Raleigh's 2030 Comprehensive Plan & new zoning code

ChiefJoJo

I was looking on the City's Planning Dept website, and saw they've updated the comp plan page to include a pre-selection meeting presentaion--not much, but a lot of background and maps showing growth trends, DT development, and the city's goals...

• 2500 new DT residential units by 2010

• 800k sf DT office space "in the pipeline"

• 20k acres left in ETJ

• desire to use new plan to direct rezonings

• urban deisgn as a citywide strategy

• planning for environmental sustainablity, reduce VMT (transit!), new infill

I really like everything I see here, and I hope that the next planning commissioners/councilors actually vote to follow the plan. Honestly, I think a totally new comp plan is WAY overdue, as a strong new blueprint will strengthen the arguments of good urban planners and keyboard know-it-alls like us.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking on the City's Planning Dept website, and saw they've updated the comp plan page to include a pre-selection meeting presentaion--not much, but a lot of background and maps showing growth trends, DT development, and the city's goals...
  • 2500 new DT residential units by 2010

• 800k sf DT office space "in the pipeline"

• 20k acres left in ETJ

• desire to use new plan to direct rezonings

• urban deisgn as a citywide strategy

• planning for environmental sustainablity, reduce VMT (transit!), new infill

I really like everything I see here, and I hope that the next planning commissioners/councilors actually vote to follow the plan. Honestly, I think a totally new comp plan is WAY overdue, as a strong new blueprint will strengthen the arguments of good urban planners and keyboard know-it-alls like us.

I used to think that North Raleigh,(everything north of I-440), was very suburban and a nightmare problem. Now we have the I-540 interstate, fortunately we are doing more infill in the old North Raleigh area. But, it sure is ashamed that we couldn't have started that area with more of a mixed use philosophy. I guess that the area north of I-540 is the new North Raleigh? Are we just starting the same process over again? It seems that because of Falls Lake, we have hit an impasse on one side and now we will start on the west and east sides? When will it end? Yes, we can keep growing in all directions,(just like a river looking for an outlet), but shouldn

Seems that the city as of late has been trying to do more to densify existing areas with infill and mixed use developments like North Hills, and Seaboard Station.

Speaking of which in todays 2/16/07 N & O the area around Triangle Towne Center where the Plantation Inn used to be is up to be rezoned for Residential with 600 apartments (I'm thinking likely to be in a multi story condo-like format) to go in right beside the new Plantation Pointe Shopping Center, with walkable paths directly to the new BJ's, Circuit City, On the Border, Mimi's Cafe etc. This way they are making the most of land which was already in the city limits and not having to cut down anymore trees etc. Also just across the street on the other side of Capital Blvd I just got a direct response from Hilton Hotels and the new NE Raleigh 5 story Hilton Garden Hotel is to open in April of 2008. This area is targeted for dense office/residential and retail.

I say kudos to the city for trying to get a grasp on the sprawl situation while there's still time.

Now if only that commuter rail would get on the ground.

Seems that the city as of late has been trying to do more to densify existing areas with infill and mixed use developments like North Hills, and Seaboard Station.

Speaking of which in todays 2/16/07 N & O the area around Triangle Towne Center where the Plantation Inn used to be is up to be rezoned for Residential with 600 apartments (I'm thinking likely to be in a multi story condo-like format) to go in right beside the new Plantation Pointe Shopping Center, with walkable paths directly to the new BJ's, Circuit City, On the Border, Mimi's Cafe etc. This way they are making the most of land which was already in the city limits and not having to cut down anymore trees etc. Also just across the street on the other side of Capital Blvd I just got a direct response from Hilton Hotels and the new NE Raleigh 5 story Hilton Garden Hotel is to open in April of 2008. This area is targeted for dense office/residential and retail.

I say kudos to the city for trying to get a grasp on the sprawl situation while there's still time.

Now if only that commuter rail would get on the ground.

That area is just a few miles north of Downtown. And with the RBC and the other banks and corporate types i.e. Progress Energy it really isn't a bad choice. Plus it's on U.S. 1 and Just off the Beltline.

Hmm. I wonder if Raleigh will ever get a building with it's own Heliport on the top off a building downtown like in the movies. :P

• 1 month later...

I am not sure about this, but I think the midrise building across the street from the old North Hills Mall which used to look completely different (white exterior) had a helicoptor landing pad on the roof. I think the building now is the BTI building?

