Triangle,Triad, Metrolina?

Who came up with Metrolina anyhow? The Chamber of Commerce perhaps? Its been adopted by a wide range of businesses and organizations so I guessed its served its purpose in acknowledging the cross-state dynamic. But not many people conversationally use the name to describe the region. Its sounds like an insurance company or tropical disease. I have always liked "Triangle and Triad" it sounds up to date and urbansexy. I know they were labeled as a result of several cities combining under a regional name to bring cohesion. Charlotte stands on her own. But thats no reason not to think up some new names for the overall metro. Charlotteland? Oh thats too much like Chicagoland. Queensland...Australia has that sewn up. I am partial to Carolinalopolis or Carbankolina combining Charlotte's two marquee standardbearers :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Metrolina was a name created locally (I forget by what organization) to describe the area comprised of Mecklenburg county and all of the counties that border it. (note this is not equivalent to either the MSA or CSA)

True to the area's continued tendency to define itself by trendy names, Metrolina is no longer the preferred name for the region. Metrolina is not trendy anymore so it is on the way out, but it is still used by many organizations because it has been around for more than 35 years.

I think the currently trend is to call us, Charlotte USA. (because we are too important now to have the NC tacked onto the end).

I remember in grade school, the social study textbook i was reading called Gastonia to Raleigh the urban crescent.

I remember learning that too. Wonder what ever happened to that.

Oh thats too much like Chicagoland. Queensland...Australia has that sewn up. I am partial to Carolinalopolis or Carbankolina combining Charlotte's two marquee standardbearers laugh.gif

Sorry, I have to make note that Queensland is a territory/state like in Canada which has Newfoundland. Australia just wasn't as creative with their names like Western Australia, South Australia, and Northern Territory for actual territory/state names.

I think the currently trend is to call us, Charlotte USA. (because we are too important now to have the NC tacked onto the end).

I think that's something that's done for cities whose metro area extends across more than one state. I've seen Cincinatti referred to as "Cincinatti USA."

If there is an informal vote going on here, I actually like Metrolina. If nothing else because it has been with us a long time, before Charlotte really exploded with growth, and I am tired of seeing everything changed, updated, and new including place names. If we want a name for the metropolitan region, I don't see anything wrong with this one, i do think it sounds urban enough, and it isn't used anywhere else!

Before I moved here from Charleston I would often see a commercial with a ballerina . I forget all of the ad but it trumpeted lists that Charlotte ranks high on and would end with "Charlotte USA" with elevator music in the background. I guess it was a chamber marketing tool. It was a bit sappy :rolleyes: . I did move to Charlotte though so perhaps it worked subliminally :silly:

^Yes, it was exactly that (Chamber marketing tool). I think that logo is also painted on the floor of the new arena too. There was an article in The O about it when they unveiled it, complete with explanations of the symbolism behind it. Like it was some big deal.

METROLINA... i'm used to it but that doesn't make it good. in fact, when i think about it - it almost sounds derogotory... i don't think i'd want someone to call me a metrolina.

so i offer NEW ideas, none of which are any better but possibly amusing.

QUEENSVALLEY or THE QUEENHILLS

TEXO-METRO (texo is latin for weave/twine together - which, we be doin to the carolinas. also, the area's made up of a bunch of textile towns)

hence, the TEXTILLES!

and since i'm feelin the latin thing: CARUSLINA or CARUSELS (carus is latin for dear, beloved, costly, high-priced & expensive)

:)

seriously enough... where is the SUN-BELT? are we in it?

The Mayor wants to refer to Charlotte as "NASCAR Valley".

Hah, yea, I read that article about NASCAR not letting this region call itself NASCAR Valley like so many places want it done. Frankly I'm glad they aren't letting "us." While it is an integral part of our city's history, and it does give us some character outside of banking, I just cringe when I hear Charlotte referred to anything except Charlotte, especially when NASCAR is in the name. The reason the triangle and the traid have those names is because of the grouping of comparibly large cities all within the same metro. Charlotte has a population near 600k. The next three largest cities don't even break 100k a peice: Gastonia (68k,) Concord (56k,) and Rock Hill (50k) combined can't compete with Charlotte. Therefore, there shouldn't be any reason to call this metro anything but Charlotte. In my opinion, Metrolina was just a bad idea created by the Expo.

Gastonia (68k,) Concord (56k,) and Rock Hill (50k) combined can't compete with Charlotte.

Old figures. Rock Hill is likely over 60K now, having a 2004 est. population of ~58K. Your point still stands, but I just wanted to give Rock Hill as much shine as possible. :D

Therefore, there shouldn't be any reason to call this metro anything but Charlotte. In my opinion, Metrolina was just a bad idea created by the Expo.

:rofl:

I think the regional name should be Charlotte.

Exactly....People seem to not want to be considered a part of Charlotte....especially Gastonia, as well as Concord, Rock Hill, etc.......it makes no sense to me......I dont like the nickname "South Florida" for Miami......because it consists of Ft. Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach and alot of other places and is confusing to people who arent familiar with the area........and as for Atlanta, pretty soon Augusta and Columbus is gonna be considered ATL lol :rofl:

Exactly....People seem to not want to be considered a part of Charlotte....especially Gastonia, as well as Concord, Rock Hill, etc.......it makes no sense to me......I dont like the nickname "South Florida" for Miami......because it consists of Ft. Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach and alot of other places and is confusing to people who arent familiar with the area........and as for Atlanta, pretty soon Augusta and Columbus is gonna be considered ATL lol :rofl:

I do have say that I lived in Concord four years ago and I think most of the residents there have conceded that they are only a suburb of Charlotte. This is obvious as the greater majority of the new growth in Eastern Cab County (used to include Harrisburg and Kannapolis) is headed down 73, 85, 29, and 49 towards Mecklenburg.

Exactly....People seem to not want to be considered a part of Charlotte....especially Gastonia, as well as Concord, Rock Hill, etc.......it makes no sense to me

For the time being, I think Gastonia and Rock Hill still have somewhat of an identity apart from proximity to Charlotte--Concord less so, obviously. At any rate, I have no problem stating that I live in the Charlotte area or the Charlotte metro. I usually say that I live in Rock Hill, SC, which is only a few minutes from Charlotte.

Archived