126 Ottawa NW Makeover

GRDadof3

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still convinced the urns are going to have greenery in them to cover the lights, and I think that will help add some weight to them to balance it out a bit. Also, I think they took the lights off because we kept complaining about it. They'll leave them off until they have the greenery ready. (you guys think we're all talking in a vacuum?)

Either way, I can't see them doing this good of a job on some of the finishing touches without making the lighting "right". I'm sure in the overall scheme of things, an adjustment to uplighting is pretty minor. I give them a 10/10 on this project. While I agree the building could have been re-designed many different ways, I bet the average person will think the thing has been there 100 years (after it has a little grit on it).

Joe

I didn't mean "live" greenery, I was thinking fake greenery. I've definitely seen it before, just not in Grand Rapids. It's the only thing I can think of as to why the architect would place the lights just ABOVE the urns, instead of IN the urns hidden from view. No greenery = poor design.

edit: or maybe the electrician read the plans wrong, and the brick-layers just followed their lead? I've seen mistakes like that all the time on construction jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

That has to be the most imposing ground floor facade of any building downtown. Even moreso than the blank walls of various misguided projects over the years. Having that guy in the photo for scale just shows how massive that stonework is. Note that "imposing" isn't always a bad thing though.

I walked by that place today. I like what I see. One has to be there in person rather than staring at images on a computer montior to really get a feel of this place. As for the base. I think the word "Strength" best describes the first impression of it. With materials becoming visually lighter on the upper floors, the base gives the appearance of firmly anchoring the building to the ground. Overal this renovation had really helped the area immensely.

The new facade is a hundred times better than the old. All the criticism of the "new" old looks irks me anyways. We all walk around marvelling at the old buildings and the ornamentation, and ask ourselves "why don't we build stuff like that any more?" Then someone actually tries to do it, and there is all this criticism about it looking cheap and fake. Is 126 Ottawa perfect? Of course not, but maybe the next building to get a facelift can take a couple lessons from what works and what doesn't. IMHO. ;)

Archived