Westin on Lower Broad

QuietMike

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did you hear about the height? How serious is this proposal? My only reaction is "Does this have to go on lower Broadway?" I mean there is such a great mix of buildings there and they're on a great smaller scale which IMO gives a break in the height on both sides.

The article mentions that it's to be located between 2nd and 3rd on the south side of Broadway, where Trail West, Kelly's Western Wear, Decades night club, and a small surface lot are located. The Richards & Richards document storage building behind the Broadway buildings would also have to be demolished, but Joe's Crab Shack and 2 smaller buildings on 3rd would not be removed. The property is reported to be under contract and they're presenting to MDHA in June.

Primary use will be hotel, with some residential a possibility. A high end restaurant and meeting and ballroom space will also be included.

The preliminary plans are intended to keep the Broadway look (if not the existing facades themselves) at 42 feet high on the street. The hotel tower will start 90 feet back from the street.

The people involved are the Barber Group from Springdale, Arkansas, and Sage Hospitality Resources from Denver.

Thanks for the info, Mike.

I'm still afraid that this will start a trend. Quick, somebody go to LoBro and take lots of pics so we can remember it as it "was". Remember what Planet Hollywood did to their building? Yikes! Even the Hard Rock was too destructive. Now the honky tonk stuff is what I like about Lower Broad. Let me tell any of you guys who don't realize this... but that is a unique part of Nashville.

Also, if this proposal is for real, then that presents a whole host of other questions that fortunately I don't have to find answers to.

1. How reputable is this developer? I would think Westin wouldn't fool around with them if they were inexperienced or planning to put up something that wasn't upper end. Cheesy doesn't cut it in DT anymore. (While we're on the topic, I consider the Hilton Suites to be cheesy). After all, we're not talking about Hampton Inn here.

2. How many floors? Rooms?

3. What happens to this hotel if the new CC goes somewhere other than SoBro?

4. What will this hotel's effect be on the other rumored hotels? Some of them were rumored to be quite large.

Of course, I don't expect anyone here to have the answers, but I fail to see that this hotel would be considered a "HQ" hotel for the CC.

This sounds like nothing but a huge boost. There's not much significant in the existing group of buildlings on this block. Of course, the facades have been covered for so long, I sure hope they take a close look at what's under the siding. I think this will be a great complement to all the development nearby.

A Westin...huh...on Lower Broadway? ...wow, it just never stops, does it?

I'm not seeing a HQ hotel here, but more along the line of a boutique type...but I just don't know anything about this, just saw it here.

I'll head downtown after work, I hadn't really thought about what's under the siding at Trail West in a while. Might be a good time to look closer. Might be time for a little creativity and little developer sensitivity...and a BUNCH of letters to Westin if they even think about destroying something good. Like I said, I'm gonna look tonight.

A Westin...huh...on Lower Broadway? ...wow, it just never stops, does it?

Dave, when you put it that way, it does seem incredible. I hope we can see the plans soon.

One more thing about the other rumored hotels...

All I can say is those other guys better get off their duffs if they want to be players.

This sounds like nothing but a huge boost. There's not much significant in the existing group of buildlings on this block. Of course, the facades have been covered for so long, I sure hope they take a close look at what's under the siding. I think this will be a great complement to all the development nearby.

I'll head downtown after work, I hadn't really thought about what's under the siding at Trail West in a while. Might be a good time to look closer. Might be time for a little creativity and little developer sensitivity...and a BUNCH of letters to Westin if they even think about destroying something good. Like I said, I'm gonna look tonight.

This block is right outside my window and it doesn't look like much right now. In fact, of all of the LoBro blocks that I can think of, this one's probably the worst. That doesn't necessarily mean we need to tear it all down, but even the Nascar Cafe facade is better looking in my opinion. I suppose there could be something beautiful under all of that siding (a hidden Hugh Cathcart Thompson design being preserved for the ages, perhaps?), but I'd be surprised.

I'll trust your opinion on that segment. I don't remember it distinctly but I do remember the Nas-whore Cafe and it was typically tacky.

I'm just concerned that this might start a trend along both sides of LoBro. Am I the first person to call it that? LOL

Am I the only one with questions here... maybe I'm just a bit exercised over somebody threatening LoBro. I don't know a thing about either of these company's (thanks for the links NB).

Anyway, more ?'s:

1. Is there a design overlay for this stretch of town?

2. Do any height restrictions apply to LoBro? In my gut, I think that this would be the perfect location for such restrictions.

3. How serious is this proposal?

4. How much power would MDHA or Metro Zoning have to torpedo this?

Just asking these questions in case my fears are proven justified.

I am not very concerned yet. Not enough info. I agree that 220' on lobro (nice) will not work but I can see it 100'-150' off the street. But oversight is a reasonable expectation as this area is unique to nashville.

Am I the only one with questions here... maybe I'm just a bit exercised over somebody threatening LoBro. I don't know a thing about either of these company's (thanks for the links NB).

