• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

151270440_7c0503dc43_o.jpg

151270442_5001dac42c_o.jpg

151270444_6840cfcf54_o.jpg

More later.

Any news on what the cause was?

From what I heard, it was a grease fire that quickly got out of control. The fire seems to be contained, but it moved into the walls of the buildings which is making it difficult to fully extinguish. They should be pouring water on it most of the rest of the day.

If this is a total loss couldn't they at least save the facade of the downcity diner building or does it now pose too high of a risk of collapsing? The building with that shady alley bar wouldn't be much of a loss, if they could build something attached to the old shell...

If this is a total loss couldn't they at least save the facade of the downcity diner building or does it now pose too high of a risk of collapsing? The building with that shady alley bar wouldn't be much of a loss, if they could build something attached to the old shell...

Concern now of course is putting out and containing the fire. The fire department doesn't worry about the future of the building. I'm sure if it can be saved it will be.

The floors inside the building have collapsed and the building is considered to be a total loss. I believe it was condemned as of noon.

Thats pretty sad. And all because of a brisket...

I guess the building wasn't sprinklered. too bad how a small fire can take out a historic building like this. I've been yapping about fire codes for months now, but they definitely put them in place for a reason.

I guess the building wasn't sprinklered. too bad how a small fire can take out a historic building like this. I've been yapping about fire codes for months now, but they definitely put them in place for a reason.

I just got back from there. I was standing next to one of the employees (owners?) of Downcity. They said that their supression system put the fire out and the FD gave it the ok. They were doing a final walk around when flames started shooting out of the building. I guess when the greasefire happened it had somehow slipped into the walls.

The restaurant where I worked years ago had special sprinklers installed directly over the grill to extinguish potential grease fires. I assumed they were mandatory in all kitchens. I think the spinklers sprayed foam or CO2 instead of water.

As sad as it is to see a historic building go, I've spent considerable time poking around the Safari and the upper floors of the Downcity Diner building and they were in rough shape to say the least. Safari already had considerable fire damage on the top floor from a previous conflagration. It was difficult to imagine rehabbing them, even with historic tax credits. Best case scenario, this allows for a great piece of infill to go up on that site.

Ever the optimist,

Ari

Ever the optimist

Hopefully the displaced businesses can fill some other gaps in the Downcity retail while this site is rebuilt. I heard the wall callapsed into American Apparel so their homeless. The owners of Downcity said at noon they wanted to re-open as soon as possible, I'm assuming they knew by then that the building was lost.

Hearing the woman from the dance studio on the news was sad. They had all manner of props and costumes and such which of course are all gone.

Hopefully the displaced businesses can fill some other gaps in the Downcity retail while this site is rebuilt. I heard the wall callapsed into American Apparel so their homeless. The owners of Downcity said at noon they wanted to re-open as soon as possible, I'm assuming they knew by then that the building was lost.

Hearing the woman from the dance studio on the news was sad. They had all manner of props and costumes and such which of course are all gone.

Joe who owned Evolution also Owns University Tattoo, so he's going to be able to reopen there to some capacity almost immediately, which is good. His financial loss is going to be very severe.

RISD students had just moved back a day or so ago into the CIT building (next door to American Apparel) after the mercury was found and for the building to be de-contaminated. Now theyre out again today and maybe longer.

I walked by within the last hour and smoke is pouring out more now than around lunch time particularly by the Quizno's alley.

Archived