Triangle,Triad, Metrolina?

Many many people including myself don't measure the quality of city life based on the number of ML sports played there.

I agree. I suppose it's one measure. Portland has 1 major team (and could lose them), but it is widely known to be one of the most liveable cities in North America, especially for outdoor activities, transit, and sustainable development.

Charlotte will always be more of an urban place, and the Triangle (incl Dur, Cary, CH) will probably offer more unique living choices... they each have strengths and to each his own. BTW, I think there is a topic on the NC board that covers differences betw Ral and Clt.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sort of in agreement that it should just be Charlotte. I think the metrolina name did its job as far as marketing and getting behind a regional idea. Now that the region is growing and starting to sustain itself on the "Charlotte brand" the metrolina name is a little, gimicky. For lack of a better word. Trust me I understand the reasoning behing it. I liken it to "Hotlanta". How corny is that now.

I am sort of in agreement that it should just be Charlotte. I think the metrolina name did its job as far as marketing and getting behind a regional idea. Now that the region is growing and starting to sustain itself on the "Charlotte brand" the metrolina name is a little, gimicky. For lack of a better word. Trust me I understand the reasoning behing it. I liken it to "Hotlanta". How corny is that now.

I think Hotlanta came in the wake of Paris Hilton expressing everything as "hot" as she claims she invented the term.

Anywho, I feel the word "gimicky" you used is the perfect expression for Metrolina. The region has sustained itself as you said, so there is little reason to push for further branding. You can even look at www.commoncensus.org (which I believe was brought to my attention on UP somewhere.) Unfortunately the option Metrolina, Triangle, or Triad are not given, so it's hard to tell. But it seems like a lot of people further out than the Charlotte CSA consider themselves influenced the most by Charlotte.

I think Hotlanta came in the wake of Paris Hilton expressing everything as "hot" as she claims she invented the term.

Heh, we were calling Atlanta, Hotlanta before she was born. :rofl: It's not exactly a term to be used in polite company considering some of the meanings of that word.

Interestingly enough the new NCDOT webpage shows the three major NC metros, but only includes Mecklenburg in "Metrolina." This raises a good question. What exactly encompasses the "Metrolina" region?

I actually was given a chance to comment on the page redesign, and thought that at a minimum, Gaston, Cabarrus, and Union should be a part of Metrolina as well, but I obviously lost the argument. :)

I believe the original definition of Metrolina was Mecklenburg and all the counties that bordered it. This includes 2 counties in SC that the NCDOT probably isn't that interested in.

That means Metrolina is:

• Mecklenburg

• Gaston

• Lincoln

• Iredell

• Cabarrus

• Union

• Lancaster, SC

• York, SC

Heh, we were calling Atlanta, Hotlanta before she was born. :rofl: It's not exactly a term to be used in polite company considering some of the meanings of that word.

Yea, I kinda figured. Too bad Charlotte doesn't have any similar words that sound "hot." I do like how the abbreviation for Charlotte sounds. CLT like ATL and NYC is unique to the city.

^Yeah, we are kinda lucky in that regard. Try working MCO, SDF, SNA, or YYZ into your Chamber's marketing materials. (answers: MCO=Orlando, SDF=Louisville, oddly... SNA=Santa Ana or "The OC", and YYZ=Toronto CN).

I'm trying to figure out the SDF and YYZ... those are stumping me.

Some (airport) city codes reflect the actual city name (CLT, ATL), but others are an abbreviation of the airport's official name. SDF stands for Standiford Field. Not exactly sure about the origin of YYZ (as it doesn't reflect "Toronto Pearson Airport"). Most Canadian cities have airport codes beginning with the letter Y.

Archived