Westin on Lower Broad

QuietMike

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have the picture, but if I find time I might be able to scan it, but on the very back page of the front page section (not the regular one, the extended section they only have on Sundays) there was a full page picture of lower Broad with the Westin (the rendering that the Council was using that was wrong because the hotel was too big) pictured. It had a message to the effect that local business owners don't want it there, and then it had the signatures of business ownders on Lower Broad. I thought it was pretty effective, but it made me mad that they used an old, wrong rendering to bolster their case against it.

PS. On the back page of the Williamson AM there was a full page ad for Signature Tower.

I don't have the picture, but if I find time I might be able to scan it, but on the very back page of the front page section (not the regular one, the extended section they only have on Sundays) there was a full page picture of lower Broad with the Westin (the rendering that the Council was using that was wrong because the hotel was too big) pictured. It had a message to the effect that local business owners don't want it there, and then it had the signatures of business ownders on Lower Broad. I thought it was pretty effective, but it made me mad that they used an old, wrong rendering to bolster their case against it.

PS. On the back page of the Williamson AM there was a full page ad for Signature Tower.

This is interesting. I wonder why local business owners don't want it? I can only see two reasons.

Have the businesses bought the line that Lower Broadway development is bad because it will destroy the honky tonk nature of the strip that brings in the tourist dollars?

Or, do they know a vote for the Westin is a vote for a historic overlay and they want control of their own private property rather than giving it up even for the promise of development rights to sell off to others.

Is there a clear position in the ad? Are they saying big buildings on Broadway are bad or are they saying it is unfair to allow one big building and not allow any more?

I can't imangine any property owner voting themselves into a historic overlay. Maybe they figure the "antique" value of their land will be more than the developed value?

The owners of the Trail West Shop must think this will pass as they have a new location on 2nd ave across from Joes Crab Shack. Here is the link from the Tennessean today.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...5/1436/BUSINESS

A question for PRGuy.

Has there been any mention of what retailers or rests. would go into the street level shops or has this even been approached yet?

Sorry guys...but I'm beginning to falter on my support of this project. As much as I want a Westin downtown, I can't get past the "hospital-like" appearance of the behemoth. Plus...the more I see photos up and down Broadway of those old buildings, I begin to feel that something that tall on top of that area of lower Broad is gonna take away. I know those old bldgs where they want to build are not the best for the area, but I really believe something built there needs to only be 3-4 stories high. It's such a beautifully cool all-Nashville section...I'd hate to have the Westin take away from that.

So...color me officially flipped.

You're right. Westin is known as a trend-setting brand in the hospitality industry. The proposed Nashville property (while certainly a great addition to the city) certainly does NOT make any kind of stylish statement.

I am still in favor of the project but I want an all glass facade in silver or light green. Give me a reson to like the looks of the building.

Yes...now if someone were only to erect a four-story fiberglass office tower designed to resemble a large poo, then we would have even more diversity!

My point: "diversity" all by itself and for its own sake is no more valuable in architecture than it is in personal hygiene or varying degrees of unemployment. One must insist upon beauty, usefulness, and strength, and then enjoy a diversity of success within these parameters of goodness.

That said, most of the things that make the proposed Westin different from the traditional architecture it will dominate, if built, also happen to make it inferior: a flat, boring, unadorned fa

Actually, I'm really glad I'm easier to please. Hank, are we getting old?

One thing they say about poo and gas; it's not so bad when it's yours. This is my town, and I don't quite understand the poo reference. I love what's happening around here. All opionions are based on drawings. It's kind of like putting down the Terazzo materials. Until you see and feel the rich Minnesota limestone with your own hands as we've done, it might look like cheap trailer tile in a 2x2 photo. But if that's all you've got to go on....

• 3 weeks later...

From the City Paper

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=55012

I find it extraordinary outrageous that a Metro Council Member would brag that he extorted a private business into funding a historical overlay study as a bribe to allow their building to be built according to the legal guidelines then existing.

Is this where Nashville gets its reputation as being "Business Friendly". Jameson should change his name to Shameson.

Briley Fulton and Boner were all from EN. Bredesen is from WN, and so is Purcell. Historically, E.N. has had a lot of political sway since the merger with Nashville at the turn of the last century.

I guess I don't understand your exclusive linking of E.N. to neighborhoods. The west side of town around Green Hills, Vandy and Belmont especially, have very strong/active neighborhood associations.

I've never heard of the suburban caucus.

Nice to know our mayor does some yard work on his own. Gives him that Regular Joe appeal. I would have bet he had a full time lawn service to take care of his needs, which he might have, but still - trimming shrubs kinda sucks. I hate doing mine.

I personally don't care where a Mayor lives as long as he does a good job. Personally I think good'ol Bill is doing a fine job. I hope we elect a mayor who continues Purcells work and expands on it. We have really seen good growth in development, increase in tourism, and increase in population under his watch. Not everyone will always agree with a politician mostly because there is either an or a (D) next to his or her name. Thats sad, but it's life.

He'res to a healthy city in 08.....

Archived