126 Ottawa NW Makeover

GRDadof3

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From this picture, I somewhat agree they look like they are out there. On the other hand construction is not finished with the building so one could only hope they will be hidden by some scrubs if they plant something in the planters/urns. Depending on what is planted, the lights may need to be that high to serve their purpose of lighting up the building and not what is in the urns. Maybe the little lip over the first floor will sheild them from any pedistrians that are walking by on the sidewalk.

In the original renderings, the urns were not on there. Perhaps they wanted to add the uplighting to make the building more dramatic (and as many of use here have asked to have done on other downtown buildings), and the architect recommended adding the urns with some greenery to help disguise the lights? As Geo mentioned earlier?

I'd say this is a massive difference. The building now works well with its surrondings and makes the whole street frontage look much taller. If more developers were willing to do this kind of quality GR would be the best looking city on the planet.

Uplights!

326365187_80655d098f_b.jpg

326381496_548d8242eb_b.jpg

Just so you all know, I had a nice laugh reading all of the responses since my last post. I do come from a good natured pint of view. Here are a few thoughts.

GRdad, the "hater" dig was well played, that made me laugh the most, 'cause I am hating on those sconces. They really are pathetic. I've also been holding back a lot until the finished product was evident, as it is now.

I actually did like the previous facade that was on the buiding. Sure, it was plain, maybe boring, but it was different from everything else on that block. I know for a fact that the RDV Corp. folks wanted their building to have "character." Sometimes I think there is a lot more character in diversity. I also tend to think that this whole notion of making a building to appear as if it is from bygone days is a bit pretentious.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't hate the look of the new facade. Its very attractive in many regards (those sconces not being one), but I think it's "character" would be a lot more flattering in a different context. It seems to be competing in a sort of building beauty pageant. Who will have the most window surround setbacks? Who will have the most gracefully arching arches? Who will have the most urns? Who will sparkle the most at night with artificial lighting? Furthermore, you've got a building that quite literally looks like its being squeezed out by its two neighbors (the building cantilevers out over the sidewalk by some 4').

Finally, the other thing that made me laugh was the notion that something would be planted in those urns. You're kidding right? First of all, you would have never seen a building in turn-of-the-century Chicago (which is what the "character" of 126 Ottawa was intended to recall) with plants growing on it in that fashion... besides, the air was too polluted anyway. Second of all... they're urns. You don't plant stuff in urns except for the ashes of the cremated dead.

But the building is built and there's nothing I can do but be a critic, and learn from what I observe.

If anything that cantilevered front gives the building some character. That part wasn't added on in recent years as some sort of gimmick.

I agree that a lot of new "old" construction doesn't look nearly as good as real old. It's like a cheap imitation. Maybe the real thing is just too expensive anymore. Or maybe it's just a lost art and nobody can pull it off with any credibility.

This building certainly doesn't look bad, however. And it certainly isn't the worst example of new old. (I'm sure there's a real word for it.) It looks nice. Not every building can be a landmark. It's much better than before.

Just so you all know, I had a nice laugh reading all of the responses since my last post. I do come from a good natured pint of view. Here are a few thoughts.

GRdad, the "hater" dig was well played, that made me laugh the most, 'cause I am hating on those sconces. They really are pathetic. I've also been holding back a lot until the finished product was evident, as it is now.

I actually did like the previous facade that was on the buiding. Sure, it was plain, maybe boring, but it was different from everything else on that block. I know for a fact that the RDV Corp. folks wanted their building to have "character." by some 4').

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like they will accompany a wonderfully carved entablature.

Looks good, although the building seems a bit bottom heavy. They should have put a banding, or small cornice beneath the railings. The dorm I lived in had a similar treatment of railings and capstones on top of the building, but a cornice below the parapet add some balance with the ornamentation below. In the case of this building, it's quite defining, but needs a better termination of the facade at the top.

Overall, I'm pleased with the renovation though.

BTW, here's the example I was talking about

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=46239347&size=l

That's the first time I've seen the aforementioned lights from a pedestrian perspective. They don't look good. They wouldn't be awful but sitting right on top of the urns just somehow doesn't look right.

Those hand-carved limestone bits are something. I can't decide if I like them though. But, much like other ornamentation around the turn of the century I'm sure it shows off how much money they've spent on the building. You're right, there's nothing half-assed about it.

Looks like they will accompany a wonderfully carved entablature.

Looks good, although the building seems a bit bottom heavy. They should have put a banding, or small cornice beneath the railings. The dorm I lived in had a similar treatment of railings and capstones on top of the building, but a cornice below the parapet add some balance with the ornamentation below. In the case of this building, it's quite defining, but needs a better termination of the facade at the top.

Overall, I'm pleased with the renovation though.

BTW, here's the example I was talking about

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=46239347&size=l

I guess the following saying apllies. "You can't satisfy everybody." If a developer decides to build a new(old) building critics say "Its a cheap imitation of a bygone era." But if a developer decides to go cutting edge, the new Devos Children's Hospital for example, crittics will scream "It's ugly and it doesn't fit in." Are there any modern buildings , cutting edge or new(old) looking, that are universally satisfying? I tend to think not. As for this building's renovation, I think when completed it will definatly look alot better than what was there before.

I actually did like the previous facade that was on the buiding. Sure, it was plain, maybe boring, but it was different from everything else on that block. I know for a fact that the RDV Corp. folks wanted their building to have "character." Sometimes I think there is a lot more character in diversity. I also tend to think that this whole notion of making a building to appear as if it is from bygone days is a bit pretentious.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't hate the look of the new facade. Its very attractive in many regards (those sconces not being one), but I think it's "character" would be a lot more flattering in a different context. It seems to be competing in a sort of building beauty pageant. Who will have the most window surround setbacks? Who will have the most gracefully arching arches? Who will have the most urns? Who will sparkle the most at night with artificial lighting? Furthermore, you've got a building that quite literally looks like its being squeezed out by its two neighbors (the building cantilevers out over the sidewalk by some 4').

Finally, the other thing that made me laugh was the notion that something would be planted in those urns. You're kidding right? First of all, you would have never seen a building in turn-of-the-century Chicago (which is what the "character" of 126 Ottawa was intended to recall) with plants growing on it in that fashion... besides, the air was too polluted anyway. Second of all... they're urns. You don't plant stuff in urns except for the ashes of the cremated dead.

But the building is built and there's nothing I can do but be a critic, and learn from what I observe.

I guess the following saying apllies. "You can't satisfy everybody." If a developer decides to build a new(old) building critics say "Its a cheap imitation of a bygone era." But if a developer decides to go cutting edge, the new Devos Children's Hospital for example, crittics will scream "It's ugly and it doesn't fit in." Are there any modern buildings , cutting edge or new(old) looking, that are universally satisfying? I tend to think not. As for this building's renovation, I think when completed it will definatly look alot better than what was there before.

I'm still convinced the urns are going to have greenery in them to cover the lights, and I think that will help add some weight to them to balance it out a bit. Also, I think they took the lights off because we kept complaining about it. They'll leave them off until they have the greenery ready. (you guys think we're all talking in a vacuum?)

I'm still convinced the urns are going to have greenery in them to cover the lights, and I think that will help add some weight to them to balance it out a bit. Also, I think they took the lights off because we kept complaining about it. They'll leave them off until they have the greenery ready. (you guys think we're all talking in a vacuum?)

Archived