Incorrect Interstate signs, where are they?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, going either way on 485 towards I-77, you can still see where they blocked out the "85" even though you can still get access to 85 via 77 north, but they wont let you see it? I mean I know it's probably closer to catch 85 over near the airport, but some people still might want to take the old way so why erase it?

Also, going either way on 485 towards I-77, you can still see where they blocked out the "85" even though you can still get access to 85 via 77 north, but they wont let you see it? I mean I know it's probably closer to catch 85 over near the airport, but some people still might want to take the old way so why erase it?

They've done something similar on I-277, as you approach the exit for I-77. It used to say "To 85", but that's been blocked out as well. And they added "To 85" to the sign that points you straight on I-277 to Brookshire Drive. I don't get it....do they want to discourage people from taking I-77 as a "shortcut" to 85 to help traffic flow? :unsure:

In the University area, there's a sign on 85 South that was supposed to be on 85 North. It says "University Research Park -- Exits 45B and 46B." For one thing, on 85 South it'd be the other way around, "Exits 46B and 45B." The other, more important issue, is that there is no exit 46B on 85 South. There's an exit 46A and 46B on 85 North, but on 85 South there's only an exit 46. I know several people who called me when they saw that sign and asked whether they needed to take exit 46A or 46B.

For a while, there was a sign on 85 North just past the 29/49 connector that read "UNC Charlotte -- Exit 43." That's the City Boulevard exit, which currently requires you to get onto City Boulevard, turn onto Neal Road, turn onto IBM Drive, turn onto Harris Boulevard, and then turn onto either Tryon or University City Boulevard to get to the school.

I'm not sure if it's still there (I think it is), but there was a sign on 77 South as you approach Harris Boulevard that says "Exit Only." The only problem is, it's over the shoulder of the road. There will eventually be a lane there (it's already been paved for one), but it won't be there until 485 opens. I guess their goal was to save money, but I've seen several people get confused there, particularly at night. They probably should have considered just mentioning that the Harris exit is coming up, or extending the exit lane back to the sign.

There's also the missing sign for the Sugar Creek Road exit on 85 North which has been gone for months. I don't know if it fell down or was taken down, but right now it's just a stanchion with a sign holder, but no sign.

And I know Mesian Corners has brought this up before, but where the heck are the signs for all the area malls? It would be nice to have signs for Northlake, Carolina Place and SouthPark (I think the exit for Concord Mills Blvd is fairly self-explanatory).

I have noticed two incorrect or not updated signs (both on I-77) in the last month or so.

1. Tyvola Rd. exit off 77 still says Coliseum area when nothing goes on there pertaining to a Coliseum.

2. 77 south in SC still says "Hornets" training center

it says bobcats training center, which is still wrong, but it definately doesn't say hornets i drove past it 2 days ago,

• 5 weeks later...

Slightly OT:

I've never liked "Exit Only" signs. The first couple of times I saw them, I thought it meant "If you exit the freeway here, there's no way to get back on again".

Not simply: "This lane must exit".

LANE MUST EXIT would be better verbage... :rolleyes:

I'd like them to put "YOU MUST EXIT, SO DON'T TRY TO PULL ANY GAMES SQUEEZING OVER IN FRONT OF EVERYONE ELSE IN THE SHOULDER".

But seriously, I agree that Exit Only has another meaning, and Must Exit would be more clear.

Not necessarly on topic here but do people really use Charlotte 4 to give people directions? There cool looking signs but are they necessary?

I have lived here almost 30 years and I have never heard anyone use this as a designation for directions. In fact, I have met very few people who even know what the blue signs with the 4 stand for.

Archived