126 Ottawa NW Makeover

GRDadof3

This building will look a lot better with this makeover. Adding about 23' with a rooftop terrace, and removing the glass wall facade and replacing it with brick. This is where Macatawa Bank and Grand Bank are located I believe. Is this addition for Macatawa? Another question, is this new facade the original?

151486288_a9e9899ff8_o.jpg

Current building condition

151486290_f708c2f46d.jpg

Floorplans

151486292_b7b7f860d2_b.jpg

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us//download...ecb5818547a.pdf

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This building will look a lot better with this makeover. Adding about 23' with a rooftop terrace, and removing the glass wall facade and replacing it with brick. This is where Macatawa Bank and Grand Bank are located I believe. Is this addition for Macatawa? Another question, is this new facade the original?

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us//download...ecb5818547a.pdf

In the late 60's or early 70's Independent Liberty Insurance Company installed the current glass facade. I believe that they peeled the front off the existing building. It has been "upgraded" a few times since.

The addition would be a conference room for RDV Corp. I think they may have recently purchased the building from Peter Cook.

An attempt was made a few years ago to add floors to the building and I believe it was denied. The Trust Building objected because it blocked views from their light well. The Trust Building has changed hands recently too.

RDV's investment in that building is a great sign that they are staying put. That is very good news for Grand rapids.

With the way that glass facade sticks out I wouldn't at all be suprised if the origional one is under there. The Arbaugh building in Lansing had a similar glass facade over it and they peeled it off to reveal the 1906 facade in near perfect condition, minus the brackets that held on the glass.

So this is where Macatawa's current downtown presence is, They are looking into upgrading into new facilities correct? I have been under the impression they were going to build a more visible regional presence downtown. Or have they decided to upgrade facades and remain?

RDV's investment in that building is a great sign that they are staying put. That is very good news for Grand rapids.

Can you clarify this statement for me Civitas? I didn't think that RDV might be thinking about going somewhere else to begin with.

Snoog, RDV, Stands for Richard DeVos.

I should also say, it's not a shock they built facilities owned by the Majic, since the Majic are owned by the family.

Has RDV developed anything that's not family related, in an area other than GR?

So does Macatawa still plan to build on the old Custer site or does this mean they are staying?

For some bizarre reason, I thought the Grand Bank building was designed by SOM. I thought it was brought up when they wanted to build up a few years back.

Joe

With the way that glass facade sticks out I wouldn't at all be suprised if the origional one is under there. The Arbaugh building in Lansing had a similar glass facade over it and they peeled it off to reveal the 1906 facade in near perfect condition, minus the brackets that held on the glass.

Another project was recently done in Wayland. The old United Bank Building had this ugly 70s metal lattice completely covering the 2nd floor and part of the top of the 1st floor. After the city bought the building and moved the city hall into it, they tore off the metal revealing mostly undisturbed brickwork (and many many bird nests), and a stone marquee reading "Wayland City Bank" (original name of United Bank). The building isn't what I would call stunning by any means, but it's a much welcome change from the out-of-place metal that was there before.

Can you clarify this statement for me Civitas? I didn't think that RDV might be thinking about going somewhere else to begin with.

I didn't mean to imply they were leaving, only that this investment implies that they consider downtown Grand Rapids "home". They are obviously a very well funded and sophisticated operation. They could choose to do business anywhere in the world.

So does Macatawa still plan to build on the old Custer site or does this mean they are staying?

For some bizarre reason, I thought the Grand Bank building was designed by SOM. I thought it was brought up when they wanted to build up a few years back.

Joe

I vaguely recall that a famous architect was involved in the glass facade. I was in college at the time and my memory fades....what was I talking about.....

I remember the remodel mostly because I had just purchased my very first SLR camera. It was a Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL. My very first roll of B/W film was shot on Ottawa and some of the photos were of that building. I wish I still had them.

So who actually owns this building? I didn't think that Macatawa did, I just thought they leased the ground flloor. Anyone know?

Ownership is shown as RDV Ottawa LLC.

I don't think this has anything to do with Macatawa's plans, unless RDV plans to expand into the bank's space. They still own the old Custer location at Louis and Ottawa.

If you look at the ground floor plan above, it looks like they are going to add a Terrazo or similar tile floor in the lobby and the hallway that serves the elevator and stairwell.

Ownership is shown as RDV Ottawa LLC.

I don't think this has anything to do with Macatawa's plans, unless RDV plans to expand into the bank's space. They still own the old Custer location at Louis and Ottawa.

If you look at the ground floor plan above, it looks like they are going to add a Terrazo or similar tile floor in the lobby and the hallway that serves the elevator and stairwell.

That lobby was redone just a few years ago. It is very nice (and has some very nice artwork on the walls).

Isn't the Peninsula Club in this space? Or is that next door?

That facade crap really sucked. It was invented by a company out of Niles, Michigan. Although, one positive is when it's removed, the old facade is pretty well preserved.

Wow. This one really blew my mind.

The building proposed for redevelopment was originally a very nice 1950s International Style building, the only one like it downtown. It was a very nice contrast to the Beaux Arts facade of the Peninsula Club and Solon Beman's Michigan Trust building. Then, of course, someone came and crapped it up.

I don't know if SOM did the original building, but I wouldn't be surprised. As I recall, a brokerage was on the first floor.

Wow. This one really blew my mind.

The building proposed for redevelopment was originally a very nice 1950s International Style building, the only one like it downtown. It was a very nice contrast to the Beaux Arts facade of the Peninsula Club and Solon Beman's Michigan Trust building. Then, of course, someone came and crapped it up.

I don't know if SOM did the original building, but I wouldn't be surprised. As I recall, a brokerage was on the first floor.

The building was redesigned by SOM. The ground floor was Ben Muller Realty. The building was owned by Independent Liberty Life Insurance Company. I think they occupied the remainder of the building. There was a ceramic tile mural over the first floor windows, but the tiles feel off and it was removed. There have been a number of cosmetic remodels over the past 30 years.

• 1 month later...

I just found this old postcard looking north on Ottawa from Monroe Center.

In the foreground "Two Choppers" is on the right and "Blake's Turkey" is on the left. The building on the right with the round awning is the old Pen Club at Fountain and Ottawa. The next building is 126 Ottawa before the 1960's SOM facade improvements.

The first 3 floors appear to cantilever over the sidewalk, which is exactly what the current building does. There is a balcony where the 4th floor has access to that roof of the 3rd floor. There is a fire escape from the upper floors to that roof also.

It is interesting that the new design adds a 7th floor that will be stepped back and have a balcony similar to the original building.

181112661_224314919d_o.jpg

151486288_a9e9899ff8_o.jpg

Archived