Anyway, more ?'s:

1. Is there a design overlay for this stretch of town?

2. Do any height restrictions apply to LoBro? In my gut, I think that this would be the perfect location for such restrictions.

3. How serious is this proposal?

4. How much power would MDHA or Metro Zoning have to torpedo this?

Just asking these questions in case my fears are proven justified.

My understanding from the article is that this project is still very early in the development process. They don't have financing, they haven't started the approval process, and they don't have a finalized plan about how many rooms and that kind of thing.

By the way, this block is in a redevelopment district with certain design guidelines and protection of the historic character of LoBro (Thanks for the term, ATL!) was the first thing mentioned by the developer, the MDHA representative, and Michael Hayes (who was quoted, along with Tony G and Tom Turner).

I think lots of people will have lots of questions.

That's a relief to hear. I appreciate the reply.

I'll just say this for emphasis (at risk of sounding repetitive).

That area of DT is a treasure. There are very few cities in the country that have anything like it... and lots of cities would love to have its authenticity. Glad to hear I'm not alone.

I for one am not in favor of the location. I think that end of Lobro needs to keep the older buildings that make Broadway what it is. Now if they want to tear the facades that are there now and restore them to the original look then thats great, but to tear down the building s in that area would be a crime. We dont need to loose anymore of our older buildings downtown.

As for the proposal, I will believe it when I see it. I dont think there will be anymore hotel proposals downtown until the issue of the CC is decided. Its all speculation at this point on the part of the developers. I really think they would be in for a fight if they try to put a hotel at that site.

Yeah! We're getting rid of junk!

Yes, the idea of a "honky-tonks" are great, but the whole Lower Broad area is nasty, filled with trashy tourists and third-rate t-shirt shops.

I'd love for the area to be cleaned up (think: building restoration and the like) but I don't think such an undertaking will ever materialize. I'm glad to see that this area is on its way to something better than what it's become--hell, Lower Broad is like a trashier, "red-neckier" version of Pigeon Forge. (Thank god, there's not a Jacuzi every fifty feet!)

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. I wanted to put this up earlier but subscribers obviously like to read first. One thing I didn't mention in the story, and I could have quote tons of people, is that the office project proposed just on the other side of the Shelby Street bridge apparently wants 265 feet while Encore was limited to 240 I think. I'm not sure of the Hilton's height. Also, Hilton owner isn't displeased with the Westin notion. It's running near full occupancy and rates have been doing better than ever at that hotel. Bring em on is the attitude.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2006/5/2..._lower_broadway

Yeah! We're getting rid of junk!

Yes, the idea of a "honky-tonks" are great, but the whole Lower Broad area is nasty, filled with trashy tourists and third-rate t-shirt shops.

I'd love for the area to be cleaned up (think: building restoration and the like) but I don't think such an undertaking will ever materialize. I'm glad to see that this area is on its way to something better than what it's become--hell, Lower Broad is like a trashier, "red-neckier" version of Pigeon Forge. (Thank god, there's not a Jacuzi every fifty feet!)

Some of it may look like junk, but the rednecks and the tourist are what keep a lot of business downtown. That is what gives Nashville some of the small city feel to it. Its redneck charm can be very useful. I think you will find a lot of people that will be against this. That is what people come to see when they are in Nashville and then they find out there is a lot more to it.

Thanks for posting Richard.

Read like a great project if developed with sensitivities to the lobro culture.

I am suprised that the other hotel properties are not organizing against some of these projects they are nortorious for crying wold when new competition arrives, :)

Personally, I'm a bit miffed at the calling of these downtown visitors rednecks. On your last trips downtown anytime in the past few years, have you actually OPENED your eyes to see who these people are? Probably not, if that's the impression you get. Look at them. Know who they are. Maybe twenty years ago that was the case, but if you haven't noticed time has moved on and we're getting a lot of visitors, both domestic and foreign who are here to enjoy the ambience and uniqueness of what we offer. You should slap yourself for insulting the very people who are traveling here and making us the unique destination we are.

I'm not going to even begin to describe the scenes I see everyday on Broadway, but it doesn't resemble anything you've described. Where do you get this idea, anyway? Yes, you are a snob. Get your head out of your butt and get down there and take a long, hard look at what's there and the people spending their money on this variety. If you see some oddities, more power to us for having character as a city shlould. Does all this embarrass you? If so, why would it. You should embrace it like the Golden Goose it is. Or stay in Green Hills where it's safe. Or wherever you hang your hat.

Sorry, this just ticked me off. The assumptions were unfair, extremely off-base, and quite out of date. Calling LoBro junk....THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS in my book.

I would agree that Lobro could use some work. While part of Lobro has 'charm,' with something like this going in charecter is important. That is prime location, so I think it's their duty to improve the tourist feel of Nashville by giving us something new. As long as they are willing to respect the historical nature of LoBro, I'm not opposed to a project like this.

Ha, Ha you go Dave...

Funny thing is that I am sitting here typing and listening to Jimmy Hendrix, I wish I was around to see him when he performed in Nashville. Was it on lower Broadway? or Printers Allley?

Archived