Ocean State Kayaking

Griswald

Griswald, did you have any luck shopping for a kayak? Will it fit in your basement or should we expect to see it in next year's yardsale after your fiance says you can no longer use it as a coffee table on the first floor?

oak

Yep, I finally got the kayak - the coffee table is not a bad idea, but I was thinking of hanging it on the wall and passing it off as a sculpture. That probably wouldn't have worked either, so Im lucky I fit it through the basement window. That pretty much made my weekend.

So maybe I'll have to start a thread here about kayaking, find out if anyone else paddles in RI...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I finally got the kayak - the coffee table is not a bad idea, but I was thinking of hanging it on the wall and passing it off as a sculpture. That probably wouldn't have worked either, so Im lucky I fit it through the basement window. That pretty much made my weekend.

So maybe I'll have to start a thread here about kayaking, find out if anyone else paddles in RI...

I'm an avid kayaker. My first trip was actually in the good old Providence River from that place that used to be on South Main (Wier something??). If I could recommend some spots, the Pettasquamscutt River/Narrow River in Narragansett is fun and there's lots of places to stop along the way, as long as you're careful of the boaters flying by you and nearly tipping you over (which I actually enjoy). Also the Blackstone from the new Woonsocket Landing in downtown Woonsocket and the Turner Reservoir/Ten Mile River in the Bucket and East Providence. I've heard the most fun is the Wood River, as there are actual rapids and stuff. Anywhere in the Bay is usually fun, but be careful near the Newport bridge cause the swells are crazy.

Now I mostly take my sit on top beach kayak to Narragansett Beach and ride the waves in, trying not to decaptitate small children when a wave throws me into the shore.

Nice, I knew there would be some kayakers here....

Thanks for the tips, I bought a book on paddling 'Gansett Bay, and it has good advice on launch points and lots of info about where to paddle in the bay. I've only been sea kayaking, haven't tried the rivers yet...

After just buying my first sea kayak, I figured I would see how many people out there are into kayaking. I'm used to kayaking in Buzzards Bay on Cape Cod, but I'm looking forward to getting to know Narragansett Bay and the rivers of RI. Although the kayak shop on South Water St is no longer there (Baer River), there are still a number of docks and places to launch in the Providence River. A friend of mine often goes out from Colt State Park in Bristol, and paddles around Prudence and Hog Islands. We're looking forward to some trips this summer, hopefully some overnight camping on one of the islands in the bay.

I found a great book in Borders, I think it's called "Kayaking Narragansett Bay," and it gives a lot of information on launch sites and coastal trips to take around the state.

I think the sport is gaining popularity, and it's too bad the store in Providence is no longer there. There are a few other places in state to get kayaks, equipment, classes, etc - The Kayak Centre of RI in Wickford (seasonal location in Charlestown); Northwind Sports in Bristol; Ocean State Adventures in Bristol; Sakonnet Boathouse in Tiverton...

It would be great if one of these places (or someone new) could open a seasonal space in Providence, maybe once the new waterfront park is completed on the 195 land. I've always thought it would be great to have one of the big outdoor outfitters (REI, EMS) open a downcity store, complete with climbing wall, restaurant, etc. The REI in Seattle is great, draws a lot of people because of the design and the stuff you can do other than shop...

I'll stop now, and hopefully we'll find some people here who can add to the topic. Thanks........

I'm an avid kayaker. My first trip was actually in the good old Providence River from that place that used to be on South Main (Wier something??). If I could recommend some spots, the Pettasquamscutt River/Narrow River in Narragansett is fun and there's lots of places to stop along the way, as long as you're careful of the boaters flying by you and nearly tipping you over (which I actually enjoy). Also the Blackstone from the new Woonsocket Landing in downtown Woonsocket and the Turner Reservoir/Ten Mile River in the Bucket and East Providence. I've heard the most fun is the Wood River, as there are actual rapids and stuff. Anywhere in the Bay is usually fun, but be careful near the Newport bridge cause the swells are crazy.

