Amazing Race in Greenville?

klynnnn

I'm planning a scavenger hunt/amazing race type event to be held in Greenville in August for our annual convention (insurance agents). This will take place from one end of Main Street, starting near the Hyatt, to the other, ending in Falls Park. I'd like to ask for your help coming up with things, places and clues along the way to add to my race/hunt that are interesting, perhaps a bit hidden, or a bit off the beaten path. I have a three hour time limit and I've collected some clues during a recent visit to Main Street, but, not being familiar with the area I'm using mostly historical reference points and items, like bridges, fountains and statues, in my clues and am hoping to add a few items that the general tourist public won't find on the maps or websites.... Can anyone help me out?

Some of the places on my list of clues already: Fountain in front of the Pointsett, The Liberty Building, the bells in the trees in front of Carolina First, the fountain at the bottom of the steps at Larkins Restaurant, the Wyche Pavilion, the blue pedestrian bridge across the Reedy, Mast General Store, Zora the kitty in the used book store, etc. and so on....

Thanks all!!

klynnnn :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some other suggestions:

• The piano or the map on the wall at the back (Laurens Street) entrance to the Mast General Store would be off-the-beaten-path

• The painted ceiling tiles at Sophisticated Palate

• Something (Cherokee Statue, Pooh Bear, etc.) from Linky Stone Park under the Academy Street Bridge (just a block or so off of South Main Street)

• Laser Light in Charles Townes' Pen at RiverPlace

• The original foundation wall for the old mill in Falls Park

• The Mice on Main make for an excellent scavenger hunt in and of themselves

• The old baggage cart in the basement of the West End Market

Thanks!! (p.s... I found your pics on flickr, and found this site from there I believe - and sent you an email after seeing your pics)....

The wall of the old mill in Falls Park is already on my list...

I was thinking about taking them through Mast General Store (to buy candies!) and then out the back door but I missed the piano and/or map there - is this IN the store or outside? ... the side door comes out on the little plaza thing, was going to use that ...

I just found a picture of the painted tiles at Sophisticated Place today too - like those!! One picture I did find that I was going to use is the "gone with the wind" type pic in the Atlanta Bread Company porch area but I think I like the ceiling tiles better... is that restaurant on Main St?

I may need to check out the Academy St Bridge, I missed that one...

Do you happen to know the name of the statue across from the Falls Park entrance on the corner - gentleman with funny round glasses on a bench ??

Rather than using the mice on main (since they're so "well known" and also since there's a clue list for these as you leave the hotel where we'll be staying) I was going to use the kitty (Zora) at Bentley's used Bookstore and tie that into the mice somehow (the live cat just seemed a bit more exciting!)

May check out the West End Market thing too - that sounds interesting, how far down (up?) from Falls Park is the market (give or take)?

Thanks again, appreciate it!

I just saw your comment on flickr, but replied here.

To answer your other questions:

1. I was thinking about taking them through Mast General Store (to buy candies!) and then out the back door but I missed the piano and/or map there - is this IN the store or outside? ... the side door comes out on the little plaza thing, was going to use that ...

2. I just found a picture of the painted tiles at Sophisticated Place today too - like those!! One picture I did find that I was going to use is the "gone with the wind" type pic in the Atlanta Bread Company porch area but I think I like the ceiling tiles better... is that restaurant on Main St?

3. Do you happen to know the name of the statue across from the Falls Park entrance on the corner - gentleman with funny round glasses on a bench ??

4. May check out the West End Market thing too - that sounds interesting, how far down (up?) from Falls Park is the market (give or take)?

1. The piano and map are inside the store just before you walk out onto Laurens Street toward the Richardson Street Parking Garage. The piano is on your left, the map on your right on the wall.

2. Sophisticated Palate is on South Main Street, yes.

3. That is Dr. Charles Hard Townes.

4. It's about two blocks on past Falls Park, on the left at the intersection of River Street, South Main Street, and Augusta Street. Look for Mellow Mushroom and you've found it. There's an interesting sculpture in the middle of that intersection, too, the "Nexus of Light." Also, the statue of Shoeless Joe Jackson is there at the Shoeless Joe Jackson Plaza next to the West End Market.

Thanks again for all your help - I recall the Mellow Mushroom from my drive toward/through the West End and I think I turned around in the parking lot of what was obviously the bottom half of THE West End Market then (hmmm...) but I was driving so I obviously missed the Nexus of Light sculpture .... and thanks for the link for the statue, I looked all over for a plaque there but couldn't find one.

I live in Columbia and I must say that downtown Greenville is SO much nicer - many things to do and see AND places to shop, all within easy walking distance and with free parking! doesn't get much better than that (unless your in NYC!) ...

One more question if I may, I visited Greenville about 10/11 years ago shortly after I moved here to SC and I thought I recalled going to restaurant - basement level (going down steps to get there) ... I found the coffee shop during my recent visit but that isn't what I recall in my mind - do you think I dreamed this or does a real restaurant at basement level exist?

I'm going through your pics individually too now, great stuff!

many thanks!

K

Does anyone know where I can get a Main Street map that shows buildings and perhaps building numbers, or a website even? I've got my notes and pictures but I criscrossed the street several times and I want to put all my clues in order so the flow goes down the street correctly.... and yet again, thanks for all the wonderful help!

p.s... the flickr group of downtown Greenville SC pictures are great too if no one has seen them yet!

