freeway, ( the way the Cabela's demographic and cult like following look for it. The infrastructure there is in no way equipped for the influx of traffic that would come that way.) Aside from that if you look at traditional Cabelas locations, there are hotels other retailers, restaurants all that follow it, and there's not the land needed for that. I guess the arguement could be made, that the existing, residential in the area could be converted. But I hold it's a naive thing for the people of the city to vocalize that Idea.

I don't see it happening. It's too far from the highway for a "tourist attraction". :rofl:

Matt, there is probably enough land there though for ancillary development though, but the extra traffic would just cripple 44th Street, which is already bursting at the seams. I don't see how this development will produce "4000 jobs"??? Weren't the latest proposals retail big box? Each one probably only employs 200 people.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The first tenant in the old Steelcase campus has signed a lease for an existing 140,000 sf building and 10 acres for possible expansion. :o

The company is Bata Plastics, a plastics recycler and reprocessor, and they are expanding from their current Byron Center location. Their new offices will be designed by Lott3Metz Architecture, (which I assume will be connected to the renovated plant) and will be LEED Certified.

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/Nav/Login.htm?Art...3-04CF46BC6AF6}

• 1 month later...

It's been going on for awhile. I live close to it in the neighborhood just east of the location and there has been loud banging coming from the site for a couple of weeks now. Lots of houses in my neighborhood for sale now also, doesn't look good for when I want to sell next spring :-(

I don't think it is just your neighborhood with For Sale signs. ;) It looks like the whole metro area is up for sale.

It's been going on for awhile. I live close to it in the neighborhood just west of the location and there has been loud banging coming from the site for a couple of weeks now. Lots of houses in my neighborhood for sale now also, doesn't look good for when I want to sell next spring :-(

• 2 months later...

From Rhino's post in the Herman Miller thread.

Former Steelcase site gets 150 jobs

GRAND RAPIDS -- A Minneapolis company that will bring up to 150 new jobs to a former Steelcase Inc. plant chose Grand Rapids because of the available workforce, according to company officials.

"It was based 100 percent on people," said Peter Courtney, chief executive officer of Diversified Distributions Systems, LLC.

Diversified, which distributes packaging supplies for the retail industry, will move into a massive 950,000 square-foot building once used by Steelcase on 40th Street near Eastern Avenue. It will become the family-owned company's largest regional distribution center, Courtney said.

It appears to be this monster here along 40th Street, just North of Steelcase's corporate HQ:

2071956710_ab2ebdb4af_o.jpg

Archived