Westin on Lower Broad

QuietMike

I haven't seen them, but I'll echo my concern now (b/c I can).

Zoning should not let this developer get away with cheese. And especially Westin should not either. While I don't know a thing about this developer, his short list of projects makes me wary of their ability to pull off a quality project.

Now with this proposal out of the box, I have to ask: "Where are the local guys who would have a high-quality hotel for their hometown?" Let's go guys, if Westin is interested, then there must be at least two others out there checking out the landscape.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again... As long as Purcell drags his feet with absolutely no leadership on the convention center, then these hotel companies will court just about anybody to investigate their options. They may do this even after the location of the cc is decided, but there would be some element of competition among all those companies considering DT Nashville for a new hotel. I believe the competition would spur the highest quality hotel developments possible.

In my gut, I don't think an inexperienced developer from Arkansas has any plans other than putting up something and then moving on. I'm surprised Westin would allow their name to be splashed across a piece of crap.

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The renderings are available at nashvillepost.com without a subscription. Basically, the building faces 3rd Avenue, unlike what I expected. I had imagined the building facing and centered above Broadway. I like the treatment and scale of Broadway. Although not very impressed by the hotel portion itself, I think I'm OK with the project on this site. Hopefully we'll have more detailed renderings soon, but my first feeling is slight relief with hopes of an improved and more symetrical tower portion.

The renderings are available at nashvillepost.com without a subscription. Basically, the building faces 3rd Avenue, unlike what I expected. I had imagined the building facing and centered above Broadway. I like the treatment and scale of Broadway. Although not very impressed by the hotel portion itself, I think I'm OK with the project on this site. Hopefully we'll have more detailed renderings soon, but my first feeling is slight relief with hopes of an improved and more symetrical tower portion.

I usually don't even link on the NashvillePost articles as they are locked down pretty tight. But since you mentioned it, I checked them out. I do like the idea of fronting on 3rd. Apparently, they got out ahead of the criticism with some human scale along Broad.

You mentioned that you hope for symmetry in the tower. I must admit that the asymmetry is the thing I found to be OK with this rendering. IMO, symmetry is boring on shorter buildings.

Those of you with a Nashville Post subscription should check out the preliminary renderings for the Westin on Lower Broad. While the Broadway elevation is not terrible, the 2nd Ave elevation needs a lot of work. Of course, the Broadway side needs work too, but the 2nd Ave. side... whoa. Another issue is the total lack of setback on 3rd. That was a surprise.

Thanks for the pictures, Richard.

That was an accident really. I'm working on a story related to it and screwed up the posting time. They will be back up shortly.

The story is back up but behind the subscription wall. The images can still be seen without subscription.

ATLBrain: If I provide a link to a story here on the blog, that means it is free on the site. The associated story on this gives details of what else was included in the drawings, such as the number of hotel rooms and condos. This story might open up Monday if I talk about it again on News 2 Monday morning. You don't have to be a subscriber to provide comments on a story. You just have to be a registered user.

Wow!!

I really love it!!! I think it would be awesome if it were built as is... its such a nice contrast to the buildings on broadway.. and it really ties in (in my humble opinion) with the Bell South Building, and other downtown buildings... I think it would look AWESOME as is!!!

Thanks, Richard. I have read the two articles that you posted on the forum recently, and I must commend you for your thoroughness on them. In fact, I had asked a few questions on this forum before I read your first article on the Westin, and you answered all of them in the article.

I also understand your need to extend privileges to subscribers. I'll check the links in the future.

Thanks again. Scott

Yeah, that's what I counted. That should turn out to be what, 240 feet? And it looks like they've done a good job tying in historic (looking) buildings on Broadway. I wonder if those will be retail or part of the hotel. Can anyone read the words under each picture? I can't see what it says.

Thanks, Richard. I have read the two articles that you posted on the forum recently, and I must commend you for your thoroughness on them. In fact, I had asked a few questions on this forum before I read your first article on the Westin, and you answered all of them in the article.

I also understand your need to extend privileges to subscribers. I'll check the links in the future.

Thanks again. Scott

Thanks... I try to be as thorough as possible. The great thing about the Internet stuff is I'm not space constrained.

Yeah, that's what I counted. That should turn out to be what, 240 feet? And it looks like they've done a good job tying in historic (looking) buildings on Broadway. I wonder if those will be retail or part of the hotel. Can anyone read the words under each picture? I can't see what it says.

Lobby, restaurant and retail space

At first glance I think I approve. I personally don't have a problem with the scale. However, I am curious to see the other 2 sides. If I had the ability to set guidlines on this building I would insist upon street level retail on all sides. I'm speculating the back side of this building is nothing but a faceless wall of a parking garage. ...........After just looking at the site again, I supposed the back side will not, front the street. However, I still feel this block is a very important connector between the CBD and SoBro and should be treated as such. The worst thing to do to urban streets is to erect a block long, faceless wall, with no service of any kind. I ask the developers to Please, Please be careful on this one!

