Westin on Lower Broad

QuietMike

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i believe the southwest corner. if you are on 1st and turn up Broadway (away from the river, obviously) it would be between 2nd and 3rd on your left. the surface lot is at the corner of 2nd and Broadway, with buildings about halfway up the block to 3rd. its an eyesore (the lot AND IMO the buildings as well).

I mean the parking lot. I know there are some buildings that front along B'way. And there's the Roberts and Roberts building behind Trail West.

BTW: When I was last in Nashville, I walked down to the corner of that block (opposite the Trail West), and I was struck by how forlorn the whole block appeared. It was dark and lifeless. The Westin may not be the prettiest structure proposed anywhere, but does anyone have better proposal (now) to bring life back to that stretch of DT? Maybe Ann Roberts does. Or maybe Rick Barnhardt.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my goodness! You could almost hear the bush of corduroy as William rushed to straddle the fence. I agree that the design of the building is appropriate for the neighborhood but I don't agree that a developer should be bullied by the government when he was just following the law.

What happens to the historic overlay now?

As I understand it there is a historic

Councilman Jameson is filing for the "design overlay district" later today and will be holding a press conference at 1:30p.m. today at Gruhn Guitars, 400 Broadway. I am including the link to the article, and the overlay map and booklet of proposed regulations.

Nashville CityPaper

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=54347

Map of proposed overlay district and guidelines

http://www.nashville.gov/mhc/mhzc_lower_broadway.htm.

Looks like the Westin will be the last tall building on Broadway.

Guidelines: Height

New buildings must be constructed to a height that is compatible with the height of adjacent buildings.

Infill buildings which directly front on Broadway shall not exceed a height greater than 65 feet or 5 stories.

Infill buildings which directly front on Broadway may rise an additional 15 feet (80 feet total or 6 stories), at a distance of 30 feet

from the main fa

What is this then? It looks like the bill was passed on the 16th according to this.

The third clause requiring the historic conservation overlay was revised and omitted. I don't get it.

http://www.nashville.gov/mc/ordinances/bl2006_1255.htm

BILL NO. BL2006-1255

An ordinance to amend Title 17 of the Metropolitan Code of Laws, the Zoning Ordinance of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, by changing from CF to SP zoning properties located at 141, 147, 149, 151, 161, and 165 2nd Avenue South and 140 and 150 3rd Avenue South, and 3rd Avenue South (unnumbered) at the northeast corner of 3rd Avenue South and Demonbreun Street (1.59 acres), to permit the development of a mixed-use, 28 story office/retail building, all of which is described herein (Proposal No. 2006SP-161U-09). The bill was approved by the Planning Commission and Planning, Zoning and Historical Committee. Mr. Jameson offered Amendment No.2 and moved for its adoption, which motion was seconded and adopted by a voice vote of the Council. Mr. Jameson moved to pass the bill on third reading as amended, which motion was seconded and adopted by the following vote: "Ayes" Dozier, Briley, Dread, Gilmore, Hunt, Craddock, Murray, Jameson, Cole, Hart, Forkum, Ryman, Brown, Gotto, Burch, White, Loring, Page, Hausser, Wallace, Walls, Whitmore, Crafton, Evans, Summers, Shulman, Adkins, Foster, Alexander, Wilhoite, Hodge, Toler, Coleman, Duvall, Williams, Tygard (36); "Noes" Isabel, Greer (2).

Here is the Westin bill.

http://www.nashville.gov/mc/ordinances/bl2006_1296.htm

It is clause 7. that requires the overlay:

7. Prior to approval of a final site plan, a historic preservation zoning overlay shall be established to include properties along Broadway between 1st Ave. and 5th Ave. including additional adjacent properties determined eligible for inclusion in the Broadway National Register District, as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the wording of this bill, the Westin final site plan cannot be approved if the overlay is not established.

So who "shall" establish this overlay? The overlay will be brought before the Planning Commission by Jameson. Does the Commission have the authority to establish the overlay? Does the overlay have go back to the Council for a vote? I don't see that happening in the time frame prior to the third reading on the Westin bill by February 3rd. The Commission must be able to establish the overlay. although I have seen plenty of bills before the Council that are zone changes.

What I don't understand is, if the establishment of an overlay is a revison to the zoning code, doesn't the Council have to vote on changes to the zoning code?

I think the cul-de-sac ban revision to the zoning code was established without going to the Council so I don't think the Council really has any say so in the revisions to the zoning code.

I don't really understand why they don't, if they don't. Isn't the zoning code a part of the Metro Code? How is it that a Metro Commission has the power to change any part of the code? I thought legialative powers were under the authority of the Council not any individual Commissions.

Here is the Westin bill.

http://www.nashville.gov/mc/ordinances/bl2006_1296.htm

It is clause 7. that requires the overlay:

7. Prior to approval of a final site plan, a historic preservation zoning overlay shall be established to include properties along Broadway between 1st Ave. and 5th Ave. including additional adjacent properties determined eligible for inclusion in the Broadway National Register District, as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the wording of this bill, the Westin final site plan cannot be approved if the overlay is not established.

So who "shall" establish this overlay? The overlay will be brought before the Planning Commission by Jameson. Does the Commission have the authority to establish the overlay? Does the overlay have go back to the Council for a vote? I don't see that happening in the time frame prior to the third reading on the Westin bill by February 3rd. The Commission must be able to establish the overlay. although I have seen plenty of bills before the Council that are zone changes.

What I don't understand is, if the establishment of an overlay is a revison to the zoning code, doesn't the Council have to vote on changes to the zoning code?

I think the cul-de-sac ban revision to the zoning code was established without going to the Council so I don't think the Council really has any say so in the revisions to the zoning code.

I don't really understand why they don't, if they don't. Isn't the zoning code a part of the Metro Code? How is it that a Metro Commission has the power to change any part of the code? I thought legialative powers were under the authority of the Council not any individual Commissions.

Interesting that Richard was on C 2 and said that if the council votes this down then they are voting against the Westin and all the jobs and tax revenue. That is sort of a paraphrase. I think the council will pass this one. Funny thing Richard also said there were a number of buildings made out of block that have no historic significance that would be under this bill. Shame we cant have any exceptions to the bill and allow non historic buildings to be torn down and something historic looking in its place.

Interesting that Richard was on C 2 and said that if the council votes this down then they are voting against the Westin and all the jobs and tax revenue. That is sort of a paraphrase. I think the council will pass this one. Funny thing Richard also said there were a number of buildings made out of block that have no historic significance that would be under this bill. Shame we cant have any exceptions to the bill and allow non historic buildings to be torn down and something historic looking in its place.

Archived