There used to be a Southwestern restaurant (cannot recall the name) in the area where the Blu Martini is today. The entrance was on College. After that it was another restaurant that served good steaks and had occasional karaoke. Actually, it has been several things prior to the Blu Martini.

I think a great idea would be to mention sites by what used to be in the location so that people will have to ask around to find that spot.

Have them go to the site of the Camperdown Mill (now Bowater) or the old city jail (now the distro. center for Greenville News), site of old Furman University (County Square) site of old Chicora Womans College (now riverplace), etc.

I can not think of to many more but I am sure other people on here would have some ideas.

There used to be a Southwestern restaurant (cannot recall the name) in the area where the Blu Martini is today. The entrance was on College. After that it was another restaurant that served good steaks and had occasional karaoke. Actually, it has been several things prior to the Blu Martini.

I believe it was called Dempsey's around the time klynnn is talking about.

I believe it was called Dempsey's around the time klynnn is talking about.

Gee, how could I have forgotten Dempsey's??? Used to have great bands in the downstairs courtyard until the noise ordinance came out. That is probably what klynn is talking about.

But, the restaurant I was speaking of in my previous had an entrance on College and had a Southwestern theme.

Does anyone know where I can get a Main Street map that shows buildings and perhaps building numbers, or a website even? I've got my notes and pictures but I criscrossed the street several times and I want to put all my clues in order so the flow goes down the street correctly.... and yet again, thanks for all the wonderful help!

I'm not sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for here, but there are some good maps at:

http://www.greatergreenville.com/visitors/cvb_maps.asp

Gee, how could I have forgotten Dempsey's??? Used to have great bands in the downstairs courtyard until the noise ordinance came out. That is probably what klynn is talking about.

But, the restaurant I was speaking of in my previous had an entrance on College and had a Southwestern theme.

^^ Tahoe South

klynnn, this Link to the Chamber's site has a wealth of info on interesting places downtown. No map though.

>>I think a great idea would be to mention sites by what used to be in the location so that people will have to ask around to find that spot.<<

btoy - thanks! I like this idea and am going to try to incorporate it

>> Dempsey's??? Used to have great bands in the downstairs courtyard until the noise ordinance came out<<

This one sounds familiar! (at least I know I didn't dream it now) :)

>>A couple of them are across from the Hyatt Regency.<<

The Hyatt is where we're are staying so I will check these out also

Thanks again all, this is really starting to come together with all the help I'm getting (and the pictures for orientation). The merchants that I have contacted so far for help have been wonderful too!

K :D

I think a great idea would be to mention sites by what used to be in the location so that people will have to ask around to find that spot.

Have them go to the site of the Camperdown Mill (now Bowater) or the old city jail (now the distro. center for Greenville News), site of old Furman University (County Square) site of old Chicora Womans College (now riverplace), etc.

I can not think of to many more but I am sure other people on here would have some ideas.

The Greenville Women's College was at the site of Heritage Green, so if people get confused about which College was which, you may get turned around.

Don't forget the Carriage Factory (now the Peace Center)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question I'm hoping you all can help me with (as I'm starting to lose my visual perspective of Main Street since it's been several weeks since I've been there) ... Am I correct in thinking that the Westin Poinsett Hotel, the McBee statue, the Liberty Building and the Courthouse are all contained in the same little "square" on Main Street??

thanks!

K

I have a question I'm hoping you all can help me with (as I'm starting to lose my visual perspective of Main Street since it's been several weeks since I've been there) ... Am I correct in thinking that the Westin Poinsett Hotel, the McBee statue, the Liberty Building and the Courthouse are all contained in the same little "square" on Main Street??

thanks!

K

If you're referring to the old courthouse, the answer is yes.

thanks!

K

You are correct, klynnnn. It is refered to as 'Court Square,' and has two small, one-lane streets crossing over Main Street named, East Court Street and West Court Street. The original town of Pleasantburg (later Greenville) was centered right here. NYTransplant posted a map of the original town layout somewhere on UrbanPlanet.org. :thumbsup:

Thanks again .... :)

I'm going to do a "dress a tourist" (and then take a picture) thing on this square and I didn't want to put all the teams in the exact same spot, but I do want them in the same area (image a group of people hounding tourists to dress funny and then have their picture taken in this spot on a Saturday afternoon -- do you think it will work?)

I'm still working on my clue list and I'd like to run it by you all when I'm near done to get your feedback if I could? And, the final destination spot will be in Falls Park (Sat aftrn 8/12) if you'd like to come say hi! :)

K

• 2 months later...

I just want to thank everyone who helped me out answering questions and providing information for this event - it took place last weekend (8/12) and if you were downtown between 1-3 you may have seen a few groups of crazy looking folks dressed in colorful bandanas running up and down Main Street! It turned out to be a huge success and everyone who participated said it was a lot of fun .... so thank you again, I couldn't have done it without all the help I received online (especially from RestedTraveler!)...

K :)

p.s... there's a picture of one of the teams along with the MAYOR of Greenville on the Greenville SC Downtown pool on Flickr.com!!

Archived