Westin on Lower Broad

QuietMike

As I mentioned Leo Waters told a work collegue that Westin was out, and Ann Roberts and I had a long discussion about Sobro and how she feels the same way. Her co-worker, Phil Ryan, who works on the zoning for redevelopment districts has mentioned that some of the redevelopment district lines do not make sense and they are looking into that. I invited her and Phil to our next meeting.

One of the sales Vice Presidents for Loews Corporation had serious doubts about the Intercontinental as did a General Manager of Marriott who said the CEO of Intercontinental told him there was no contract, only a Memorandum of Understanding. That is why some still doubt Palmer is actually doing anything at all.

A media person told me this week that SBER was going very slow, and Sage Hospitality and the Barber Group mentioned publically that they wanted to be "where the action was" in reference to Lower broadway, the Sounds and the Predators. Ann Roberts confirmed that NO condos had been sold for the Westin project, and condo sales were contingent on the project being built.

She did say Sage will be taking measurements this week for the street level retail remodel and expansion, but will a new hotel approve them? If Westin is still the hotel component, how come we have heard nothing from them in 3 months?

It will be interesting to see if there is a new hotel, will they want LEED certification? Do they want Condo's? Do they want to be near Lower Broadway? Do they want to try to get approval from MDHA Design and Review Committee? Do they want the structural and architectural restrictions? It will not be easy for another hotel to come on board.

How come SBER are taking so long with Rolling Mill Hill? How come we have not seen any updated Convention Center Plans? How come there has been no news on property aquisition?

I have followed the built environment approxiamately 27 years in Nashville and the MAJORITY of proposals never got built, including mixed use and public buildings. I guess I am just very skeptical until I see a crane erected.

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I mentioned Leo Waters told a work collegue that Westin was out, and Ann Roberts and I had a long discussion about Sobro and how she feels the same way. Her co-worker, Phil Ryan, who works on the zoning for redevelopment districts has mentioned that some of the redevelopment district lines do not make sense and they are looking into that. I invited her and Phil to our next meeting.

Heresay and it is already approved so what are they fighting?

"One of the sales Vice Presidents for Loews Corporation had serious doubts about the Intercontinental as did a General Manager of Marriott who said the CEO of Intercontinental told him there was no contract, only a Memorandum of Understanding. That is why some still doubt Palmer is actually doing anything at all.

A media person told me this week that SBER was going very slow, and Sage Hospitality and the Barber Group mentioned publically that they wanted to be "where the action was" in reference to Lower broadway, the Sounds and the Predators. Ann Roberts confirmed that NO condos had been sold for the Westin project, and condo sales were contingent on the project being built."

Your trademark plastered on a big billboard is a pretty big memo of understanding, not many corporations will allow that unless they plan to participate. No condos are for sale to my knowledge so that is probably why none have been sold.

"She did say Sage will be taking measurements this week for the street level retail remodel and expansion, but will a new hotel approve them? If Westin is still the hotel component, how come we have heard nothing from them in 3 months?"

Guess they needed some measurements

"It will be interesting to see if there is a new hotel, will they want LEED certification? Do they want Condo's? Do they want to be near Lower Broadway? Do they want to try to get approval from MDHA Design and Review Committee? Do they want the structural and architectural restrictions? It will not be easy for another hotel to come on board."

Sage IS the hotel arm of the deal so I guess if they are taking meaurements then it all must be good

"How come SBER are taking so long with Rolling Mill Hill? How come we have not seen any updated Convention Center Plans? How come there has been no news on property aquisition?"

Taking so long for what? They are moving at their projected pace and sales are good. Are there plans for the new center? Don't they have to go through an approval process first? We know the size and scope because the city is talking pre-sell with many potential clients, we suspect they will try and get the council to vote on the new tax portion recently passed by the State Legislature before the election and save the passage of the actual building and design to the next group. Since no mayoral candidate has really come out against the facility I would have a reasonable assumption that it would pass.

Well, I will point out that I never quoted Leo Waters personnaly. He denies saying anything about the Westin, I was just positing what a friend of his told me he said about the project. Therefore, the quote or comment from Leo Waters is based on what his friend told me.

I did not mean to put words in Leo's mouth, but in the future if he has any information he does not want published on the internet, he probably should not say anything to anyone that may tell someone else.

Producer2, all this is just for debate please do not take it so seriously or with strict conviction, but I wonder why things are so slow at getting these projects underway here in Nashville when other cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, and Seattle build with so much less hesitation. Other cities seem to plug right along whereas Nashville has to second and third guess everything.

Producer2, all this is just for debate please do not take it so seriously or with strict conviction, but I wonder why things are so slow at getting these projects underway here in Nashville when other cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, and Seattle build with so much less hesitation. Other cities seem to plug right along whereas Nashville has to second and third guess everything.

I don't get all this back-and-forth bickering about whether or not all of these projects are a go or are dead...the only people who really know that are the developers and the contractors....

We can speculate all we want about this, but I would prefer to remain optimistic. Until the developer officially claims the project to be dead or until ground is broken, we should just relax...there is no redeeming value in pure speculation. Lets just hope at least some of these get off the ground.

Once again, the wisdom over the backyard fence fails us.

Westin is tracking and this from those who actually know. It is to be expected that when there isn't instant gratification, the rumors will inevitably start.

Given the months and months of delays getting the project through the approval process it has naturally pushed back timetables.

Would you keep paying for developmental work if you didn't know for sure you would have the approvals first? It stands to reason that all those months of delays would have a trickle down effect.

Meanwhile, I heard from a guy whose cousin in Boise read on the Britney Spears blog that she has a Uncle who.....

• 3 weeks later...

Chris, that was an interesting rendering indeed. That is the one that caused such an uproar some time back. The picture you posted was the one the Historic Commission used to show the impact of the footprint. Unfortunately, it was way out of scale and way too close to the terminus of the Shelby Bridge. In other words it won't even block the Hilton as shown in the picture. There was a big to do over all this and a new picture was published that was more correct in showing the Westin footprint. The commission acknowledged the mistake.

• 2 months later...

Some fresh news on the Westin. It sounds like the developers have run into some finance difficulties -- imagine that. They're still expecting to break ground by year's end. Spring 2008 seems more likely.

bharless@nashvillecitypaper.com

The Barber Group confirmed Thursday that it has yet to secure financing and to purchase land for the 201-foot, $125 million Westin hotel/condo tower it plans to build downtown along the Lower Broad honky-tonk strip.

The Fayetteville, Ark. developer did say that progress is being made and that the company still intends to break ground on the hotel by year

Some fresh news on the Westin. It sounds like the developers have run into some finance difficulties -- imagine that. They're still expecting to break ground by year's end. Spring 2008 seems more likely.

bharless@nashvillecitypaper.com

The Barber Group confirmed Thursday that it has yet to secure financing and to purchase land for the 201-foot, $125 million Westin hotel/condo tower it plans to build downtown along the Lower Broad honky-tonk strip.

The Fayetteville, Ark. developer did say that progress is being made and that the company still intends to break ground on the hotel by year

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived