New grocery store for East Liberty

TheGerbil

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to see but man, it would have been much better had it been located at the now vacated Giant Eagle on Center and Craig.

It's my understanding Trader Joe's has a smaller store than your standard Giant Eagle. In addition, this is part of an adaptive reuse project. TJ's is not building a new structure but converting an existing structure as part of a larger mixed-use development.

And I also believe E. Liberty can support another grocer. It is the link between Highland Park, Shadyside, Point Breeze... some of the most densely populated and affluent neighborhoods in the city. E. Liberty was once the East End's downtown... and it looks like it's re-establishing itself as such.

^^This is great news for E. Liberty, and your right Evergrey it was only a matter of time before ELib came back as the "center" of all in the eastend.

Balist, I too would love to see this start spreading down into Oakland, it is too bad that there is not a grocer down there yet. Pitt could actually step up and create something unique, maybe an enclosed specialty mall on the ground floor of a new residential highrise. Other schools have done things like that, I'd rather have the tax revenue from it but if that is the only way it's going to happen I'd like to see Pitt make a skyline out of the Cathedral's lead along Forbes (higher then 12 floors). Start using some of those ground floors (1,2 & 3) to serve the community at large.

Blue, looks like they might have to add stores or expand their original plans with that kind of reaction from area shoppers!

Well I'm not moving because of this, if that came out wrong. I'm just counting this as one less reason to ever have to drive to the suburbs for anything. All we need now is an IKEA in Lawrenceville or Bloomfield!

But I've shopped at Trader Joe's in Philly and once in Cali. Once people around here learn about it, they'll have the demand to open up 2-3 other locations easily.

Great news. TJ is what Pgh needs - a lower cost quality grocery. Whole Foods is too expensive and Giant Eagle is your typical supermarket. TJ's is quirky and innovative. I think it'll do great and they'll probably be expanding shortly. I can easily see them doing well in Monroeville, Mt. Lebonan, and the North Hills.

I am so glad that TJ's is coming, and is so close to my neighborhood of Highland Park! This is one of the biggest things I have missed since moving here from CA 2 years ago. I am only sad that we can't shop their great selection of wines and beer. When will the discussion start in the state about returning alcohol to the private sector? This is such an archaic way of doing business and a shame that a state of our size would continue this obviously corrupt system. Who does it protect besides the politicos and greedy union members that are employed there? These restrictive laws hurt new restauraunts and nightlife places, as well as stores such as TJ's that specialize in these products.

A funny users guide to Trader Joes for those in Manhattan:

http://www.gawker.com/news/trader-joes/

Although their basic products are all delicious!

^^Excellent point urban, it shows that the city is serious about redevelopment and being a showcase for the region. It is also nice that many suburbanites are noticing this as well.

Archived