In the 80's... does anyone remember this? I could be mistaken.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Another update on the Raleigh Comp Plan:

The update of the Raleigh Comprehensive Plan will officially begin with a Kick-off Celebration on Thursday, October 25th. Please plan on attending the kick-off celebration and at least one of the first set of public visioning workshops.

What: Kick-off Celebration

Where: Progress Energy Center for the Performing Arts-Art Gallery

When: 7:00 to 9:00 PM, Thursday, October 25th, 2007

There will be short presentations made and background information available. This is a chance to meet and talk with the City Council, the Raleigh City Planning Commissioners , City Planning Staff, the project consultants, and the members of other City boards and commissions.

What: Public Visioning Workshop

Where: Long View Center, 118 South Person Street

When: 7:00 to 9:00 PM, Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Where: NCSU McKimmon Conference and Training Center, 1101 Gorman Street

When: 7:00 to 9:00 PM, Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Where: To be announced, check back later for additional information.

When: 7:00 to 9:00 PM, Thursday, November 15, 2007

• 1 month later...

According to WRAL, there's been updated locations & times for the workshops:

November 13: Good Shepherd Episcopal Church, Hillsborough Street, 6:30-9pm

November 14: NCSU McKimmon Center, Gorman Street, 6:30-9pm

November 15: North Raleigh Church of Christ, Falls of Neuse Road, 6:30-9pm

I went last night and enjoyed it. I kind of wish they talked a bit more or took a few more questions, but it was fun irregardless - a good intro. I'm new to this whole urban planning meeting thing and apparently I'm noticing probably the youngest person at them, lol. I was there pimping out my NCSU hat again. I did talk my roommate and two of our friends into coming to this one.

Quite a few people that attended the Raleigh City Museum tour were there, including Kris Larson. I wanted to talk to him but he was swarmed with people.

Theres a really cool Indy article on the new comp plan, and how it could help reshape Raleigh in the future. This ties in with transit and the STAC, but I really like the trolley service along New Bern and Hillsborough St to compliment the more regional-tier DMU/comm rail system. It's got to address development in a more strategic--not ad hoc--way, and we must address growth management somehow, and implement processes that allow strategies to be measured against our goals for a more sustainable future.

Other issues the plan will address, he says:

"Predictability" should replace the old "flexibility" when it comes to development issues;

Teardowns, infill standards and transition zones between established neighborhoods and urban development locations;

"Equity" for lesser-income folks in redeveloping areas; transit helps, but affordable-housing options are needed too;

Public investments-a closer tie is needed between the city's capital improvement plan (CIP) and its land-use planning; to date, developers have driven land use and city investments followed;

Which way(s) should downtown grow? Raleigh's current downtown is small-but with transit-oriented development, there are a lot of ways to extend it.

Here are the Comp Plan workshops:

• Nov. 13, at The Church of the Good Shepherd, 125 Hillsborough St., 6 to 9 p.m.

• Nov. 14, at NCSU's McKimmon Conference Center, 1101 Gorman St., 6 to 9 p.m.

• Nov. 15, at North Raleigh Church of Christ, 8701 Falls of Neuse Road., 6 to 9 p.m.

I'll probably be attending the Nov 13th one downtown FYI.

I was there. I love planning, but a 90-minute lecture on form-based codes was a real stretch for me. -_- Anyway, the general concept is to write codes that will make it easier to produce what the people envision via the comp plan.

I expect that this plan will be big on visuals, as that's probably the easiest way to translate a plan to the average Joe. I say utilize those visual renderings as much as possible to flow seamlessly into form-based codes as much as possible. Although the topic is dry, the speaker made an astute point about why developers and citizens so often don't see eye to eye, especially when it comes to density... he said that most citizens don't fear density, they just want to know what to expect and that is will be of good quality. He said often in the charrette process, there's a eureka moment where developers and citizens begin to actually align on some goals, instead of see one another as adversaries.

What I took from Mitch Silver's comments would be that we will still have conventional codes, probably in most areas of Raleigh (particularly the stable SF neighborhoods), but that in select areas, we can use form-based codes to target and promote urban form.

I think if this comp plan yields strong codes that produce the kind of developments that we want to see in the places we want to see them, then it will be judged a success.

Archived