Weybosset Fire

AriPVD

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As sad as it is to see a historic building go, I've spent considerable time poking around the Safari and the upper floors of the Downcity Diner building and they were in rough shape to say the least...

Best case scenario, this allows for a great piece of infill to go up on that site.

I have to say I've never particularly liked that building or how its business' facades interacted (or didn't interact) with the streetscape.

While certainly a tragedy for everyone involved, I'm very optimistic that a new (taller) building with a better streetscape relationship will result.

- Garris

I posted this photo before as a possible location for a Mac store that was not in the mall, but now it is a sad obituary to the building at 151 Weybosett, which housed Downcity Restaurant and Evolution Body Piercing up until yesterday, and earlier was the home to the Safari Lounge.

It was a Thomas Tefft design, built in 1847-9, first used by the Second Universalist Church, and later used by an early incarnation of RIC. Thomas Tefft is a well known local architect who designed other buildings such as the first Union Station (now gone), Blue Ribbon Beef (now gone), the original State House on Benefit Street and the church on Benefit Street that is now a RISD student center.

RIP a great example of pre-Industrial Revolution Architecture... what will replace it? Knowing Paolino, the owner, maybe a parking lot?

macstore.jpg

Update:

I was told we stand a good chance that they are also going to take down the American Apparel building becasue the two buildings are connected and when one comes down the damage will be extreme to the one still standing.

I posted this photo before as a possible location for a Mac store that was not in the mall, but now it is a sad obituary to the building at 151 Weybosett, which housed Downcity Restaurant and Evolution Body Piercing up until yesterday, and earlier was the home to the Safari Lounge.

maybe they could build one of those apple stores like the new one in new york? :D

omg the fire reached that far?!

From what I heard, the wall between the piercing shop and American Apparel partially collapsed. The basements of the RISD buildings flooded, and at least the Mason Building (RISD next to American Apparel) filled with heavy smoke.

Wait, so this damaged all the buildings up to Union St?

No fire actually got into the RISD buildings (Mason and Fletcher) but Mason suffered from heavy smoke, and flooding the basement due to the large amount of water the fire department has put on the fire. The RISD buildings are structurally fine, if a little worse for wear. Both are closed until further notice per the fire department. Currently electicity is out on the whole block. I don't think demolition of the American Apparel location will have any adverse effect on the Mason Building.

I hope that American Apparel can find a new home soon if their building really needs to come down. Hopefully they don't just give up and decide to take one of the spots in the mall.

Any chance we will see DownCity go into the Peerless? I can't imagine they will want to wait for new construction to re-open.

I hope that American Apparel can find a new home soon if their building really needs to come down. Hopefully they don't just give up and decide to take one of the spots in the mall.

Any chance we will see DownCity go into the Peerless? I can't imagine they will want to wait for new construction to re-open.

those pics make it look like the american apparel building isn't going anywhere.

is the peerless already set up to have a restaurant on the first floor? If not, i'm not sure its that easy to move in there. The fire codes for first floor restaurant with upper floor residential are pretty tough, and expensive to meet.

is the peerless already set up to have a restaurant on the first floor? If not, i'm not sure its that easy to move in there. The fire codes for first floor restaurant with upper floor residential are pretty tough, and expensive to meet.

I thought when I did my tour over there they were talking about a ground floor restaurant, so I figured the infrastructure was there.

The two buildings connect using a shared main wall. Its more messy then the picture shows. Taking down one really hurts the other building.

those pics make it look like the american apparel building isn't going anywhere.

Archived