State Universities in West Tennessee

Clobber

^ Oh I agree. I don't see this happening, I was just being hypothetical if somehow this was to occur. I think developing and growing the existing institutions of the state would be a much more pratical use of resources.

I didn't realize that UTM had facilities in Jackson. There certainly would be no need then for my idea of UM setting up some satellite facility in Jackson. I still think it would be a good investment for the area if UTM were to expand there and perhaps offer some popular 4 yr. degrees like nursing, business, IT, and education.

Jackson has 2 private colleges, Lane and Union, correct? Maybe the state could even take over one of those. That sounds far-fetched, but I believe that the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga was formerly a private school, the U. of Chattanooga. Same thing with Univ. of Cincy and Univ. of Louisville--I believe they were all once private then became public.

Interesting that Union has a branch in Memphis that offers a business degree, maybe even an MBA.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that Union has a branch in Memphis that offers a business degree, maybe even an MBA.

Interesting, but sad, for a metro area like Memphis. Have you seen the advertisements for other colleges here in Memphis? Austin Peay, for example? What does that say about Memphis?

What does that say about Memphis?

That Memphis has a market for higher education larger than the existing supply of education providers? I don't know if that's a bad reflection of Memphis. In fact, that should stimulate more education providers to either emerge here or expand here to meet the demand.

What about Northern Mississippi? Desoto may become the largest county in the state soon so Jackson might want to start thinking about putting a state univeristy there. Ole Miss has a small campus in Desoto I think but other than that, nothing. Aren't Desoto and Crittenden County residents exempt from Out of State tuition at the U of M?

Archived