Conway's growth

krazeeboi

It seems as though the official phrase regarding the growth in Conway is "I've never seen anything like it." The area is beginning to see a real population boom. I'm sure that as home prices in nearby Myrtle Beach begin to rise, Conway will begin to tap even more into the Grand Strand growth. Read more here.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conway's growth does not surprise me. Many new residents do not want to pay skyrocketing prices to live in Myrtle Beach's residential high rises going up. They want to be close to the beach, but enjoy an ordinary life in a town.

The mention of Centex Homes building approximately 4,000 homes on 1,700 acres will more than double the current population of nearly 12,000. Will the population reach 25,000 by the year 2015?

Intersate 73 coming into the area will help Conway's economy grow with people stopping in hotels, eating at restaurants and shopping in nearby stores.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That article is mostly about the suburban development in Conway, but I will add that Conway's downtown has been rejuvinated as well. I had lunch downtown with my family last year in a cute Cafe..I think it was called the Train Trestle or something like that. What I havn't heard much about is urban type residential development in Conway. I am heading down there in a few weeks and would be interested to see what all is going on.

This is very interesting, it looks like Conway is being transformed in a large way.

Could this continuing growth prompt SCDOT to consider extending I-20 from Florence to the Conway/Myrtle Beach area in consideration of hurricane evacuation needs?

This is very interesting, it looks like Conway is being transformed in a large way.

Could this continuing growth prompt SCDOT to consider extending I-20 from Florence to the Conway/Myrtle Beach area in consideration of hurricane evacuation needs?

No, I don't think so. The big need for hurricane evacuation is from Myrtle Beach and the proposed I-73 will solve that problem when built. Having I-20 extended to Myrtle Beach would be nice however but I don't think the state will ever do it.

Conway has already been bypassed for many beach goers by the new SC Hwy 22 which connects Myrtle Beach to 501 west of Conway between Conway and Aynor. It's a much much easier drive than trying to get into Myrtle Beach via 501. It's built as a freeway and the speed limit is either 60 or 65 if I remember correctly.

No, I don't think so. The big need for hurricane evacuation is from Myrtle Beach and the proposed I-73 will solve that problem when built. Having I-20 extended to Myrtle Beach would be nice however but I don't think the state will ever do it.

Conway has already been bypassed for many beach goers by the new SC Hwy 22 which connects Myrtle Beach to 501 west of Conway between Conway and Aynor. It's a much much easier drive than trying to get into Myrtle Beach via 501. It's built as a freeway and the speed limit is either 60 or 65 if I remember correctly.

I understand that US 378 will be widened from Lake City to the Conway area. This route is in the state's evac plan.

Archived