Possible new streetscape of 8th & Lafayette

smeagolsfree

An article this morning in the City Paper talks about a new $500,000 grant for a street scape of the 8th Ave South area and Lafayette. This is the area that is around the downtown Mission.

This could be great news for development in the area. It could be the tie needed to bring the Gulch and Sobro together.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...s&news_id=49982

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A question relavent to this topic -- anyone know what's happening at the corner of 5th Ave S. and Lafayette? The cool yellow brick warehouse that once stood there has been leveled. Hopefully it won't be replaced by a used car lot or strip club.

Question from an out of towner: isn't this area simply part of SoBro? Or is there another neighborhood name that may be changed to "the LaFayette Neighborhood?" While they are doing cosmetic, marketing changes, maybe the city can come up with a more catchy name along with the streetscape in order to attract interest. It just seems that there could be a more creative name. But I applaud the efforts!

I thought this was where the Gateway was supposed to intersect with 8th and LaFayette in a roundabout. Am I right? If so, then what happened to those plans? I know that the stretch of GW between 4th and 8th has been delayed, but it hasn't been canceled has it?

I thought this was where the Gateway was supposed to intersect with 8th and LaFayette in a roundabout. Am I right? If so, then what happened to those plans? I know that the stretch of GW between 4th and 8th has been delayed, but it hasn't been canceled has it?

Those plans haven't changed, but they aren't funded yet either. Also, at this point the completion of Gateway to 8th Ave has many factors in play including the potential/proposed CC location, current right-of-way owners/developers, etc.

A question relavent to this topic -- anyone know what's happening at the corner of 5th Ave S. and Lafayette? The cool yellow brick warehouse that once stood there has been leveled. Hopefully it won't be replaced by a used car lot or strip club.

I told William about that building Sunday on our drive. It came down a few days before the buildings for the Encore came down. If my memory serves right, that was the former !st Amendment Adult Bookstore. I do know it was declared a public nuisance and no other adult oriented business could go in there.

I think I remember when I was a kid in the early 80s, Dad was driving up to St. Louis in his new Volvo and something quirky happened. He needed to take it to the closest dealer and it was somewhere around there. If I'm not just dreaming?

I told William about that building Sunday on our drive. It came down a few days before the buildings for the Encore came down. If my memory serves right, that was the former !st Amendment Adult Bookstore. I do know it was declared a public nuisance and no other adult oriented business could go in there.

I thought it was a cool buliding, tho. It had character and addressed all surrounding streets.

Maybe it's just me, but Lafayette sounds SO generic. Lafayette District could be so many places; Washington DC, New Orleans, Savannah, etc. Why don't we find something more unique before we dub it. Suggestions?

The moniker "Lafayette Neighborhood" was chosen by the Civic Design Center, obviously named for the short stretch of road from the Murfreesboro Pike transition to 8th Ave S. I'm guessing the name Lafayette has some significant historical importance to Nashville, but I don't know what it is. I vote for keeping the name for its historical importance [whatever that is] rather than choosing something because it sounds better.

The moniker "Lafayette Neighborhood" was chosen by the Civic Design Center, obviously named for the short stretch of road from the Murfreesboro Pike transition to 8th Ave S. I'm guessing the name Lafayette has some significant historical importance to Nashville, but I don't know what it is. I vote for keeping the name for its historical importance [whatever that is] rather than choosing something because it sounds better.

Lafayette was a French Revolutionary war heroe. Gulch, SoBro, West End, etc. Seems we can do better than Lafayette Neighborhood.

Archived