Westin on Lower Broad

QuietMike

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure am glad you guys are watching the papers now. My time has gotten less as of late.

Hopefully this project will get started soon. It sure has been delayed long enough. I figured the days were numbered for the Barber groups involvement in this project. I think I said that Sage had more than enough resources to get this project done by themselves.

Do I understand correctly that this version of the building will have a smoother approval process than the last version? In other words, is whatever zoning and height restriction stuff done that is going to need approval, or does that all really start over again and if so, will we have the same amount of scrutiny and controversy as we did last time? I'm all for public input on buildings: in fact I think that Nashville needs more of it! I'm also all for preservation. But frankly, this is a good thing for downtown Nashville, so let's make the most of it, not make it go away.

16 levels will still make quite an impact on Lower Broadway and create a stairway effect to the Pinnacle building behind it. Good news this is still chugging along I just hope it stays Westin or if not... maybe a big aloft hotel would be cool there as downtown always needs lower-priced, yet attractive hotels.

The article states that the design hasn't been finished yet. Let's say the design takes three more months to complete. Then you have the allow a couple of months at least to get approvals, the company has to put the project up for bid, select the bid. The winning bidder has to mobilize, etc. Bottom line is this project won't start until next year, in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again. The Westin is going back in front of the planning commission. This is from the Tennessean this afternoon.

I would love to see this settled without a lot of debate on the part of the city or the developer.

IMO, this one needs to be a fast track and I would say it will be since the taller version was approved earlier. This should satisfy a number of people by the reduction in the number fo floors.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...NESS01/80402091

I did'nt have an issue with what the developers wanted to do last time. I would say that the Westin taking over the Trail West building and preserving it will do more to preserve the structure than has been done since the building was built. I think it will pass this time just as it did last time. If the Trail West building is the issue, it will come out far better than the current owners are willing to ever do.

As I've said before, if it passed before, and it will pass again. What's changed other than now they're looking at a scaled back, shorter project? You would think the Historic Preservation folks would realize they are trying to "beat a dead horse". They've already had their chance. They ought to save themselves the trouble and expense and back off.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how tall this is supposed to be? I tried looking at the new articles, an old article, and early pages but did not see anything. I don't think the old design was that bad, and I wish the condos weren't scrapped. The new design isn't too bad either, but it seems a little uninteresting. The renderings can't be judged as the actual building sometimes, so maybe once the hotel is done along with the Pinnacle and Encore it will look good. I think this is a good project to get done.

Archived