Now I mostly take my sit on top beach kayak to Narragansett Beach and ride the waves in, trying not to decaptitate small children when a wave throws me into the shore.

I've heard kayaking along the coast of Tiverton and Little Compton is great too, though I've never been. If you're good at eskimo rolling and have a skirt, you gotta go beach kayaking at Narragansett Beach. You can park alongside 1A at the old bridge that everyone jumps off of and then kayak around to the beach. The rougher the ocean the more fun. It sucks getting back in the Narrow River if the tide is going out though, it seems like you're down an up escalator.

Is Eskimo rolling easy to learn through a little practice, or do you recommend taking a class or something?

Does anyone know any good spots for camping along the coast, or at least a place where you can get away with it?

I've heard kayaking along the coast of Tiverton and Little Compton is great too, though I've never been.

Lots of kayakers start off at Fogland in Tiverton - the waters are fairly calm there and parking is available. Fogland is extremely popular with windsurfers and parasailors as well.

Is Eskimo rolling easy to learn through a little practice, or do you recommend taking a class or something?

Does anyone know any good spots for camping along the coast, or at least a place where you can get away with it?

Fisherman's Memorial in Naragansett is a good place to camp, although it is 1st come 1st served there (on Galliee Escape Road in Narragansett). Charletown Breachway is another beach camp spot, and Ninagret still offered some camping last I heard. Burlingame is close to everything and you can kayak the pond.

I took a class at the old place on South Water (Baer or Wier something?), but it was pretty stupid. I learned to eskimo roll by just letting waves tip me over and then flippin myself back up. It's really quite simple and kinda just happens. To start though I wouldn't wear a skirt, so in case you cant flip back up you can easily slide out the bottom. You'll get a ton of water in your kayak but who cares, you can drain it. It's tough to do with a life vest on as well, cause you get halfway on your side and then the vest wants to pull you back up.

Oh and Burlingame is lots of fun to camp at. The pond is nice and clean too.

Nice, I knew there would be some kayakers here....

Thanks for the tips, I bought a book on paddling 'Gansett Bay, and it has good advice on launch points and lots of info about where to paddle in the bay. I've only been sea kayaking, haven't tried the rivers yet...

I have that book too, and it's pretty good and comprehensive... I've done some paddling in the Upper Bay and have found it pretty icky at times, but maybe I'm spoiled by the comparatively pristine waters of the Hudson Valley in NY and the rivers and streams of Minnesota. I was going to try the Lower Bay this year in the hope that things would be prettier, cleaner, and hopefully... Well, there's no other way to say it... Smell better...

- Garris

I have that book too, and it's pretty good and comprehensive... I've done some paddling in the Upper Bay and have found it pretty icky at times, but maybe I'm spoiled by the comparatively pristine waters of the Hudson Valley in NY and the rivers and streams of Minnesota. I was going to try the Lower Bay this year in the hope that things would be prettier, cleaner, and hopefully... Well, there's no other way to say it... Smell better...

- Garris

Yeah unfortunately, pretty much everywhere north of Conimicut in Warwick, and even along Quonset Point in NK is pretty dark and unpleasant to smell or touch. When I kayaked in the Providence River (pre-Providence Place), it was pretty disgusting as well but nonetheless fun as it gives you an interesting view of the city. I wouldn't recommend it in an open kayak.

Just realized I typed this in the West End thread by mistake:

(Garris @ May 25 2006, 01:40 PM)

- Garris

Yeah unfortunately, pretty much everywhere north of Conimicut in Warwick, and even along Quonset Point in NK is pretty dark and unpleasant to smell or touch. When I kayaked in the Providence River (pre-Providence Place), it was pretty disgusting as well but nonetheless fun as it gives you an interesting view of the city. I wouldn't recommend it in an open kayak.

Archived