New Orleans to host 2008 NBA All-Star Game

NCB

New Orleans to host 2008 NBA All-Star Game

Article from ESPN.com

Well, a deal that has been in the works for months now was finalized today. The NBA has officially awarded the 2008 NBA All-Star game to the city of New Orleans. This will give the city a major economic boost, from tourism, to national exposure, and to businesses all over the city. The game is expected to bring as much as 100 million dollars to the city in 2008. Fantastic news! :yahoo:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's GREAT NEWS ! Does that mean the Hornets chances staying in NOLA have greatly increased ? George Shinn and his past comments with Oklahoma City + his disgust with the slow recovery efforts of many NOLA neighborhoods have had some cause for concern.

That's GREAT NEWS! Does that mean the Hornets chances staying in NOLA have greatly increased?

You would think so, but the NBA hasn't officially said anything. But one New Orleans sports official,(the name escapes me) said today that, you would think the NBA wasn't going to give a city who's team is leaving an All-Star Game. And I would hope that's the case. But it's still tough to say, as a city without an NBA team can still host an All-Star Game, as is the case with Las Vegas hosting the game next year.

This is awesome news! More convention/hotel revenues for the city, though I wish they could find a name more representative of the city than the hornets (i wish the "jazz" weren't in Utah 'cause that really is fitting.)...maybe the N.O. Quarters. (Just a thought...any other suggestions?)

I had a good idea I wanted to submit to the NBA about the "name" changes ? A trade between New Orleans and Utah. Since Utah is known as the "Beehive State" , it only makes good sense for them a to become the Utah Hornets. And give the Jazz back to it's rightful owner New Orleans. Didn't they move to Utah in 79'or 80' ? That's around the time Hall of Famers Stockton & "mailman" Malone arrived on the scene. Well they have retired, so it's really never been the same great team since. How many Jazz clubs are in Salt Lake City anyway ?

VOTE > YES FOR NAME CHANGE > NEW ORLEANS JAZZ !!!

Maybe the Orlando Magic can move to OKC ? But KC wants an NBA

back, so it would be a battle !

This is awesome news! More convention/hotel revenues for the city, though I wish they could find a name more representative of the city than the hornets (i wish the "jazz" weren't in Utah 'cause that really is fitting.)...maybe the N.O. Quarters. (Just a thought...any other suggestions?)

Well just in case you didn't know, the Jazz used to be in New Orleans from 1974-79. They were an expansion team givin to New Orleans by the NBA, and they played in the Superdome. But they lacked fan support, and after 5 years in New Orleans moved to Salt Lake City.

I like the quote from the opening scene of the movie BASKetball: "The Jazz moved from New Orleans to Utah, where music isn't even allowed." ;)

And here is some even more good news. The New Orleans Voodoo are working with the AFL, and there is a good chance that New Orleans could host the 2007 Arena Bowl, or if that doesn't work out, the 2008 Arena Bowl.

• 8 months later...

Yeah no kidding... we can handle a crowd of about 1 million for Mardi Gras without a hitch, but this guy is worried about us handling an NBA Allstar Game? Gimme a break. New Orleans can handle the NBA Allstar game with two hands tied behind our backs better than any city in this country. NO CITY handles big time events better than New Orleans. I, as a New Orleanian, laugh at this challenge.

Im in Houston right now visiting family members so, I turn on the news and guess what I see , I see Tracey Macgrady saying that this game should'nt be held in New Orleans because, it's "UNSAFE" he thinks that the city can't handle the NBA Allstar game saying"I don't think my family would be safe . Oh , if you haven't heard shaq has his doubts too. Some ignorant people just mess it up for everyone. How do you guys feel about this?

Oh I've heard about what some of the players are saying. It's just pure ignorance spewing everywhere. "I haven't been to the city since Katrina, or actually talked to anyone there, or actually looked up some information on the subject, but CNN said it was dangerous so I'm scared for my life."

And Shaq said something along the lines of "based on the Spike Lee special, I don't think New Orleans is ready." Well thanks for that informative statement, Shaq, but hey, did you realize that all of the scenes in Spike Lee's film were shot directly after Katrina, and not yesterday? That's right, New Orleans isn't still underwater! :rolleyes:

At times it seems like New Orleans' biggest challenge is countering the ignorance of many people across the country, and this is one of those times, and it seems like those "many people" are the NBA players themselves. They admit to knowing nothing about this city and it's current state, but then go on to make comments about it. :dontknow:

A great article written by the Times-Picayune's John DeShazier about the absolutely moronic comments made by Billy Hunter, the head of the NBA Players Association.

Comments are a personal foul

Article

"I'm wondering, how will New Orleans accommodate all these people if they elect to come to New Orleans?" Hunter said to a columnist at Newsday.

We're wondering if Mr. Hunter ever has heard of Mardi Gras, a little occasion during which a few hundred thousand people converge on the Crescent City.

Or if he knows anything about the Sugar Bowl, a little football game for which 70,000 people gather in the Superdome -- and a few others, who don't attend the game, spill over into the streets and bars of the French Quarter.

Or if he checked with the organizers who chose -- chose -- New Orleans as the site of the conventions that have been hosted in the city post-Katrina.

Archived