Uptown Charlotte Outdoor Advertising/Signage

UptownGrrl

Uptown Billboards  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about allowing more outdoor advertising uptown?

• Would add to city's urban character
    • Would look cluttered and distract from feel of uptown
    • Don't care
  2. 2. If okay,

• limit to small print billboards
    • draw the line at large format building wraps
    • all out LED, flashing, blinking, Times Square type signage would be cool

I am all for the large bilboards and giant posters down the side of a building that has a blank wall, but I draw the line at all the neon and what not. Honest to God, when I was in New York for new years, the part of the city I disliked the most was Times Square. I didn't even bother with it on new years either, went down to Soho and Greenwich Village. Anyway, back to the topic at hand, give me a partially nude Calvin Klein model over a blank wall any day.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

I did a search and didnt see a topic on this, but if there is forgive me.

I was wondering about Charlottes signage laws. I dont know the specifics, what exactly are they?

From what I have read scrambled around here that the epi center is getting an exception to allow their signage and now that one wachovia is getting the stock ticker, what possible benifit does it have to make the uptown area have to be so strict and proper looking. I think the more fun and cool signs the better it would be in Uptown and would have more cool and city like atmosephere. Advertising is a good thing in cities, but making it strict like this makes no one want to go up there, the place is pretty dead at night besides the skateboarders and when theres a sports event. Being able to have cool signs would attract new business?

I understand there gets to a point where its obnoxious, but it seems a little uptight

The streets that I think are the coolest are the streets with the signs...5th Street and Trade Street. The Belle's, Latorre's, Graduate, Tilt (or before Liquid), Buckhead, Cutter's, Savannah Red, etc. signs really add to the atmosphere of the street. Also, Tryon between 6th and 5th is gathering a few that just make it seem more lively (Brick and Barrel, Attic, Ri-Ra).

Most of these signs didn't use to be there (for example, Brick and Barrel and Attic just added their signs that stick out perpendicular to the building recently as far as I know).

More signs equals more signs of life on the street.

When I was a kid in the early 70s, there was an ENORMOUS billboard on the northeast corner of the Square. And when I say big, I mean big. It usually sported an ad for WBT. I wonder if that billboard was the inspiriation to rid Uptown of unsightly billboards/signage?

In general, I think signage adds more than it takes away from the streetscape. Most interesting streets in the USA (Broadway, Bourbon, Beale, Sunset, etc.) are covered with signs; the visual variety is part of what makes the city core appealing. But you really do have to be careful, because we all know that businesss will "take a mile" if given an inch. The giant coffee cup on top of the new Dunkin' was fun for a week or two, but it would be unsightly as a year-round fixture.

As far as I can tell, the codes already allow for neon, lightbulbs, hanging signs and other visually-stimulating signs. Part of the problem is that there simply isn't enough retail uptown to generate a large volume of signage in the first place.

When I lived in Jacksonville it was widely regarded as an unattractive city, and huge billboards and signage were always mentioned as major factors.

The signage in Jax was quite simply out of control. On major streets, retailer A would put up a 25 foot sign. The next day his neighbor retailer B put up a 35 foot sign, so the next day retailer C put up a 50 foot sign., etc etc Some signs were so tall that you could see them blocks away, and Jax is a flat city.

A highly publicized campaign for getting it all under control passed, but too much visual rubbish was grandfathered in, and billboards on federal property were left uneffected. When I last visited Jax, it was still a city flooded with hideous signs and billboards.

Perhaps it's good that Charlotte enacted such draconian measures to keep the same thing happening Uptown. But I think signage can be wondferul if done well. Jax went too far allowing signage, and maybe Charlotte went too far limiting it.

• 1 month later...

I think signage just does'nt look right in most cases, I like the clean conservative look.

I'm all for Starbucks, Barnes and Nobles, ETC. signage though, looks classy.

Maybe if Charlotte had a entertainment district, such as Epicentre, I'd be for some Shrek, Best Buy, ETC. signage. {In that area, not through out the whole city}

As far as South Tryon goes, Charlottes developments are perfect! Trump, Wachovia, 300 South Tryon, One Charlotte, ETC.

North Tryon seems to be straying to the market of m,a and pa IE; Epicentre, aparments, ETC.

But what would I know? I'm just a Northerner who can pronounce the word oil right. :P

~Charlotte, the Queen City~

I think signage just does'nt look right in most cases, I like the clean conservative look.

I'm all for Starbucks, Barnes and Nobles, ETC. signage though, looks classy.

Maybe if Charlotte had a entertainment district, such as Epicentre, I'd be for some Shrek, Best Buy, ETC. signage. {In that area, not through out the whole city}

As far as South Tryon goes, Charlottes developments are perfect! Trump, Wachovia, 300 South Tryon, One Charlotte, ETC.

North Tryon seems to be straying to the market of m,a and pa IE; Epicentre, aparments, ETC.

But what would I know? I'm just a Northerner who can pronounce the word oil right. :P

~Charlotte, the Queen City~

I made a thread about this a little while ago... first off no sean may he is no lebron

second, I think more signs that help the city aka advertise for resturants right below the sign or tell the news on a ticket, and other cool lighting signs that dont cast a bad image on the city, like quick loans! we buy houses! kinda stuff is not cool were not a freeway we are a city center

I really hope they don't do a painted mural. Those things get dated fast. I might be happy with a blank pallet where artists can paint murals that stay up for a year and then get painted over by another mural. I would want one of those walls to be the College or 4th Street side of the Omni.

I much prefer those building wrappers.

• 1 month later...

I drove on US74 from the beach this summer, and in one of those towns, maybe Wadesboro, there was a gaudy and blinding LED billboard for a bank in the area. I thought I was going to have a seizure.

I am for interesting outdoor ads in pedestrian areas, but I hope it doesn't open a big loophole for lots of mega-tvs every hundred yard on the freeways in the area.

• 1 month later...
I drove on US74 from the beach this summer, and in one of those towns, maybe Wadesboro, there was a gaudy and blinding LED billboard for a bank in the area. I thought I was going to have a seizure.

I am for interesting outdoor ads in pedestrian areas, but I hope it doesn't open a big loophole for lots of mega-tvs every hundred yard on the freeways in the area.

• 1 year later...

I spent 30 minutes sitting in Jason's Deli at the Epicentre, staring at that horrible blank white wall above the Omni Parking deck entrance on College. That's 30 minutes that someone could have made suggestions to me as to what to buy my wife for Christmas (someone please, HELP ME!).

My point is: that is now a prime place for a captive audience for advertising.

Wasn't there a plan on the table about opening up the College St. wall of the Omni for retail? Did that plan address the 2-4th floors too?

Archived