Westin on Lower Broad

QuietMike

I stand corrected... of course, it's been 15 years since I lived in Nashville. At the time, Purcell lived in the Vandy area. Seems like I recall something on this forum about Purcell now living in East. So I guess that's one more to the list of East Nashvillians as mayor, just as I was saying above. :)

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally don't care where a Mayor lives as long as he does a good job. Personally I think good'ol Bill is doing a fine job. I hope we elect a mayor who continues Purcells work and expands on it. We have really seen good growth in development, increase in tourism, and increase in population under his watch. Not everyone will always agree with a politician mostly because there is either an

Richard, your article ends with the following statement about an expected email in support of the Westin's currently proposed form from Councilman Mike Jameson:

"The letter is likely to say that keeping it low on Lower Broad may mean keeping it empty."

Is the letter likely to say this, or are you saying this? You have my utmost respect, Mr. Lawson, but I rather suspect you crossed the fine line between reporting and editorializing here.

Richard, your article ends with the following statement about an expected email in support of the Westin's currently proposed form from Councilman Mike Jameson:

"The letter is likely to say that keeping it low on Lower Broad may mean keeping it empty."

Is the letter likely to say this, or are you saying this? You have my utmost respect, Mr. Lawson, but I rather suspect you crossed the fine line between reporting and editorializing here.

Yet another story from the citypaper..... Tonights the night!

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=55243

What ticks me off most about this story are the two council women who are opposing the build. This is no longer about "preserving downtown" this is about winning an argument. If they truely wanted to preserve they would stick to their guns and oppose the whole thing entirely instead of asking for a compromise of 12 stories.

Lynn Williams represents District 34 (in the Green Hills area)

Giner Hausser represents District 18 (A section in the Belmont Hillsboro area I think)

Neither of these two concil women represent the district that the hotel is being proposed. Those who actually live and work in District 6 are in favor of the Hotel because it will benifit them. A good amount of Nashvillians are supportive of the hotel because of the economic impact it could have for us. I don't see Lynn Williams crying foul everytime an old home is purchased in Green Hills and torn down so that the owner can put up a new mansion on their high value property. I don't see Hausser doing that either. Drive through Green Hills and take a look at some of the construction taking place. Some nice old homes have been demolished to make way for a new modern home. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this, I'm just saying if she is truely concerned about preservation she should take care of her home district first.

Whether you oppose or support this project I just hope somthing is decided tonight that way the concil will have to find something eles to argue about for the rest of the year.

Yet another story from the citypaper..... Tonights the night!

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=55243

What ticks me off most about this story are the two council women who are opposing the build. This is no longer about "preserving downtown" this is about winning an argument. If they truely wanted to preserve they would stick to their guns and oppose the whole thing entirely instead of asking for a compromise of 12 stories.

Lynn Williams represents District 34 (in the Green Hills area)

Giner Hausser represents District 18 (A section in the Belmont Hillsboro area I think)

Neither of these two concil women represent the district that the hotel is being proposed. Those who actually live and work in District 6 are in favor of the Hotel because it will benifit them. A good amount of Nashvillians are supportive of the hotel because of the economic impact it could have for us. I don't see Lynn Williams crying foul everytime an old home is purchased in Green Hills and torn down so that the owner can put up a new mansion on their high value property. I don't see Hausser doing that either. Drive through Green Hills and take a look at some of the construction taking place. Some nice old homes have been demolished to make way for a new modern home. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this, I'm just saying if she is truely concerned about preservation she should take care of her home district first.

Whether you oppose or support this project I just hope somthing is decided tonight that way the concil will have to find something eles to argue about for the rest of the year.

Yes, yes...and your continued monopoly of downtown scoops is getting impressive. As you tell me that your heart was not in editorializing mode, I will believe you...but surely you can see why I suspected, for a moment, that your potently worded concluding sentence was designed to convey more than mere fact?

I'm not saying that journalists shouldn't editorialize, for we all know that this is nearly impossible...I just thought your carefully selectived and powerfully placed pseudo-quote was a little disingenuous.

But apparently I was wrong! Keep up the informative and exciting work.

I agree. If they sue metro they alienate themselves as metro would use our tax dollars to defend itself (not a good move to make as the public won't stand for it), they would forever tarnish their standing with metro, jeopordize future proposals and development issues, and if they sue Barber Group, they'd spend every last dime to probably get nowhere.

I guess they would be trying to preserve a skyline or a historic feel?????? Can you sue for that??????

Seems to me that they are always a day late and a dollar short. I get the feeling that each time an endangered property is mentioned to Anne Roberts, she gives the impression that she'd never heard of it. I suppose hers is an impossible job considering the rights of the property owners. However, it seems that the preservationists' approach is generally hostile toward the owners' rights. Can anybody here give me examples of cooperative ventures between preservationists and developers in Nashville?

One thing comes to mind at the moment... it's the preservation of Five Points in East Nashville. Has anybody from Roberts' group or Rick Barhardt committee done anything to preserve the historic feel of that area? What could they do to get the park built on Main Street at the Carnegie Library? Have any of them proposed a historic overlay? It seems that they should get ahead of the curve rather than fighting everything that comes up with new buildings.

Archived