^^^^^^having said that, I hope it get's build

At first glance I think I approve. I personally don't have a problem with the scale. However, I am curious to see the other 2 sides. If I had the ability to set guidlines on this building I would insist upon street level retail on all sides. I'm speculating the back side of this building is nothing but a faceless wall of a parking garage. ...........After just looking at the site again, I supposed the back side will not, front the street. However, I still feel this block is a very important connector between the CBD and SoBro and should be treated as such. The worst thing to do to urban streets is to erect a block long, faceless wall, with no service of any kind. I ask the developers to Please, Please be careful on this one!

^^^^^^having said that, I hope it get's build

Two levels of underground parking

I'm a believer I think. I like what the plan is for Broadway. I share Nashvillwill's concern as well. My only other concern is an influx of hotel traffic on Third Ave. That may not be a concern as it looks as if the entrance to the garage is on Second Ave.

I must say I was quite skeptical first of the idea of a 20 story hotel towering above lobro, but this rendering completely changes my mind. I really really like what I see. Honestly, I could see this fitting in to the area quite well, and am really impressed with the plans for a bunch of street level buildings and the actual tower further back. I'm hoping that since so much of the building will front broadway, that most of those building fronts will host retail/restraunts. This, along with the hotel of course, will bring tons more people downtown and especially to broadway. This development is something that honestly, really needs to happen. Considering what it would be replacing (the ugly, touristy/tacky buildings), the hotel and retail will really help add more people and energy to the area.

I must say I was quite skeptical first of the idea of a 20 story hotel towering above lobro, but this rendering completely changes my mind. I really really like what I see. Honestly, I could see this fitting in to the area quite well, and am really impressed with the plans for a bunch of street level buildings and the actual tower further back. I'm hoping that since so much of the building will front broadway, that most of those building fronts will host retail/restraunts. This, along with the hotel of course, will bring tons more people downtown and especially to broadway. This development is something that honestly, really needs to happen. Considering what it would be replacing (the ugly, touristy/tacky buildings), the hotel and retail will really help add more people and energy to the area.

Ann Roberts at Metro Historical Commission has a totally different view from most of you guys. And she's on the design review committee at MDHA. This will get very interesting. I wonder how the views would be if the developer created a throwback design of the hotels of old and didn't opt for the contemporary design.

I'm not sure why people get so worked up about blending old and new. Europe has done that for centuries. Of course, we helped in creating open space when we bombed the hell out of Germany in WWII.

Nonetheless, Roberts' point is that the city needs to be more thoughtful especially as it relates to the Broadway Historic district. I don't understand how a tattoo parlor made it into one of the historic buildings on Broad.

Ann Roberts at Metro Historical Commission has a totally different view from most of you guys. And she's on the design review committee at MDHA. This will get very interesting. I wonder how the views would be if the developer created a throwback design of the hotels of old and didn't opt for the contemporary design.

I'm assuming from what your saying here that my statement that this project is going to be a very tough sell is on target. I have a feeling that a high rise throwback design would be ipreferred, but would also be in trouble. I really think the height of the structure next to several blocks of low rise buildings will be the most controversial part of the design.

I must admit that I find the juxtaposition of the modern against the older to be interesting.

I'll just say this again... I'm concerned about the precedent this may set for the rest of Broad.

If you want a dichotomy of styles, look at the Symphony hall and the Country Music Hall of Fame. Or the Cohen building and the Viridian.

While I like the Cohen next to the Viridian... and I think the SSC is a beautiful building. I think the CMHOF is a hideous expression of "architecture."

OK, as I try to remember back to the days when I lived in Nashville, I do remember somebody by the name of Ann who represented the Historic Association (or whatever it was named). But I thought her name was Reynolds. Are these two different women?

I seem to remember that Ann Reynolds (if that's her name) had a bigger bark than a bite. That gets back to what Doormanpoet was complaining about in another thread. The historic commission just seems to be powerless.

While I like the Cohen next to the Viridian... and I think the SSC is a beautiful building. I think the CMHOF is a hideous expression of "architecture."

OK, as I try to remember back to the days when I lived in Nashville, I do remember somebody by the name of Ann who represented the Historic Association (or whatever it was named). But I thought her name was Reynolds. Are these two different women?

I seem to remember that Ann Reynolds (if that's her name) had a bigger bark than a bite. That gets back to what Doormanpoet was complaining about in another thread. The historic commission just seems to be powerless.

That is the same Ann. She had gotten married and her husband tragically died. They hadn't been married long.

The organization does have more bark than bite. But the bite got to be a little stronger as a member of the design review committee at MDHA

Archived